Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That answers one of the four important questions.

For what it is worth, I remove my Apple Watch and toss it in my carry-on along with everything else before going through Pre-Check.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Originally Posted by milemonkey
On all four flights this year my wife has been “randomly” been pulled aside for additional security screening. This can’t be random otherwise she should be playing the lottery.
Any idea why?
We are both United Silver, PreCheck and Global Access
Out of 14 screens this year, I've been hit 6 times, including 3 straight - the previous Saturday (STL), Tuesday (DEN) and Wednesday (STL). I'm US-born, Delta Diamond, Clear and PreCheck (including an early online renewal in February). No watches - only a wedding band and a belt that's never triggered alarm.

I'm based in DEN and fly so often that two of the TSA agents that confirm entry after Clear know me by name. I find it hard to believe that it's random, especially since 3 out of 6 happened in DEN. Since I have nothing to hide and I'm used to it, I've just accepted it and have factored it into my travel routine. However, it seems like those stops would be better used on others.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Nexus, AS MVP
ORD this week in the Pre area I got the "random" beep at the WTMD. They directed me to a body scanner which I refused due to medical device sensitivity. They then asked to swab my apple watch I was still wearing and sent me on my way.

Been a long time since I've been directed to the body scanner but in the past a refusal resulted in a pat down.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by cinsu
ORD this week in the Pre area I got the "random" beep at the WTMD. They directed me to a body scanner which I refused due to medical device sensitivity. They then asked to swab my apple watch I was still wearing and sent me on my way.

Been a long time since I've been directed to the body scanner but in the past a refusal resulted in a pat down.
What is WTMD? Beep sound when the agent at the security line scanned your boarding pass & checked your ID?? Did you see SSSS on your boarding pass?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
<redacted by moderator>. PreCheck is open at D/E from 3:45 AM to 8 PM. That is my preferred checkpoint at PHL regardless of what terminal I am flying from. I have never seen D/E be all MMW scanners, unless it was past 8 PM.
https://www.phl.org/Pages/passengeri...o_default.aspx.
<redacted by moderator>.

Every flight I've taken out of D/E in the past few years has been midday - between noon and 5pm - and I've seen Pre√ closed as often as I've seen it open. YMMV.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 11, 2019 at 9:13 am Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical trusted traveler advice/information
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What is WTMD? Beep sound when the agent at the security line scanned your boarding pass & checked your ID?? Did you see SSSS on your boarding pass?
WTMD = walk-through metal detector. There is a beep (different from the "metal detected" sound) when you've been randomly selected for additional screening, unrelated to SSSS.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about PreCheck passengers being randomly selected for extra screening as they go through the metal detector. It is not about the opening hours of the PreCheck lanes at specific airports or terminals.

While some natural deviation from the subject of the thread is fine, when the focus of the conversation shifts to availability and opening hours of the PreCheck lanes, in keeping with FlyerTalk Rule 5 - Stay On Topic, it is time to start a new thread on that topic.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
WTMD = walk-through metal detector. There is a beep (different from the "metal detected" sound) when you've been randomly selected for additional screening, unrelated to SSSS.
You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS. I always empty out all my pockets, shirt or pant when entering that door. You just walk in straight and then collect your bag from the tray. Pre-check allows us to not have to remove belt but it will beep if you have belt right?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS. I always empty out all my pockets, shirt or pant when entering that door. You just walk in straight and then collect your bag from the tray. Pre-check allows us to not have to remove belt but it will beep if you have belt right?
​​​​​​If your confident assertion were correct, somehow I doubt we would have a 14-page thread on the topic of random secondary screening
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​If your confident assertion were correct, somehow I doubt we would have a 14-page thread on the topic of random secondary screening
I wasn't sure , it is my thought and that's why I have the question mark.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:57 pm

I wasn't sure , it is my thought and that's why I have the question mark.
Sorry if I misinterpreted, I was replying based on your statement "You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS." It​ is possible for none of those things to be true, yet still get randomly selected for another check, whether that's imaging, or a swab test of your hands/electronics, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

I am "randomly selected" over 50% of the time, either for extra screening, pat-down or swabbing. I have been "randomly selected" even when I was the only person in line. My wife and I figure that I must be on some list but I checked the SDN list and I am not there. I fly domestically and to Canada.. The last time to YYZ everyone had boarded and they announced my name over the cabin speaker and asked if I was on board. After answering affirmatively, I was asked to leave the plane and have my passport rechecked. I did and got back on, luckily causing no delay. I am a 66 years old.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:16 pm

I have global entry TSA pre check. Something beeped and I was asked by one of the tsa worker to wait to be seen by someone . It wasn’t good feeling to be standing just waiting to be seen by another tsa employee . . A woman behind me also entered but beeped but she was asked to renter and let go. Very strange why I was asked to wait to be seen by someone else. I wonder if it beeped cos I took out my wallet and phone out of my pocket and put them in bowl? Or is it because I booked this flight only a day before the flight date ? After few mins of impatiently waiting , a tsa employee swabbed my iPhone and asked to remove laptop or tablet from my back pack . I didn’t have any so I told her I have none . After she swabbed my iPhone for few secs I was let go. Thankfully it was fast. This was a domestic trip one way trip on AA. My return flight few days later is on southwest .will it beep again to be seen by another TSa employee? Thanks . BtW I do have redress number . Doesn’t help I guess. I never had any issue on domestic flight except for this one . I got redress number cos I got SSSS on international return flight to USA. I got it again a year ago on return flight to US.

Last edited by Sherab Sherab; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:03 pm

On my return flight, I had the same issue, "beep beep". Was asked to go in the scanner , raised my hand . Was quick though. I had my hand bag checked because one of the TSA guy told me it could be some glass or jar i was carrying. He was right. He opened my bag and the plastic bag. I had 2 small jars of chilly sauce in my bag. I wonder the beep, the phone swab and scanner was all due to my last minute flight booking? I booked flight to NY just a day before the flight with AA. I had my return flight 4 days later on SW, booked 3 days before the flight. I wonder if someone is responsible for this to happen or it is just the computer that decides who to single out?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
On my return flight, I had the same issue, "beep beep". Was asked to go in the scanner , raised my hand . Was quick though. I had my hand bag checked because one of the TSA guy told me it could be some glass or jar i was carrying. He was right. He opened my bag and the plastic bag. I had 2 small jars of chilly sauce in my bag. I wonder the beep, the phone swab and scanner was all due to my last minute flight booking? I booked flight to NY just a day before the flight with AA. I had my return flight 4 days later on SW, booked 3 days before the flight. I wonder if someone is responsible for this to happen or it is just the computer that decides who to single out?
I think that it is just random. I can’t see any reasonable way they could alert the metal detector that you had been personally selected for additional scanning and search. After the ID checker does their job you could be first in line or twelfth in line and there’s no easy way to sort that out. Now if you’d gotten the dreaded SSSS then I could see a possible connection with your booking but even that seems a stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.