Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry

My wife just got her GE and we wanted to test the PreCheck for the first time today; she got the three beeps (approved) but was randomly selected for further screening. We understood that getting expedited screening is not guaranteed at PreCheck as the TSA reserves the right to randomly select the PreCheckers for further screening. It just so happens that my wife got selected on the very first time she used it. Was she just unlucky or the odds are better than 50/50 you get selected for full screening?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Never been randomly selected (PreCheck or otherwise) for further screening in the last several years. In my experience, at least, the odds seem way less than 50/50 to get the full monty when qualifying for PreCheck, or at all, for that matter. Maybe she just got REALLY lucky...

Right after 9/11, I did get "randomly" selected practically every time I flew. My record is 4 "random" selections in one trip involving 2 non-stop flights. I was "randomly" selected at the checkpoint AND the gate on both the outbound and return flights. I was dating my now-wife long distance at the time, and she laughed when she would drop me off at the airport because I would get selected at the checkpoint almost every time.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

I occasionally get my hands swabbed at a PreCheck lane. Twice at LAX, once at PDX.

The PreCheck lane was broken one trip through LAX so everyone had to go through the regular screening.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I think in my 50+ trips through PreCheck, I've been sent to have my hands swabbed at the ETD machine twice, both times in ATL. Took all of 15-20 seconds.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My PreCheck success rate is 25%.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Not much better here. About 30%
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: QFF
On my last trip through the US (don't remember which airport...) the TDC was filtering between PreCheck and Premium and handing out PreCheck advertising cards to the people who didn't clear PreCheck. He was saying that people cleared for PreCheck had a 10% chance on each trip to be selected for normal screening.

Of course, he also didn't believe me when I said that I wasn't able to get PreCheck (not having a FF membership of a US airline in the program or being eligible for Global Entry).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Agreed, mine is in that range, too. But the OP is asking, on those 25% of times where you actually got to use pre-check, were you ever pulled aside for additional screening?

For me, the answer is no.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
Double checked Secure Flight data

I was able to use PreCheck two out of two on my recent weekend trip, but my wife went 0 for 2. I double checked four times over our secure flight data and our GOES profile data to make sure the data matched exactly. I wish the TSA and/or scanner would return a code as to why PreCheck was rejected so we can fix the secure flight data for future flights. We will try it again on the trip to LAS this weekend. Frustrating when I can breeze through security in two minutes, but wait another 20 minutes for my wife.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 787dreamer
Frustrating when I can breeze through security in two minutes, but wait another 20 minutes for my wife.
You should be even more frustrated that your government is determining trustworthiness of lowly citizens based on how much money they give to private businesses (the airlines).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Of course, after talking about how I've never been selected for a random screening after precheck, I get the long beep as I was walking through theWTMD just a little while ago at ORD. Quick and painless, though, as it was just a hand swab. Finished before my bags even came out the other end of the conveyor belt.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Himeno
On my last trip through the US (don't remember which airport...) the TDC was filtering between PreCheck and Premium and handing out PreCheck advertising cards to the people who didn't clear PreCheck. He was saying that people cleared for PreCheck had a 10% chance on each trip to be selected for normal screening.

Of course, he also didn't believe me when I said that I wasn't able to get PreCheck (not having a FF membership of a US airline in the program or being eligible for Global Entry).
At DFW, the TSA three-striper told me that if you got cleared to use PreCheck 30% of the time, you were doing well.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862
I think in my 50+ trips through PreCheck, I've been sent to have my hands swabbed at the ETD machine twice, both times in ATL. Took all of 15-20 seconds.
Exactly the same for me, but change ATL to ORD (my home airport).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I had never had a "fail"...but the last 3 times I've flown I had to go thru the full search after going thru the precheck line. Oh well, at least the lines were shorter.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcresq
I had never had a "fail"...but the last 3 times I've flown I had to go thru the full search after going thru the precheck line. Oh well, at least the lines were shorter.
What was this full search? Was your bag pulled from the belt for inspection?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.