Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kilarney
I am a US Citizen who recently flew on Air Canada from ORD to YUL. The gate agent would not let me board without seeing my passport. Canadian citizens only needed to produce a NEXUS card.
Unfortunately, getting an ignorant US airline gate agent is one of the risks of traveling without a passport.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SFO777
Unfortunately, getting an ignorant US airline gate agent is one of the risks of traveling without a passport.
This is common. You can try to argue for them to check Timatic all you want, it isn't worth the hassle.

I've also had US CBP at Canadian preclearance locations be really pushy about wanting to see my US passport even though I used my NEXUS card at the kiosk and presented it with the receipt. (YUL and YYZ; the couple times I went through YVR they only wanted to see the receipt).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:54 am

Except that this was an ignorant Canadian airline gate agent. And in her defense, she may have just been doing what she was told.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How about the possibility that the AC employee was following employer directives?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Often1
How about the possibility that the AC employee was following employer directives?
If so, the directive must have changed very recently.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Nexus refused as ID when boarding US to Canada flight

Yesterday on Delta flying JFK to YYZ the gate agent refuse my nexus card claiming it was a passport only flight. I had to step aside and hunt out my passport. As far as I know Nexus is legitimate ID for travelling US to Canada in all cases.
I reported this to the Delta Twitter, is there anywhere else I should report this? Is this common? I’ve used my nexus card for ID when boarding flights a lot, including US domestic and Canada domestic flights and Cross border flights many times.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rstruthe
Yesterday on Delta flying JFK to YYZ the gate agent refuse my nexus card claiming it was a passport only flight. I had to step aside and hunt out my passport. As far as I know Nexus is legitimate ID for travelling US to Canada in all cases.
I reported this to the Delta Twitter, is there anywhere else I should report this? Is this common? I’ve used my nexus card for ID when boarding flights a lot, including US domestic and Canada domestic flights and Cross border flights many times.
Hi rstruthe,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rstruthe
This is common across DL and AA.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
This is common across DL and AA.
Don't know about DL but I haven't had a problem with AAgents at JFK or LGA.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I've had AAgents at JFK/LGA/YUL/ORD all ask for passport.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:31 pm

Same here. I've had an Air Canada agent at ORD insist on a passport.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
As a datapoint, I checked in with Westjest on NEXUS at LGA, only to have a GA demand a US passport before I was able to board.

I would not try to board a US bound flight to Canada with a NEXUS card alone. Letter of the law alone, my experience its that you are far more likely to be rejected than not.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
As a datapoint, I checked in with Westjest on NEXUS at LGA, only to have a GA demand a US passport before I was able to board.

I would not try to board a US bound flight to Canada with a NEXUS card alone. Letter of the law alone, my experience its that you are far more likely to be rejected than not.
As I've mentioned previously, we've gone through US ICE pre-clearance at YVR US transborder entry, walked under the symbolic sign stating "Welcome to the USA," and then the ga still demands we show a passport.

Adding to the confusion, I need to show my NEXUS card to get into the GE line, since my passport doesn't show proof I have GE.

As the old saying goes, sometimes you can't fight city hall, so bring along all of your documents.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fredd
As I've mentioned previously, we've gone through US ICE pre-clearance at YVR US transborder entry, walked under the symbolic sign stating "Welcome to the USA," and then the ga still demands we show a passport.

Adding to the confusion, I need to show my NEXUS card to get into the GE line, since my passport doesn't show proof I have GE.

As the old saying goes, sometimes you can't fight city hall, so bring along all of your documents.
I recently flew AS from YVR, and saw someone have a similar experience. Anyone who checked in online was asked to show their passport at the gate and the passport number was typed into the computer.

One pax tried just using his NEXUS card, the GA (who also is a NEXUS member) tried to input the NEXUS card number but the system did not accept that number.

The GA then went on a lecture about "having to have your passport, even when using NEXUS, CBP can demand it" - I think he reads this thread - and the pax ultimately went and got his passport. (At least he tried, I'm sure an AA GA would have just scoffed at the NEXUS card out of hand.)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I recently flew AS from YVR, and saw someone have a similar experience. Anyone who checked in online was asked to show their passport at the gate and the passport number was typed into the computer.

One pax tried just using his NEXUS card, the GA (who also is a NEXUS member) tried to input the NEXUS card number but the system did not accept that number.

The GA then went on a lecture about "having to have your passport, even when using NEXUS, CBP can demand it" - I think he reads this thread - and the pax ultimately went and got his passport. (At least he tried, I'm sure an AA GA would have just scoffed at the NEXUS card out of hand.)
There you go. Yet this is what's stated on the CBP site (my bolding):

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.

If you are traveling with persons into Canada or the United States that are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes.
FWIW my own guess is that the airlines are operating under their own policies for processing border-crossing passengers and that their computer systems aren't set up for the CBP's preclearance rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.