Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AA++
GE revoked and never did anything wrong

Hi All

I just realized my GE revoked when I tried to use GE kiosk at DFW 3 weeks ago after transiting from Cancun to LAX.
The indication was clear - I lost TSA pre before that and I thought it was a problem with TSA pre. Turned out I lost GE, so I lost TSA pre as well.

I have never done anything against the law or had issues with custom. The worst I did was a speeding ticket years ago, but then my GE was already approved after that. I have had GE for over 6 years and renewed about a year and half ago.

I logged in Global Entry website and it said my GE was revoked in Feb 2019 and based on "You do not meet the program eligibility requirements"

Now, I notice some interesting points:

- I went to Mexico 4 times last year. 2x to Cabo and 2x to Cancun. All only for short-trip vacation, since I love those places.
- When I got back from Cancun 3 weeks ago, I went to the kiosk that scanned green card and US passport. It gave me an X on my ticket redirecting me to line up and be processed manually by CBP officer at desk.
- Officer asked me very interesting questions: Who did you go to Mexico with? I said alone. Who did you meet? A friend. Who is this friend? I said my friend from russia. Did you visit any other city? I said yes, playa del carmen.
Then, he put my GC and passport into a sealed plastic box with my ticket numbered "844".
He scared the hell out of me by passing me to another officer who took me to secondary room where people waited for long time (I believe it is the interrogation room - place to decide your admissibility, where people get searched, interrogated and phone get confiscated to be investigated without your consent - a foreigner friend of mine got this before and deported for no reason). Only 1 minute after sitting down, another officer called up my name. Then, he took me out of the room and asked me to get my luggage and directed me to the custom check. So, up to this point, I felt better because the issue is more of custom, not admissibility! ( I am a GC holder - I think GC is still not safe sometimes!)
- Custom officer basically checked everything in my luggage and bag. Found nothing and let me go.

Another interesting point: Last year, in Nov 2018, when I got back from Tokyo. In LAX, I used the GE kiosk, and I got my ticket X-ed. The officer told me it is probably problem with fingerprint. He was very nice and courteous (compared to DFW officers). He let me go. But, it could be first indication something was wrong with my GE? (I went to mexico 4 times earlier before Tokyo trip).

Questions:
1. Is this because of my travel pattern to Mexico that is triggering a warning in their system, since we all know Mexico is famous for illegal stuff? Or, I may have forgotten to update my new driver's license? Any idea?
2. I can go to LAX GE office there and ask. But, is this OK? Any experience?
3. In GE website, I saw 2 options: "Reapply" and "Reconsider". Which one should I choose? Any recommendation what to write to ombudsman if I choose "reconsider"?
4. Anyone know what "844" means on the custom ticket?

BTW, I applied TSA pre right away after I noticed my GE is gone. I got it approved real fast 3 days after I did biometric appointment.

Thanks for any answers.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ssg10
1. Is this because of my travel pattern to Mexico that is triggering a warning in their system, since we all know Mexico is famous for illegal stuff? Or, I may have forgotten to update my new driver's license? Any idea?
I bet Mexico was the reason. I seriously doubt that failure to update will result in revocation.

They won't tell you...

3. In GE website, I saw 2 options: "Reapply" and "Reconsider". Which one should I choose? Any recommendation what to write to ombudsman if I choose "reconsider"?
The problem with the reconsideration is in many times, you don't even know what you are screwed for. So the ombudsman may not be a better route.

When you re-apply with a recent revocation, unless you have spare money to spend, it is a waste of time.

To make this simple - move on. You are done with GE.
Often1 and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Reading between the lines, OP traveled to Mexico to meet a Russian national and somehow that was picked up in Mexico before OP returned to the US. Especially if that Russian national triggered any alarms for CBP or other USG agencies.

That has flagged OP and has booted him out of the "trusted" traveler program. As noted above, if that is the reason, OP will never be told and neither reapplying nor asking at a local GE office is likely to produce any results, although asking at a local GE office is at least cost-free.

I do not know that the front line Officers at GE offices even have access to background information as to why a revocation took place.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread:

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 12, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: Removed circular link after threads were merged
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'd say the significance of '844' is that it has no significance and is just a ticket number to place you in the queue - just like those they have at deli counters and some train stations or for a walk up blood test.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi All

I just realized my GE revoked when I tried to use GE kiosk at DFW 3 weeks ago after transiting from Cancun to LAX.
The indication was clear - I lost TSA pre before that and I thought it was a problem with TSA pre. Turned out I lost GE, so I lost TSA pre as well.

I have never done anything against the law or had issues with custom. The worst I did was a speeding ticket years ago, but then my GE was already approved after that. I have had GE for over 6 years and renewed about a year and half ago.

I logged in Global Entry website and it said my GE was revoked in Feb 2019 and based on "You do not meet the program eligibility requirements"

Now, I notice some interesting points:

- I went to Mexico 4 times last year. 2x to Cabo and 2x to Cancun. All only for short-trip vacation, since I love those places.
- When I got back from Cancun 3 weeks ago, I went to the kiosk that scanned green card and US passport. It gave me an X on my ticket redirecting me to line up and be processed manually by CBP officer at desk.
- Officer asked me very interesting questions: Who did you go to Mexico with? I said alone. Who did you meet? A friend. Who is this friend? I said my friend from russia. Did you visit any other city? I said yes, playa del carmen.
Then, he put my GC and passport into a sealed plastic box with my ticket numbered "844".
He scared the hell out of me by passing me to another officer who took me to secondary room where people waited for long time (I believe it is the interrogation room - place to decide your admissibility, where people get searched, interrogated and phone get confiscated to be investigated without your consent - a foreigner friend of mine got this before and deported for no reason). Only 1 minute after sitting down, another officer called up my name. Then, he took me out of the room and asked me to get my luggage and directed me to the custom check. So, up to this point, I felt better because the issue is more of custom, not admissibility! ( I am a GC holder - I think GC is still not safe sometimes!)
- Custom officer basically checked everything in my luggage and bag. Found nothing and let me go.

Another interesting point: Last year, in Nov 2018, when I got back from Tokyo. In LAX, I used the GE kiosk, and I got my ticket X-ed. The officer told me it is probably problem with fingerprint. He was very nice and courteous (compared to DFW officers). He let me go. But, it could be first indication something was wrong with my GE? (I went to mexico 4 times earlier before Tokyo trip).

Questions:
4. Anyone know what "844" means on the custom ticket?

BTW, I applied TSA pre right away after I noticed my GE is gone. I got it approved real fast 3 days after I did biometric appointment.

Thanks for any answers.
What is a GC or a GC holder? And what do you mean when you say that sometimes GC is not safe?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Reading between the lines, OP traveled to Mexico to meet a Russian national and somehow that was picked up in Mexico before OP returned to the US. Especially if that Russian national triggered any alarms for CBP or other USG agencies.

That has flagged OP and has booted him out of the "trusted" traveler program. As noted above, if that is the reason, OP will never be told and neither reapplying nor asking at a local GE office is likely to produce any results, although asking at a local GE office is at least cost-free.

I do not know that the front line Officers at GE offices even have access to background information as to why a revocation took place.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. My GE was already revoked a month before I met my russian friend in mexico.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is a GC or a GC holder? And what do you mean when you say that sometimes GC is not safe?
GC = green card = green card holder
I read DHS website and googled a lot. Having a GC is not a guaranteed admission to the US. It is up to officers. While citizen cannot be denied admission.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 11, 2019 at 9:47 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; formatting
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Hello. Thanks for the reply. My GE was already revoked a month before I met my russian friend in mexico.

GC = green card = green card holder
I read DHS website and googled a lot. Having a GC is not a guaranteed admission to the US. It is up to officers. While citizen cannot be denied admission.
If you are eligible to apply for your U.S. citizenship and would like to become a U.S. citizen, apply ASAP. Many think being a U.S. permanent resident is the same as a U.S. citizen. Until something happens to him/her, then realize it is a huge difference, by then it is too late. S/he gets deported to a country where s/he has very little connection, although it is his/her birth country.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:56 am

Looks like this thread has not been up to date.

I just got my GE revoked on Feb 2019. I have no criminal record, never argued with CBP, never got issue at custom, all clean. I only went to Mexico 4 times last year for short vacation in cancun and cabo. Maybe this is why I got flagged for the travel pattern. But, not sure why it waited until Feb 2019 to revoke.

Now, I have 2 options at the website: reconsider or reapply. I read in this thread somebody tried to reapply, but couldn't do so because he did "reconsider" first and still in process. So, which one is best? Any experience and data points?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Now, I have 2 options at the website: reconsider or reapply. I read in this thread somebody tried to reapply, but couldn't do so because he did "reconsider" first and still in process. So, which one is best? Any experience and data points?
I'm not sure either of those is likely to get you far, as whatever got you triggered probably still remains.

I used the CBP ombudsman service (but then again, I knew why they revoked mine) and it took about six months, but mine was fully restored on appeal.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

I just got my GE revoked on Feb 2019. I have no criminal record, never argued with CBP, never got issue at custom, all clean. I only went to Mexico 4 times last year for short vacation in cancun and cabo. Maybe this is why I got flagged for the travel pattern. But, not sure why it waited until Feb 2019 to revoke.

I don't think four trips to Mexico would trigger a revocation. Did the revocation letter give any indication of why you were revoked? If you don't know the reason, a redress inquiry is probably your only viable option.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

We have a rule against cross-posting (FT Rule 6), however, since you received a couple of substantive answers in this thread, instead of deleting your question here, I wnet ahead and merged your original thread into this one.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is pretty scary because it could happen to any of us. All it takes is somebody who doesn't like you and decides to go onto the dark web (via TOR) place an order for "you", pay in bitcoin, and provide your address. Boom. Maybe even worse than swatting though that has gotten people killed.

I would agree that GE is the least of OP's problems. Hire a good criminal attorney and have him reach out to USPIS, US Attorneys office, CBP &/or DEA. It may cost you a few $$ but better than waking up to LEO knocking on your door to arrest you at 6am.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:12 pm

Am I the only one <suspicious of this>? An account opened on FT just to "ask" about GE revocation which makes totally NO sense.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 15, 2019 at 9:26 am Reason: FT Rule 12
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sillypainter
Am I the only one Am I the only one <suspicious of this>? An account opened on FT just to "ask" about GE revocation which makes totally NO sense.
I would disagree.

Unlike many, OP did return and provide some follow-up. Also - given that OP's situation will directly result in a criminal investigation, assuming that OP retained a lawyer for such purpose, the lawyer would advise OP not to speak in a public forum like this unless it has been resolved.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 15, 2019 at 9:27 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.