Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Secondary Screening with Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secondary Screening with Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mistermap
I have been through preclearance using Global Entry at YYZ and YVR frequently in recent years. My passport has always been scanned by the CBP officer, and we have always had a brief conversation.
+1
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta
Interesting, thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah over the last 15 or so border crossings this year, I typically just get asked if I am declaring anything after going through global entry and that is all (even previously at YYZ). I was just caught off guard when the CBP officer went through an entire interview with me after handing him my global entry receipt and wasn't sure what might have triggered it. Maybe it's because I didn't have my passport in hand this time and was a bit disheveled carrying lots of stuff. Who knows?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Karl Itos
Interesting, thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah over the last 15 or so border crossings this year, I typically just get asked if I am declaring anything after going through global entry and that is all (even previously at YYZ). I was just caught off guard when the CBP officer went through an entire interview with me after handing him my global entry receipt and wasn't sure what might have triggered it. Maybe it's because I didn't have my passport in hand this time and was a bit disheveled carrying lots of stuff. Who knows?
It could be random or it could be intentional. Could be as simple as having a name and date of birth which are a fairly close match to someone CBP does find interesting.

If it keeps happening, there is a reason. Otherwise, forget it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm pretty much always questioned in YYC, YVR and YYZ with Global Entry/Nexus. It might be because they are essentially both immigration and customs in one. A complete u-turn compared to some other airports where I've not even had my passport looked at.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Once I had a CBP officer in GE line ask me if I had any food, which I said no. And he goes on asking if I had any Kimchi then if I had any Bulgogi. Which kinda started to annoy me. Then he goes on how much money I make, Why I am entering US, etc. It was a one off incident. Hopefully I don't have to see him again.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:06 pm

Never been asked, searched, randomized or anything the like. Post GE, all of those things that never happened before, never happened much quicker.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I use NEXUS (which includes GE benefits), and cross a couple of times every couple of years by air, and once a month by land. Other than to pay taxes owing (coming home to Canada, and not even always then), I've not had to go to secondary inspection once since I got NEXUS (8 years ago).

Of course, I'm cursing myself because I'm doing a land crossing of the SK/MT border tomorrow
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Global Entry at JFK Terminal 1

I flew EVA air from Taipei, Taiwan to JFK last week after a five weeks business trip in several countries including UAE, India, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand , China, Japan and Taiwan. Upon arriving at JFK Terminal 1, I went directly to GE Kiosk. I answered NO to all questions and followed the GE line marked on the floor.I was the first one to reach the control point ( first gate before baggage claim) so there was a friendly female officer who collect my slip and asked me a few questions like how long I have been away, do I bring any food and alcohol etc... I answered no. She then said “ welcome back home”. Everything was smooth and matched my previous GE experience so far.I then collected my bags. But there was no specific line for GE members at JFK Terminal 1 so I walk through the regular line. An officer seemed to be waiting for me… He asked “ You doing shopping while traveling?” ( I had three big bags) I said “ Yes a little bit” Then he leaded me to a separate area to inspect my bags. He first asked me how much cash I have and do I bring any food ect… then he asked me to open my bags ( there are three in total) to inspect. It took about 10 minutes to 15 minutes in total. After inspections without finding anything suspicious, he typed in computer for a while and then thanked me for my time. There is no mention of my GE statusI wonder did I do something wrong as I didn’t recall any similar experience at other terminals at JFK or EWR or other U.S airports. In my past experience, I would hand the slip when leaving baggage claim area. And usually immigration officer would waive me through without opening my bags.As I will fly EVA again back to New York, is there something I could do to prevent this happening again?Maybe I should show them my GE card? Or I was simply flagged for customers screening so I would need to open my bags no matter how and that was the reason my slip was collected by the first female officer I talked to after GE kiosk?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Hello @TransAsia,

I've merged your question into the tread discussing secondary customs screenings for Global Entry members.

