Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Old May 10, 2017, 7:55 pm

How to clear immigration and fill custom forms when one has GE, spouse does not.

Hello,
I have two questions

Regardless of how the GE receipt comes out( normal, an X or O) , should/can one GE member wait in line with the non-GE spouse?

How does such a couple go about the customs declaration?

It is my understanding the non-GE spouse has to complete a blue customs form. Am I correct to assume that this paper declaration should match the one of the GE member. Now i know the GE kiosk does not ask you to specifically name the items you bring in...but here is a scenario. Lets say the couple purchased wine, chocolate and coffee abroad. I take these items have to be declared verbally to the officer (in the case of the GE member who clicked yes on the food ustom questions and got,a receipt with an O) but also be written on the non-GE members blue form. Is this the right way to do it?
Thanks
Old May 10, 2017, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
@TurboTurtle;

I've merged your question into an existing discussion of that topic.

TWA884
Travel safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 14, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I will have no qualms ditching my SO and using GE/Nexus alone. She has chosen not to get GE/Nexus on ethical grounds. I'll be in the lounge.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:49 pm

U.S. citizen arriving to U.S. with foreign girlfriend

Hi All,

My Costa Rican lady and I (U.S. citizen) will be traveling from Costa Rica to the States for Christmas. I have GE and she is visiting the U.S. for the first time on a Non-Immigrant B-2 visa.

So, traveling together, when we arrive in BOS should we separate to go through immigration/customs and then try to meet up at baggage claim? Or, am I allowed to go with her (obviously knowing she can't come through GE lanes with me) to make sure she gets through ok? Anybody have experience with a similar situation?
Old May 28, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I advise going through completely separately and not meeting up until you've passed through Customs and are outside the CBP zone. She should not mention that she's in the US to see her American boyfriend, and you should not mention that you're bringing a girl with you. The general assumption is that she is coming to stay and will not return to Costa Rica if she's staying on your dime. She needs to be prepared to show that she has her return ticket, that she has money or credit to stay in the US for her vacation, that she has a job, family and house back home that she needs to return to.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
I advise going through completely separately and not meeting up until you've passed through Customs and are outside the CBP zone. She should not mention that she's in the US to see her American boyfriend, and you should not mention that you're bringing a girl with you. The general assumption is that she is coming to stay and will not return to Costa Rica if she's staying on your dime. She needs to be prepared to show that she has her return ticket, that she has money or credit to stay in the US for her vacation, that she has a job, family and house back home that she needs to return to.
Hmm. Those concerns were addressed in her interview during the visa approval process at the U.S. Embassy and she told them specifically that she would be traveling together with me, that I would be paying, and that we have tickets to return to CR just before the New Year. She was approved with no further questions. I suppose I could put some money in her bank account so she can have proof of money, print out a copy of her return ticket, and have her bring her proof of student status.

The pain-in-the-... thing is that our life (and my house) is in CR. I'm there 7 months of the year and we have zero interest in being in the U.S. other than visiting my folks for Christmas. That's why I thought it might be best if I go with her to help clarify the situation if need be. Do you still stick with your recommendation? I mean, they're going to ask why she's coming into the country - wouldn't it be prudent to tell the simple truth that we're going to be there for two weeks and then return together to CR?
Old May 28, 2017, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
@FincaEstrellita;

I've merged your question into an existing discussion of this topic.

TWA884
Old May 28, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
@FincaEstrellita;

I've merged your question into an existing discussion of this topic.

TWA884
I know she can't go through GE with me. My question is about whether it's recommended and/or possible that I, as a U.S. Citizen, accompany her, as a visitor on a B2 nonimmigrant visa, through the immigration and customs process.

Last edited by TWA884; May 29, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old May 28, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by FincaEstrellita
The pain-in-the-... thing is that our life (and my house) is in CR. I'm there 7 months of the year and we have zero interest in being in the U.S. other than visiting my folks for Christmas. That's why I thought it might be best if I go with her to help clarify the situation if need be. Do you still stick with your recommendation? I mean, they're going to ask why she's coming into the country - wouldn't it be prudent to tell the simple truth that we're going to be there for two weeks and then return together to CR?
Keep in mind that at the border the fact that someone has a visa does not guarantee entry. Whatever happens, she should nt lie. Since she mentioned you in the interview it could very easily come up at the border and if it does her story should certainly be the same. Therefore if it were me, I'd go through with her -- making sure to bring the documentation described above. I'd also bring evidence of your permanent residence outside the US and proof of your intended departure.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FincaEstrellita
Hmm. Those concerns were addressed in her interview during the visa approval process at the U.S. Embassy and she told them specifically that she would be traveling together with me, that I would be paying, and that we have tickets to return to CR just before the New Year. She was approved with no further questions. I suppose I could put some money in her bank account so she can have proof of money, print out a copy of her return ticket, and have her bring her proof of student status.

Just go with her via the visa-user line. Most times, it goes just fine. And even if you went separately from her, there may still be problems at the US port of entry. As long as she still has relevant ties to get her to return to Costa Rica -- which may well include you -- it's likely there won't be any problems. More often the problems end up hitting when going separately and the visiting significant other type seems to be less than straight in telling it as it is as perceived in the mind of a suspicious CBP employee.

I would suggest going through the same US port of entry passport control line as her.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just go with her via the visa-user line. Most times, it goes just fine. And even if you went separately from her, there may still be problems at the US port of entry. As long as she still has relevant ties to get her to return to Costa Rica -- which may well include you -- it's likely there won't be any problems. More often the problems end up hitting when going separately and the visiting significant other type seems to be less than straight in telling it as it is as perceived in the mind of a suspicious CBP employee.

I would suggest going through the same US port of entry passport control line as her.
Thank you much!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Global Entry when traveling with minor grand child?

Hello: We are returning from Aruba Sunday. Wife and I have GE. However, our 7 year old granddaughter does not. Can we go through GE with her or do we need to use the standard lines? Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Hello: We are returning from Aruba Sunday. Wife and I have GE. However, our 7 year old granddaughter does not. Can we go through GE with her or do we need to use the standard lines? Thanks.
Only GE members can use the GE kiosk and lines. You will need to use standard lines.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

Q. Do my Global Entry benefits extend to my travel companion(s) (children, spouse or co-traveler) who is/are not part of the Global Entry program?

A. Global Entry benefits are member specific and cannot be extended to others.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mnbp
Only GE members can use the GE kiosk and lines. You will need to use standard lines.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions
Came through today. Learned that we could get Hayley's printout through the standard passport scanners, then she can proceed through GE to turn her slip in. Worked out pretty well
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:53 pm

Nexus/Trusted Traveler Security Lane with Companions

I was recently at YYZ T3 US security checkpoint. I am a Nexus member but my partner traveling with me was not, and the agent told us that my partner would not be able to use the Nexus lane.

It was my understanding from the CATSA website that travelers accompanying a trusted traveler on the same reservation were eligible to both use the Nexus/Trusted lane - is this not the case?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.