Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
You get tagged as uncooperative, which means you will get even more screening (bag dump, full pat-down, etc.).
Haha .I only travel with a purse. And checked in bags. No cell no computer. Plus I still cant hold my arms up at all.I am tiny.In tight clothes.I am over 60+
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:27 pm
Suspended

After all the false positives last month with the AIT machines, I am just going to opt for the patdown if/when this happens or if I don't happen to get pre-check.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by airplanegod
After all the false positives last month with the AIT machines, I am just going to opt for the patdown if/when this happens or if I don't happen to get pre-check.
That's what I do, since I'm going to get a patdown anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Same here. I find it ironic that I can wear my shoes and belt through the WTMD, through the MMW, but have to take them off to be scanned if I opt out from my 'random'.

Today I get the full monty as I got my biannual random PC miss.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Same here. I find it ironic that I can wear my shoes and belt through the WTMD, through the MMW, but have to take them off to be scanned if I opt out from my 'random'.

Today I get the full monty as I got my biannual random PC miss.
I normal just go and reprint a BP from a kiosk. Most times it'll appear.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:10 pm

Can anyone verify that you are still able to opt-out when you get the random beep with Precheck? My brother told me that they didn't give him the option to opt-out but he also didn't escalate this. I would appreciate any information that people may have regarding this.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I have opted out each time I have been randomized by the WTMD. Shoes & belt go through the baggage x-ray and a standard opt-out pat down is given.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I opted out with no issues in DEN in May. Got the random beep at SFO Terminal 4 yesterday and was already saying opt out when I realized there were no rapiscanners nearby for the Pre line. They did a very perfunctory pat down, not like when I opted out in the International Terminal without pre at the start of my trip.

If your brother isn't comfortable or pressed for time, just ask for two comment cards after clearing the screening. Fill it out and drop one there in the box and mail the other to the address on the card.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I opted out with no issues in DEN in May. Got the random beep at SFO Terminal 4 yesterday and was already saying opt out when I realized there were no rapiscanners nearby for the Pre line. They did a very perfunctory pat down, not like when I opted out in the International Terminal without pre at the start of my trip.
SFO Terminal 4?

Security for the DL gates (40-49) has AIT; I've opted out after being randomly selected twice from the Precheck WTMD.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Zorak
SFO Terminal 4?

Security for the DL gates (40-49) has AIT; I've opted out after being randomly selected twice from the Precheck WTMD.
Boy, I got turned around there. Terminal 2/ Gates 50-59. No scanner next to the Pre WTMD.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Random selection for TSA PreCheck screening not random?

My husband has been using TSA PreCheck for years - first as a Platinum AA flyer, now with Global Entry. Suddenly he is being chosen for "random" screening almost every time (7 of the last 8 flights). This is not the SSSS screening; this is at the point where he goes through the metal detector and is given the beep. It doesn't seem to be linked to his profile, because he's already passed the checkpoint. I don't think he appears physically to be a threat (average height/weight middle-aged businessman).

It seems mathematically impossible for this to be random. (I get pulled out about 10% of the time). What could be the problem?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ehallison
My husband has been using TSA PreCheck for years - first as a Platinum AA flyer, now with Global Entry. Suddenly he is being chosen for "random" screening almost every time (7 of the last 8 flights). This is not the SSSS screening; this is at the point where he goes through the metal detector and is given the beep. It doesn't seem to be linked to his profile, because he's already passed the checkpoint. I don't think he appears physically to be a threat (average height/weight middle-aged businessman).

It seems mathematically impossible for this to be random. (I get pulled out about 10% of the time). What could be the problem?
It's random.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ehallison
Not only is this NOT impossible, but knowing the likelihood of any individual pax being chosen by the random alarm allows the calculation of the precise probability of being selected 7 of 8 times.

For example, flipping a fair coin (exactly 50/50 heads vs. tails) 8 times will result in exactly 7 heads 3.125% of the time. Very far from impossible.

Even more, assuming the probability of being selected at any given trip changes (say the TSA plays with the % selected function from day to day), if we knew the likelihood of selection on any given trip we can calculate the exact probability of being selected 7 times out of 8.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Is the WTMD sensitivity adjustable, and/or variable by site/equipment? I have a watch with a metal body and band; after being selected randomly twice in a row out of Precheck at SFO (after having never been randomly selected), I started taking the watch off along with emptying my pockets and have not been randomly selected since.

I definitely do not consider this statistically significant, just wondering if it's a possible cause.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Not only is this NOT impossible, but knowing the likelihood of any individual pax being chosen by the random alarm allows the calculation of the precise probability of being selected 7 of 8 times.

For example, flipping a fair coin (exactly 50/50 heads vs. tails) 8 times will result in exactly 7 heads 3.125% of the time. Very far from impossible.

Even more, assuming the probability of being selected at any given trip changes (say the TSA plays with the % selected function from day to day), if we knew the likelihood of selection on any given trip we can calculate the exact probability of being selected 7 times out of 8.
We don't know the chances of being selected, but it's much less than 50/50. I'm guessing about a 10% rate (which seems within the realm of possibility based on my experience, and my husband's previous experience). My probability calculating skills are a little rusty, but if we assume 1/10 chance of being chosen, then the chances of being chosen 7 out of 8 random tries are miniscule: .00001% or 1 in 100 thousandths percent. (1/10 7 times, times 9/10)

So I'm still skeptical that it's random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.