You may also want to check this thread:
I arrived at JFK T8, where they also have unified immigration and customs inspections, from Europe a couple of weeks ago. As I was exiting the customs hall after using the GE kiosk, I noticed that several people were randomly flagged for secondary customs screening.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reason: More appropriate destination
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Having GE does not exempt you from a customs search.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Having GE does not exempt you from a customs search.
+1

GE exists to expedite the validation of your identity. I feel sorry for the <deleted by moderator>....

--J

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: Discuss the topic, not other members. FT Rule 12.2.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:28 pm

CBP Post-Customs Screening

Recently I have been stopped twice at two different airports for some sort of agricultural screening after going through customs with GE.

At EWR, an officer who was standing in the baggage collection area stopped me and asked to see my slip before I made it to the officer who was collecting the slips at the exit. She asked if I had food and I told her I had purchased some chocolates at the duty free at my departing airport. She made a mark on my slip and upon handing that to the officer at the exit I was sent to a secondary screening area where they asked me some questions and scanned my suitcase (but not the bag containing the chocolates I had purchased at the duty free- the officer looked inside that and told me not to put it through the scanner).

More recently at JFK, on my way out, after the GE slip had already been collected, the woman, who was standing in the screening area, motioned for me to go to the screening area as I was heading to the exit (the screening station is right next to the exit). She was more aggressive in her questions, asking not only the usual questions (where I had traveled, why) but also the zip code of my address in NY (multiple times throughout) and how many times I had traveled outside the US in the past year.

Does anyone have any insight on what this is and why I keep getting randomly called over for this screening? In both instances they were not stopping everybody to ask to look at their slip prior to getting in line for the exit (in the case of EWR) or called over to the screening area on their way out (in the case of JFK). Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Random screens are part of the CBP normal and GE experience. GE members are trusted travelers but are still subject to random screenings. You might have just hit a time of day or a flight where not permissible foods often come from. Cheeses from France & sliced meats from Italy are common catches for CBP. Agents may be told to review a certain number of travelers during a day.

Two flights is a small sample size but still understandably annoying. If it continues you could apply for a redress number hoping this removes any potential flags that may have been added to your file but this sounds like random selection with not so great luck to me.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:12 pm

All that makes sense, and I am probably over-reacting to what might just be a coincidence. The more recent experience did leave me quite annoyed as she would have picked me solely based on my appearance as the forms had already been collected at that point. I guess I will see if it continues to happen and then revisit. Thanks for the response.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by cactuspjs
Recently I have been stopped twice at two different airports for some sort of agricultural screening after going through customs with GE.

At EWR, an officer who was standing in the baggage collection area stopped me and asked to see my slip before I made it to the officer who was collecting the slips at the exit. She asked if I had food and I told her I had purchased some chocolates at the duty free at my departing airport. She made a mark on my slip and upon handing that to the officer at the exit I was sent to a secondary screening area where they asked me some questions and scanned my suitcase (but not the bag containing the chocolates I had purchased at the duty free- the officer looked inside that and told me not to put it through the scanner).

More recently at JFK, on my way out, after the GE slip had already been collected, the woman, who was standing in the screening area, motioned for me to go to the screening area as I was heading to the exit (the screening station is right next to the exit). She was more aggressive in her questions, asking not only the usual questions (where I had traveled, why) but also the zip code of my address in NY (multiple times throughout) and how many times I had traveled outside the US in the past year.

Does anyone have any insight on what this is and why I keep getting randomly called over for this screening? In both instances they were not stopping everybody to ask to look at their slip prior to getting in line for the exit (in the case of EWR) or called over to the screening area on their way out (in the case of JFK). Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk @cactuspjs,

I've merged your question into an existing tread discussing secondary customs/agricultural screenings for Global Entry members.

When I arrived at JFK Terminal 8 from Madrid in mid June, I saw several people who were randomly motioned over by a CBP officer at the exit from the customs hall for what I assume were secondary customs screenings.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.