Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Reply

Old Mar 9, 19, 11:29 am
  #196  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,293
That answers one of the four important questions.

For what it is worth, I remove my Apple Watch and toss it in my carry-on along with everything else before going through Pre-Check.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:53 pm
  #197  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver CO
Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by milemonkey View Post
On all four flights this year my wife has been “randomly” been pulled aside for additional security screening. This can’t be random otherwise she should be playing the lottery.
Any idea why?
We are both United Silver, PreCheck and Global Access
Out of 14 screens this year, I've been hit 6 times, including 3 straight - the previous Saturday (STL), Tuesday (DEN) and Wednesday (STL). I'm US-born, Delta Diamond, Clear and PreCheck (including an early online renewal in February). No watches - only a wedding band and a belt that's never triggered alarm.

I'm based in DEN and fly so often that two of the TSA agents that confirm entry after Clear know me by name. I find it hard to believe that it's random, especially since 3 out of 6 happened in DEN. Since I have nothing to hide and I'm used to it, I've just accepted it and have factored it into my travel routine. However, it seems like those stops would be better used on others.
AvalancheDog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 19, 8:41 pm
  #198  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YYJ | PDX
Programs: TSA Pre, AS MVP
Posts: 3
ORD this week in the Pre area I got the "random" beep at the WTMD. They directed me to a body scanner which I refused due to medical device sensitivity. They then asked to swab my apple watch I was still wearing and sent me on my way.

Been a long time since I've been directed to the body scanner but in the past a refusal resulted in a pat down.
cinsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:22 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by cinsu View Post
ORD this week in the Pre area I got the "random" beep at the WTMD. They directed me to a body scanner which I refused due to medical device sensitivity. They then asked to swab my apple watch I was still wearing and sent me on my way.

Been a long time since I've been directed to the body scanner but in the past a refusal resulted in a pat down.
What is WTMD? Beep sound when the agent at the security line scanned your boarding pass & checked your ID?? Did you see SSSS on your boarding pass?
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:39 pm
  #200  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,086
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt View Post
<redacted by moderator>. PreCheck is open at D/E from 3:45 AM to 8 PM. That is my preferred checkpoint at PHL regardless of what terminal I am flying from. I have never seen D/E be all MMW scanners, unless it was past 8 PM.
https://www.phl.org/Pages/passengeri...o_default.aspx.
<redacted by moderator>.

Every flight I've taken out of D/E in the past few years has been midday - between noon and 5pm - and I've seen Pre√ closed as often as I've seen it open. YMMV.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 11, 19 at 9:13 am Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical trusted traveler advice/information
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:31 am
  #201  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,789
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
What is WTMD? Beep sound when the agent at the security line scanned your boarding pass & checked your ID?? Did you see SSSS on your boarding pass?
WTMD = walk-through metal detector. There is a beep (different from the "metal detected" sound) when you've been randomly selected for additional screening, unrelated to SSSS.
Zorak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:24 am
  #202  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,309
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about PreCheck passengers being randomly selected for extra screening as they go through the metal detector. It is not about the opening hours of the PreCheck lanes at specific airports or terminals.

While some natural deviation from the subject of the thread is fine, when the focus of the conversation shifts to availability and opening hours of the PreCheck lanes, in keeping with FlyerTalk Rule 5 - Stay On Topic, it is time to start a new thread on that topic.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:22 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
WTMD = walk-through metal detector. There is a beep (different from the "metal detected" sound) when you've been randomly selected for additional screening, unrelated to SSSS.
You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS. I always empty out all my pockets, shirt or pant when entering that door. You just walk in straight and then collect your bag from the tray. Pre-check allows us to not have to remove belt but it will beep if you have belt right?
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:35 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,789
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS. I always empty out all my pockets, shirt or pant when entering that door. You just walk in straight and then collect your bag from the tray. Pre-check allows us to not have to remove belt but it will beep if you have belt right?
​​​​​​If your confident assertion were correct, somehow I doubt we would have a 14-page thread on the topic of random secondary screening
Zorak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:48 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
​​​​​​If your confident assertion were correct, somehow I doubt we would have a 14-page thread on the topic of random secondary screening
I wasn't sure , it is my thought and that's why I have the question mark.
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:57 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,789
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
I wasn't sure , it is my thought and that's why I have the question mark.
Sorry if I misinterpreted, I was replying based on your statement "You must have a metal object, a penny or key or belt in your pant's pocket. Otherwise you should have SSSS." It​ is possible for none of those things to be true, yet still get randomly selected for another check, whether that's imaging, or a swab test of your hands/electronics, etc.
Zorak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 1:21 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 54
I am "randomly selected" over 50% of the time, either for extra screening, pat-down or swabbing. I have been "randomly selected" even when I was the only person in line. My wife and I figure that I must be on some list but I checked the SDN list and I am not there. I fly domestically and to Canada.. The last time to YYZ everyone had boarded and they announced my name over the cabin speaker and asked if I was on board. After answering affirmatively, I was asked to leave the plane and have my passport rechecked. I did and got back on, luckily causing no delay. I am a 66 years old.
hoffmich45 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread