Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Not the case and has never been. May be something anecdotal or by exception. Reading the DHS site, they make it clear that non-GOES/NEXUS/SENTRY passengers cannot use those services. You may be thinking of TSA Pre where travel companions can possibly get this on an exception basis.

I Am sure someone who knows a bit more than I on this point will post shortly.

Safe travels...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
TSA Precheck (in the US) is NOT extended to companions, unless that companion is under 12 (?) years of age. Either you get PC on your BP, or you don't.

These is some anecdotal evidence that says that travelling, non-PC companions on the same PNR may get PC on their BP when travelling with a PC-eligible pax. (I can't say as Mrs. pa3lsvt and Ma pa3lsvt both have Precheck and are the only pax that travel with me on the same PNR.)

CATSA works the same way - you either have a GE/NEXUS/SENTRI card to show to get access to the NEXUS security, or you don't and you go to the regular line.

OP can either leave their companion to fend for themselves in the regular line (ask my business travelling companions what I do when we get to TSA/CATSA: "I'll meet you on the other side!") or OP can go through the regular lane with their companion.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by tomkik
I was recently at YYZ T3 US security checkpoint. I am a Nexus member but my partner traveling with me was not, and the agent told us that my partner would not be able to use the Nexus lane.

It was my understanding from the CATSA website that travelers accompanying a trusted traveler on the same reservation were eligible to both use the Nexus/Trusted lane - is this not the case?

Thanks.
As per CATSA web site http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11 , Trusted Travelers (list includes NEXUS members and "those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight") receive direct access to airport security screening checkpoints- if Trusted Traveller screening lines are closed, Trusted Travellers receive front-of-the-line service in the queue. So, just to be clear, this has nothing to do with immigration (Canadian or US Preclearance). It applies only to airport security screening. When exiting Canada there is no such thing as NEXUS lane. CATSA recognizes NEXUS members as Trusted Travelers, among other categories.

Last edited by Iceland; Jun 16, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Iceland
As per CATSA web site http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11 , Trusted Travelers (list includes NEXUS members and "those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight") receive direct access to airport security screening checkpoints-
This has been my experience. The nly requirement seems to be that one have in one's possession a valid GE / NEXUS / SENTRI card.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:38 am

GE but with kids - should I do the app?

Hello - usually I travel alone and use my GE.
However, this time I'm arriving MIA with children.
In the past, I've just lined up with everyone else.

I see there is an app where you can register for yourself and family members but I'm concerned if I register myself this might confuse the GE system.

Should I just stick with the regular line when traveling with the family like I've always done?

I wouldn't want to mess up the GE system.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chuck1
Hello - usually I travel alone and use my GE.
However, this time I'm arriving MIA with children.
In the past, I've just lined up with everyone else.

I see there is an app where you can register for yourself and family members but I'm concerned if I register myself this might confuse the GE system.

Should I just stick with the regular line when traveling with the family like I've always done?

I wouldn't want to mess up the GE system.
I've merged your question into an existing discussion of this subject.

As has been discussed by several members upthread, you can use the Mobile Passport App. There is additional information in the following threads:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

hi guys

If I have a nexus card and my companion doesn't, we're on separate booking/tickets, do I still get to use my Nexus card or will I need to lineup in the standard line?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello @california786,

I moved your question to a thread dealing with this specific issue. Please check earlier posts for answers and information.

TWA884
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by california786
hi guys

If I have a nexus card and my companion doesn't, we're on separate booking/tickets, do I still get to use my Nexus card or will I need to lineup in the standard line?
Tickets/PNRs are irrelevant.

If you are at an airport POE, you can use the NEXUS kiosks but your companion will need to use the regular line.

If you are at a land crossing POE, you cannot use the NEXUS lane unless all occupants of the vehicle have NEXUS cards.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Tickets/PNRs are irrelevant.

If you are at an airport POE, you can use the NEXUS kiosks but your companion will need to use the regular line.

If you are at a land crossing POE, you cannot use the NEXUS lane unless all occupants of the vehicle have NEXUS cards.
Thansk pa3lsvt, that's what i was thinking. I'd rather use the nexus lines as oppose to standing in regular anyway
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:49 pm

How do you travel with a non-GE spouse and how do you proceed to customs (JFK)

My wife does not have GE. I am using GE because the APC Kiosks often give me a receipt with an X. I searched various forums about what is the proper way to go about exiting customs when one family member has GE and the better half does not. The CBP website is not very helpful and when I contacted them they offered a very generic answer. I am interested to know about your travel experience. We're flying into JFK.

So:

Do you pick up your GE receipt and then wait in line with your spouse (who gets an APC Receipt) to be both processed by the same officer?

Do you pick your GE receipt and wait across in the baggage claim, and then proceed together to customs?

Do you go your separate ways as two different travelers and meet after you exited customs?

My one big concern is proceeding to customs, This is where it gets confusing and am afraid one can easily get his/her GE revoked because there are no clear guidelines.

Do we each declare the overall contents of both our bags, or are we only responsible for the contents of the bag each checks in. Form 6059B Customs Declaration is meant to be filled by one family member for the entire family but what happens when one family member has GE and ones doesn't.

In other words if we bring a bottle of wine from abroad who declares it? The one who carries it, or both of us? Or would it be easier to buy two bottles so each of one declares "wine." That would be a win win.

Thank you
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
When I fly with my wife (who doesn't have GE) I actually use the Mobile Passport App for us both. Have found it to be just as quick (if not quicker in some cases) as GE.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:37 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by MiniWheats
My wife does not have GE. I am using GE because the APC Kiosks often give me a receipt with an X. I searched various forums about what is the proper way to go about exiting customs when one family member has GE and the better half does not. The CBP website is not very helpful and when I contacted them they offered a very generic answer. I am interested to know about your travel experience. We're flying into JFK.

<snip>
Welcome to FlyerTalk @MiniWheats!

I have merged your questions into an existing thread on this topic. Please take a look at earlier posts for advice and suggestions.

TWA884
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I can tell you with certainty that YOU CANNOT enter the CBP using the dedicated line if one party has NEXUS and one does not. You both must go to the regular line, or you will get into trouble otherwise. You have no status if travelling with parties who don't have a card.

Custom doesn't care in my experience, as GE /NEXUS has nothing to do with revenue collection.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 10, 2017 at 7:09 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:44 pm

Are you referring to land crossing? Or are you implying that you cannot use GE/Nexus if travelling by air with non-enrolled parties?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.