Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:37 am

If I remember correctly, you can use Nexus when crossing over land/sea but cannot use it when crossing over air. Not sure if that has changed.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:09 pm

It is supposed to be accepted in place of a passport for US and CA citizens flying to the US from CA pre-clearance airports.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Too bad that there are so many issues given that timatic is pretty clear on this :

Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dustman81
You are required to carry your passport if you travel by air, including to Canada. CBSA and CBP can ask you for your passport at any time, and if you don't have it, kiss NEXUS good-bye.
Show me the proof of this. I don't even have a passport and there is no requirement to use one. A NEXUS is a substitute to a passport. That is the offical response from the CBSA and CBP I have gotten.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Quoting IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll on 1-1-2018: "Too bad that there are so many issues given that timatic is pretty clear on this : "

Regardless of what Timatic says, the CBSA website makes clear that US and Canadian citizens may use NEXUS alone to enter Canada by any means from anywhere in the world. Of course, in many cases, the person attempting to enter Canada will have needed a passport to enter the country they're coming from, but that's a separate issue. Airlines, cruise lines, railroads, and taxi owners may require passports -- or for that matter, paper hats -- for boarding in addition to what CBSA requires.

Last edited by Wise Chaldean; Jan 6, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Used NEXUS card at YUL GE kiosk today. CBP didn't asked for passport. Other times, they have asked for passport despite using NEXUS card at kiosk.

As indicated back in post# 203, no data points so far on what actually happens if CBP ask for passport and you don't have it with you.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:50 pm
ALW

Can a Canadian Nexus holder travel by car to and from US while an application for a new passport is in progress? And does it matter whether it's a routine renewal or replacement of a lost passport?

Thanks!
​​=aw
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ALW
Can a Canadian Nexus holder travel by car to and from US while an application for a new passport is in progress? And does it matter whether it's a routine renewal or replacement of a lost passport?

Thanks!
​​=aw
NEXUS profile should be kept up to date with your travel document. There would be a risk it would be associated with a cancelled document while you are using NEXUS. Technically would be against the rules.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:48 pm
ALW

What about updating TTP to say no passport, is that possible? Sorry I can't check myself I'm on my phone and want to pass on an answer.

Thanks!
=aw
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ALW
What about updating TTP to say no passport, is that possible? Sorry I can't check myself I'm on my phone and want to pass on an answer.

Thanks!
=aw
You can only update document on file, not remove them.

Even if removal is an option, you'll definitely be violating NEXUS rules removing passport unless your citizenship on your NEXUS application was initially substantiated with a non-passport citizenship document (eg birth certificate or naturalization papers).

Disclaimer: Do I know for sure you can/can't use NEXUS in your situation? Not 100% sure.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Make the trip - no fear

Originally Posted by ALW

Thanks!
​​=aw
You should go ahead and make this trip. The risk of a problem is almost nil. I have never been asked for my passport when using NEXUS on a car trip, and was told by both US and Canadian border officers in Niagara Falls that land border crossings using an unexpired NEXUS card after a passport has expired is fine. I asked if, following the expiration of my passport, I should change my proof of citizenship on the TPP website to my birth certificate, and the officers said that would be pointless because an expired passport is evidence enough of citizenship (unless renounced, which generally automatically cancels your NEXUS membership). In the unlikely event that a border officer asks for your passport, just explain that it is being renewed/replaced. If possible, bring with you your birth certificate as backup proof of citizenship as well as your NEXUS card and DL. But go -- don't worry.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
You should go ahead and make this trip. The risk of a problem is almost nil. I have never been asked for my passport when using NEXUS on a car trip, and was told by both US and Canadian border officers in Niagara Falls that land border crossings using an unexpired NEXUS card after a passport has expired is fine. I asked if, following the expiration of my passport, I should change my proof of citizenship on the TPP website to my birth certificate, and the officers said that would be pointless because an expired passport is evidence enough of citizenship (unless renounced, which generally automatically cancels your NEXUS membership). In the unlikely event that a border officer asks for your passport, just explain that it is being renewed/replaced. If possible, bring with you your birth certificate as backup proof of citizenship as well as your NEXUS card and DL. But go -- don't worry.
I think if OP attempts to enter the US, it can go either way and really depend on the CBP officer conducting the examination.

​​
While CBSA has published that it’s officers have flexibility on what documents are acceptable in lieu of passport (eg birth certificate or even verbal declaration), I’m not sure if the same can be said for CBP.

I understand you asked one or a couple of CBP/CBSA officers but did you ask as a Canadian citizen, US citizen, or other national?

CBP/CBSA applies different requirements depending on whether you are US or Canadian or third party. Published US regulation requires passport for non-US citizens unless an alternative document under 22 CFR 41.2 is presented. Acceptable document under this section is a valid NEXUS card or an EDL. A Canadian birth certificate/naturalization certificate is not on this list unless the traveler is a child.

Regs and guidance from respective countries are clear that US birth certificate is accepted by CBP and up to CBSA officer discretion but the same may not be true for a Canadian birth certificate as CBP regs accepts it only if traveler is under 16.

The question is whether a NEXUS card with a citizenship document based on a cancelled/lost passport is considered a valid NEXUS card. An expired US passport is still considered proof of US citizenship. Does CBP apply the same interpretation to an expired Canadian passport? Because there is no general public guidance to fall back on, YMMV.

The following could happen.
  • Admitted to US
  • Not admitted but allowed to withdraw application for admission. Not sure what happens to NEXUS
  • Declared inadmissible (probably good bye NEXUS)

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 26, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

NEXUS profile should be kept up to date with your travel document. There would be a risk it would be associated with a cancelled document while you are using NEXUS. Technically would be against the rules.
I'm not sure about that. Rules say to keep documents up to date. Old passport, while not in holder's possession, could still be considered valid until it is returned cancelled. Until then, there's no document to update. I don't see this as being against the rules and I'm sure it comes up all the time. I've never heard of someone losing NEXUS over a pending passport renewal.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kiraly
I'm not sure about that. Rules say to keep documents up to date. Old passport, while not in holder's possession, could still be considered valid until it is returned cancelled. Until then, there's no document to update. I don't see this as being against the rules and I'm sure it comes up all the time. I've never heard of someone losing NEXUS over a pending passport renewal.
Does issuing authority record a passport as cancelled/lost in a database and that database is used by CBP/CBSA at PoE or they simply punch holes in it? If the later, I agree with you.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Does issuing authority record a passport as cancelled/lost in a database and that database is used by CBP/CBSA at PoE or they simply punch holes in it? If the later, I agree with you.
Who knows. But passport renewals are something that every NEXUS member has to deal with. The NEXUS rules say you have to keep your documents updated. Until you have your new passport in your possession, there is no document for you to update, and therefore no rule you are breaking.

Officials must run into NEXUS members with pending passport renewals all the time. There are no reports of this ever being an issue. Nothing to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.