Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Outgoing TSA chief says "random" precheck status is ending

Outgoing TSA chief says "random" precheck status is ending

Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by sky303
In my albeit relatively limited experiences since this, "announcement," I have noticed a lot fewer people in the Pre lines. Might have just been lucky, but what have others observed?
Precheck lines @ BOS & SFO usually contain fewer than ten passengers, at least when I fly, compared to a five-minute or more wait prior to November 2014.

The difference is so pronounced that I gave up my Clear membership, since it was no longer providing any perceptible benefit @ SFO.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Plenty of randoms directed to pre-check line yesterday in MCO.

Mike
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:59 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Hopefully it will phase through.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

I have encountered the pre check line at LGA several times when it is longer than the normal line because they allow so many non-registered people in.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I have encountered the pre check line at LGA several times when it is longer than the normal line because they allow so many non-registered people in.
Was this in the past six weeks? We've all seen instances like that, but the consensus is that those days are coming to an end.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Was this in the past six weeks? We've all seen instances like that, but the consensus is that those days are coming to an end.
About 8 weeks ago.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Cutbacks are coming to airline FF opt-ins as well

From the AS forum

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Okay, it's official: Those who opted-in to the PreCheck pilot through AS will now no longer get cleared for PreCheck as often.

This, on the Alaska Airlines PreCheck page:

Beginning in 2015, TSA will make refinements to the program. These changes will have no impact to passengers enrolled in a Trusted Traveler program and / or those who have been issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN). However, those without a KTN will not receive TSA Pre® as often, including those who opted-in for the pilot program in 2011.

And in today's Mileage Plan summary email for December 2014:

Important TSA Pre✓® Update
Beginning in 2015, TSA will make refinements to the program. These changes will have no impact to passengers enrolled in a Trusted Traveler program and/or those who have been issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN). However, those without a KTN will not receive TSA Pre✓® as often, including those who opted-in for the pilot program in 2011 and we encourage you to enroll in the Trusted Traveler Program to continue enjoying these benefits.

So while PreCheck benefits are apparently not going away for those who enrolled directly through Alaska Airlines, the benefits are not as likely to be as consistent starting this year.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Cutbacks are coming to airline FF opt-ins as well

From the AS forum
Excellent. It sounds as if TSA is being genuinely responsive to those of us who enrolled in the program and have a KTN as it winds down the first, broader phase of PreCheck.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I'm not so certain that allowing non-registered people into PreCheck lines will fade away quite so quickly. According to the WSJ last October:

The Transportation Security Administration’s PreCheck program is desperate for customers after three years of operation. TSA is hiring private contractors to launch a massive sign-up effort.

TSA needs millions more enrolled to make sure PreCheck lines are fully used.
And from The Hill just recently:

While Congress and the rest of us were slipping out for the holidays, the TSA quietly published its intent to hire big data companies to solicit you for PreCheck enrollment, and seek your consent to mine your grocery receipts, your credit card purchases, and even your Facebook posts to determine if you are a terrorist risk – not just once but on an ongoing basis...

The government has concluded that low participation rates in the expedited airport screening program known as PreCheck must be due to poor marketing and slow enrollment, as opposed to the flying public recognizing a bad deal when they see it.
What are those PreCheck lines going to be like if, and it's a huge if, the TSA is successful in recruiting more participants?

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 18, 2015 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
What are those PreCheck lines going to be like if, and it's a huge if, the TSA is successful in recruiting more participants?
They'll be exactly what TSA planned for -- and because the travelers in those lines will know what they're doing, the experience should be much more orderly and predictable than the situation we saw in 2013-14, when TSA was simply ushering clueless flyers into the lines and clogging them.

P.S. Nice to see someone else from Petaluma. My parents live just off Casa Grande.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm not so certain that allowing non-registered people into PreCheck lines will fade away quite so quickly. According to the WSJ last October:

It would be interesting to see Pre re-enrollment numbers.

TSA has hinted that ideally almost everyone (except evil-doers) will sign up for Pre, so much so that it will be come the default. Supposedly that meant more time to focus on groping and swabbing non-Pre pax.

I still wonder who gave TSA the numbers and business plan for this. On any given day, how many fliers are people who would likely be Pre candidates? 75%? Really? It isn't likely to include kids, first-time fliers, infrequent fliers, foreign tourists....A middle-class family of four flying on vacation every two years isn't going to pony up $300+ for a 'maybe' faster transit through the checkpoint a couple times.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Quote:

It would be interesting to see Pre re-enrollment numbers.

TSA has hinted that ideally almost everyone (except evil-doers) will sign up for Pre, so much so that it will be come the default. Supposedly that meant more time to focus on groping and swabbing non-Pre pax.

I still wonder who gave TSA the numbers and business plan for this. On any given day, how many fliers are people who would likely be Pre candidates? 75%? Really? It isn't likely to include kids, first-time fliers, infrequent fliers, foreign tourists....A middle-class family of four flying on vacation every two years isn't going to pony up $300+ for a 'maybe' faster transit through the checkpoint a couple times.
Maybe a majority of Americans view PreCheck as the extortion it is.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Maybe a majority of Americans view PreCheck as the extortion it is.
Since according to the WSJ, TSA needs millions more registered PreCheckers to make the program work, it would appear that you are correct.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Extortion... eh, I paid $100 and it's good for five years. I don't deal with the hassles of taking crap out of bags, I don't deal with long lines (usually), and I also avoid long lines coming in from international locales. Seems worth it to me.

The PreCheck lines at LGA's United terminal and DEN's Concourse A (walkway, not the big bullpen) were great for me a few weeks ago around the holidays. Granted it was Saturday travel.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
Extortion... eh, I paid $100 and it's good for five years. I don't deal with the hassles of taking crap out of bags, I don't deal with long lines (usually), and I also avoid long lines coming in from international locales. Seems worth it to me.
You have been successful extorted. Congratulations!

If only Tony Soprano (RIP) were as successful. He might never have had to enter into other criminal enterprises.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.