Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Then why are people reqd to update their expired supporting docs? This argument becomes circular, and can only be answered definitely by cbp.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by surreycrv
Then why are people reqd to update their expired supporting docs? This argument becomes circular, and can only be answered definitely by cbp.
In order to use the GE machines one needs the passport information match what is on file. Otherwise it won't recognise you at the GE machine. For Nexus though you just use the card. Thus no need for updated passport information.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:38 am

Then I'll offer a final retort. The officer at the booth, when driving thru the nexus lane, gets a screen view of all your current info before you arrive (which is why the lane is faster, we are expected to be organized) . It's not an automated crossing, he/she make the entry decision. If you truly believe a passport or edl tied to nexus, that has expired, isn't a flag, then I just don't know what to say. The card is the key, but your entire profile is visible at land or air ports. Anything less would be a leak in border control.

of course the above is merely my opinion, I am not employed by cbp and therefore am not the definitive authority on this matter.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Then I'll offer a final retort. The officer at the booth, when driving thru the nexus lane, gets a screen view of all your current info before you arrive (which is why the lane is faster, we are expected to be organized) . It's not an automated crossing, he/she make the entry decision. If you truly believe a passport or edl tied to nexus, that has expired, isn't a flag, then I just don't know what to say. The card is the key, but your entire profile is visible at land or air ports. Anything less would be a leak in border control.

of course the above is merely my opinion, I am not employed by cbp and therefore am not the definitive authority on this matter.
Sorry to disappoint but no passport is needed to cross the US land borders. Having an expired passport doesn't make one difference. You're not using it for entry, but rather the Nexus card.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry to disappoint but no passport is needed to cross the US land borders. Having an expired passport doesn't make one difference. You're not using it for entry, but rather the Nexus card.
<redacted>. Maybe an American can enter the US with an expired passport, but a Canadian can not. Then on the reverse, a Canadian can enter on an expired passport, but an American can not. <redacted>.

ETA, The poster asks about crossing to the USA, seems to be Canadian, so your advice about expired pp is factually wrong

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 20, 2016 at 12:13 am Reason: Personal exchange
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:01 pm

<redacted>. Maybe an American can enter the US with an expired passport, but a Canadian can not. Then on the reverse, a Canadian can enter on an expired passport, but an American can not. <redacted>.

ETA, The poster asks about crossing to the USA, seems to be Canadian, so your advice about expired pp is factually wrong
Not necessarily true, 8 CFR 212.1 and 22 CFR 41.2 specifically exempt Canadians from needing a valid passport if they present a "valid unexpired NEXUS program card"

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 20, 2016 at 12:14 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Please keep in mind that we established earlier that it is entirely possible to apply for NEXUS without a passport.

I think the question is really can NEXUS stand alone as a travel document during the 5 year period or does its validity during the 5 year period depend on the underlying citizenship document whether it be a passport or a citizenship/naturalization/birth certificate.

The citation to the US code suggest the former applies (even in NEXUS air mode) while FT reports on updating expired passport in person with CBSA suggest the later.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stacey Frayn
Could someone tell me if my nexus is valid for a land crossing by car although my passport is expired? I hear CBP lets people through but I'm not sure I believe that.

My passport just expired, but i have a nexus. I of course have applied for new one, but can I still travel into US? Looking forward o cross at PAC highway
Under the program rules, no, you cannot travel to the US even at a land crossing, using Nexus when your passport is expired. Your Nexus isn't invalidated when your passport expires, however you cannot use it to cross the broder until you renew and update your passport info. Don't listen to people who tell you that you can. You can certainly try but if it is noticed that your passport is expired, then you are risking your Nexus. I have no idea if they see this info (expired passport) when you scan your card at the border but I would strongly suspect they do and certainly wouldn't try it myself. This is directly from the CBP page: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...JidTg0bg%3D%3D

"Your Trusted Traveler membership date is not dependent on the passport expiration date. Membership will remain valid and active, even if the passport expires, however, you will not be able to use your membership at kiosks and land crossings until you update your new passport in the GOES system."
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ksharpe
I guess the question is, do the program rules apply if you're not trying to enter under the program? In which case, the Nexus card shows Canadian/USA citizenship and is an approved document under the WHTI.
Using the card is using the program. You are still a trusted traveller whether or not there is a Nexus/GE lane or kiosk and/or whether or not you choose to use it. That's like saying 'sorry I got caught bringing in goods way over my limit without declaring but I wasn't using my Nexus card or a Nexus lane so I wasn't really using the program'. Good luck with that. It is an approved document under the WHTI, that is not under dispute. But the question was can it be used with an expired passport and it cannot be until said passport is updated.

And yes, we are going to hear all kind of anectdotes about 'I used mine for 6 months with an expired passport and I didn't have an problems'. Great, good. But the OP asked if it was allowed and the answer is no. As I said, give it a try if you want to - I wouldn't. But it is against the rules of the program and it is spelled out in the page I linked. No whining if you lose your Nexus because it didn't work out.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question Nexus and No Passport

Hi All,

I've read a couple of threads on this topic, but the responses to seem to contradict each other, and would greatly appreciate any guidance.

My Situation:

I am an American, Canadian Permanent Resident, and I have NEXUS. My US (and only) passport is currently in the UK waiting for a visa to be stamped on it.

I have a flight back to IAH scheduled for this Friday the 30th, and it is looking very doubtful that my passport will be back in time. As I understand the rules, I need to have my NEXUS card and passport to enter the US, but I can re-enter Canada solely using the NEXUS card.

I understand that I can enter the US on land using the NEXUS card only. My plan is just adjust my flight schedule to BUF-ORD-IAH, then IAH-YYZ. I'll cross the border and stay the night in BUF on the way out, and return directly from Houston to Toronto.

Is this feasible? It's a very weird feeling to be stuck in a foreign country w/o a passport.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
This is feasible but it depends on the airline you are flying. Air Canada kiosks & GA's accept Nexus cards for check-in & boarding but United only accepts passports, regardless of the fact that a Nexus card is the only thing needed to enter Canada. Last time I flew from YUL to LAS on Air Canada, I did not even need a passport to pass CBP Preclearance. The agent said "if you are a U.S. citizen then I don't need to see your passport". Of course, he was able to verify that fact based on my Nexus card.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by greglvnv
This is feasible but it depends on the airline you are flying. Air Canada kiosks & GA's accept Nexus cards for check-in & boarding but United only accepts passports, regardless of the fact that a Nexus card is the only thing needed to enter Canada. Last time I flew from YUL to LAS on Air Canada, I did not even need a passport to pass CBP Preclearance. The agent said "if you are a U.S. citizen then I don't need to see your passport". Of course, he was able to verify that fact based on my Nexus card.
Thanks for your reply! So the return IAH-YYZ will be on AC, but BUF-ORD-IAH will be United. Do you think I will have any issues using a Canadian License and Nexus card to get through security?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
Thanks for your reply! So the return IAH-YYZ will be on AC, but BUF-ORD-IAH will be United. Do you think I will have any issues using a Canadian License and Nexus card to get through security?
Both Canadian Licences and Nexus cards are valid ids to get through TSA security screening.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Nexus card is totally sufficient as far as clearing TSA and since you'll be flying from BUF, United kiosk & GA will not ask you for a passport.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A Nexus card meets the US definition of a secure document for departure by air from the US. It is the outbound carrier's duty to check for such a document, whether AC or UA. TSA specifically lists Canadian licenses and all TTP cards, including Nexus, as valid ID for checkpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.