Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Immigration Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using a non-US APEC business travel card to avoid having to get a visa when traveling for tourism? I guess this is somewhat similar to using a business visa when traveling for tourism, which I also don't have any experience with. Is this an absolute no-go or is this something that usually doesn't lead to any issues?

I'll be traveling with my partner who is from Mexico and she will get this card soon because her work takes her to SE Asia often, and we will be traveling through a few countries there next year, and it would be nice for her to not have to get a bunch of visas.

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:40 am

Traveling with an Apec card does not change your status for getting a visa. The Apec card allows you to go to special line. All visa requirements remain the same.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Traveling with an Apec card does not change your status for getting a visa. The Apec card allows you to go to special line. All visa requirements remain the same.
That's for the US issued APEC card (as well as for entry into the US by APEC card holders). For other countries it does remove the visa requirement. See http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-a...avel-card.aspx

"ABTC removes the need to individually apply for visas or entry permit"
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
That's for the US issued APEC card (as well as for entry into the US by APEC card holders). For other countries it does remove the visa requirement. See http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-a...avel-card.aspx

"ABTC removes the need to individually apply for visas or entry permit"
Not just US-issued ABTC cards, also for Canada-issued ones too - both are transitional members.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:51 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using a non-US APEC business travel card to avoid having to get a visa when traveling for tourism? I guess this is somewhat similar to using a business visa when traveling for tourism, which I also don't have any experience with. Is this an absolute no-go or is this something that usually doesn't lead to any issues?

I'll be traveling with my partner who is from Mexico and she will get this card soon because her work takes her to SE Asia often, and we will be traveling through a few countries there next year, and it would be nice for her to not have to get a bunch of visas.

Thanks!
Mexico-issued ABTC should be OK to visit full ABTC member countries visa-free, at least for countries listed on her card.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Mexico-issued ABTC should be OK to visit full ABTC member countries visa-free, at least for countries listed on her card.
Have you ever tried entering a country using your ABTC as a tourist where you would otherwise have needed a visa? Or is there anything that you see during the entry process using the ABTC legitimately into some of these countries (Thailand+Vietnam in particular) that makes you think there would be a problem doing so as a tourist?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:19 am

Have you ever tried entering a country using your ABTC as a tourist where you would otherwise have needed a visa? Or is there anything that you see during the entry process using the ABTC legitimately into some of these countries (Thailand+Vietnam in particular) that makes you think there would be a problem doing so as a tourist?
My US-issued ABTC is not a substitute for visas, and I always make sure I have visas if required.

Your friend should check on the back of her card the ABTC members that she will be cleared to enter.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Nov 18, 2016 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
I do not have any personal practical experience, but I found the following at
http://travel.apec.org/faqs.html

Can ABTC holders be denied of entry? 
The APEC Business Travel Card Scheme in no way alters the right of an economy to determine who may travel to, enter and remain in that economy, including a business person who has been issued with an ABTC. If a cardholder does not conform to the relevant visa/entry requirements of an economy, such as intending a genuine business visit, the cardholder may be refused entry.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:18 am

HK issued ABTC on a UK passport here. Have used it in China several times where I would normally need a visa. Have used it both for personal and business purposes. Never been an issue. My ABTC is my China visa as far as I (and the PRC authorities) are concerned. And for the avoidance of doubt the PRC is listed on the back of my card.

I have also used the ABTC in other countries (where as a GB passport holder I am visa exempt) without any issue for personal travel to use the priority lanes. I have even been able to use it in the USA for a part personal and part business trip as well. The one country where they seem not to understand what an ABTC is Canada though, I have never successfully been able to use it there for priority lanes.

You need to check the back of your card to see which countries are approved.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by theworld
HK issued ABTC on a UK passport here. Have used it in China several times where I would normally need a visa. Have used it both for personal and business purposes. Never been an issue. My ABTC is my China visa as far as I (and the PRC authorities) are concerned. And for the avoidance of doubt the PRC is listed on the back of my card.

I have also used the ABTC in other countries (where as a GB passport holder I am visa exempt) without any issue for personal travel to use the priority lanes. I have even been able to use it in the USA for a part personal and part business trip as well. The one country where they seem not to understand what an ABTC is Canada though, I have never successfully been able to use it there for priority lanes.

You need to check the back of your card to see which countries are approved.
Hong Kong is the only ABTC member that issues ABTC card based on permanent residency, but not on nationality. It is a substitute for visas for full ABTC members that are approved on the card but not for transitional ABTC members (USA and Canada). As a UK passport holder, you can enter US visa-free (with ESTA) anyway, and the ABTC card allows you to use the ABTC lanes (sometimes crew lanes) in US.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Hong Kong is the only ABTC member that issues ABTC card based on permanent residency, but not on nationality. It is a substitute for visas for full ABTC members that are approved on the card but not for transitional ABTC members (USA and Canada). As a UK passport holder, you can enter US visa-free (with ESTA) anyway, and the ABTC card allows you to use the ABTC lanes (sometimes crew lanes) in US.
Good news, thanks for the info. Seems like a super powerful card to have if it also makes going to China that easy.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:16 pm

Good news, thanks for the info. Seems like a super powerful card to have if it also makes going to China that easy.
As long as you have China pre-approved on the back of your card.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Do you tick "leisure" or "business" when going into China (for leisure) on an APEC card?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: APEC
APEC Cardholder - Aussie Travelling from Paris to Vietnam

Hello all.

I am an Australia with an APEC card allowing travel from Australia to Vietnam. My question is, if I am in holiday in Paris and I am leaving Paris to go to Vietnam, can I use my APEC card without having to apply for a Visa? I leave on 12th July, so if anyone knows this answer and can post quickly it is much appreciated.

Cheers.
Nigel
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Enrich (Platinum), Privilege Club (Gold), MVP Gold
APEC to enter Vietnam

You don't need it and the airlines should treat your APEC card as if you have entry rights i.e. visa.
justin_krusty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.