Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
It did not read, not an error message. Next time I will turn it upside down and see.
Yeah, it can be hard to get it to read. I use it all the time, as I don't like pulling out my passport, after already having pulled out my NEXUS for security. I've always found turning it over works better.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The photo on the NEXUS card should be facing up when using at CBP kiosks so that the machine readable zone is facing down towards the scanner.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
The photo on the NEXUS card should be facing up when using at CBP kiosks so that the machine readable zone is facing down towards the scanner.
That was what I did. Next time if it still does not work, I will make sure face picture is closer to me.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by surreycrv
Are the words that govern, but everyone in a trusted traveler program knows the rules of the elevated status benefits of the program, they tell you at the interview how important they are.

Basic program reg's
1: You must have a travel document to apply for the program
2 :You must inform the agency of any changes to that/those underlying travel documents.
3: A violation of #2 can cause the benefits to be rescinded.

<deleted>. I got my nexus card without having a valid US or Canadian Passport. All I gave was my proof of citizenship.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 6:59 pm Reason: Unnecessary
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by manohman
<deleted>. I got my nexus card without having a valid US or Canadian Passport. All I gave was my proof of citizenship.
<deleted>
What was your proof of citizenship?
You don't need a passport if you drive between the two countries.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:03 pm Reason: Reference to a deleted comment
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: GE
I believe manohman is correct and CBSA does not require Canadian citizens to obtain a passport to enroll in NEXUS, but only to present proof of citizenship and identity (such as birth certificate+driver's license)

I'm not sure about US Citizens in NEXUS. CBP is rather vague. Perhaps due to the legal requirements of US citizens to have a passport or passport card for international travel, they can't officially endorse enrolling someone in NEXUS without one of those documents.

LPR's of both countries may have other requirements.

Global Entry by itself does require valid passport, as the basis of the program is fast entry by GE kiosk in US airports using passport.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:59 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
I'm not sure about US Citizens in NEXUS. CBP is rather vague. Perhaps due to the legal requirements of US citizens to have a passport or passport card for international travel, they can't officially endorse enrolling someone in NEXUS without one of those documents.
https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart is very clear; the "Passport Required" row says "No" for NEXUS and SENTRI. The interactive program selector tool also offers NEXUS if you explicitly say you don't have a passport, but removes Global Entry from the list.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Member

Paper application for NEXUS indicate you don't need passport. However not sure if you can use NEXUS Air if applied without passport.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by greglvnv
<deleted>
What was your proof of citizenship?
You don't need a passport if you drive between the two countries.
The Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The CIC no longer issue the wallet-sized citizenship cards. I also gave them my non-enhanced drivers license.

They took my fingerprints + iris scan too.

The interviewing CBSA and CBP agents seemed confused and insisted I needed a passport but I asked them to clarify with a supervisor who advised that I was indeed correct that you don't need a passport. Nexus is an alternative to a passport for travel between the United States and Canada.

Now, I have not tried using the NEXUS in air mode but nothing should theoretically stop me from doing so without a passport.. Even if their machines don't work, I could just go to the CBP desk to be processed without having a passport.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...erien-eng.html mentions nothing about a passport.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html seems to suggest only Mexicans and those with Canadian/US PR require a passport: "NEXUS members who are Mexican nationals or permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. must travel with a passport."

Last edited by manohman; Jul 24, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Problem is the airline, with the exception of Air Canada, probably won't let you check-in without a passport.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

Problem is the airline, with the exception of Air Canada, probably won't let you check-in without a passport.
So right! United kiosk doesn't have an option to check in with a Nexus card at all.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
WestJet lets you check in with a nexus card now as well.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Paper application for NEXUS indicate you don't need passport. However not sure if you can use NEXUS Air if applied without passport.
Yes, you can. I did it in August 2017, EWR-YVR, with no passport linked to my NEXUS account. I did carry my US birth certificate and DL as backup proof of citizenship and photo ID, but was never asked for them. If you fly United internationally from Newark without a passport, you must visit United's "Additional Services" desk to have your travel document verified and boarding pass issued. Allow a few extra minutes for this. Passport holders can check-in using the self-serve kiosks.

Last edited by Wise Chaldean; Oct 5, 2017 at 10:45 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I thought that I would share a data point.

I am a US Citizen who recently flew on Air Canada from ORD to YUL. The gate agent would not let me board without seeing my passport. Canadian citizens only needed to produce a NEXUS card.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by kilarney
I haven't read through the whole thread, but I thought that I would share a data point.

I am a US Citizen who recently flew on Air Canada from ORD to YUL. The gate agent would not let me board without seeing my passport. Canadian citizens only needed to produce a NEXUS card.
That is peculiar. You should have been allowed to show the same document you used to check in for your flight (presumably a Nexus card).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.