Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure that written communications will see the light of day for a long time.

If you are near a Consulate or you travel through an airport with a GE office, perhaps you could stop by?

Consider that whatever else there may or may not be affecting your status, at a minimum, even a routine online retailer would flag your address as fraudulent unless it exists in both the US and UK.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:57 am

Husband GE Revoked because of expiration of medication bottle

Hello
out of LAX last week , very verbally abusive customs agent searched my husband and when he saw 2 of his prescription bottles had recommended expiration date had passed he started shouting at my husband and telling him " either you abuse your anxiety medication or you sell them because they are expired "
he almost did not let my husband board our international flight
his prescription bottles were originals that had his name , doctors name , RX etc
we had never heard of any requirement to travel with med bottles that had current expiry dates and some don't even have expiration dates ,

even when I look up online CBP rules state as long as medication is on original RX container you are complying with rules
this agent was obviously on a power trip
he then told my hubby he was going to give him a warning but 2 days later he got an email saying his global entry had been revoked
we are furious , he never broke any rules to deserve this , so pathetic
Old May 16, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Welcome to FT!

You describe a troubling scenario. Sorry to hear about this, however, ins, a bit confused:

You were departing LAX on an international trip, but went through CPB? Usually, when you enter the US, you go through CPB.

You described very bad behavior on the part of the agent. If your husband did not escalate, he is sure to prevail on appeal.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:13 am

Yes we were leaving lax in our flight to australiA and this happened during secondary bag inspection on the gangway by customs agent

we already filed a complaint but don't have much hope because I've heard from colleagues they don't do much about those

thanks
Old May 16, 2017, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 747FC
You were departing LAX on an international trip, but went through CPB? Usually, when you enter the US, you go through CPB.
CBP has ramped up the proportion of departing transoceanic flights on which it is on a hunt for cash and other stuff at the departure gate areas/jet-bridges. So it's rather routine to go through CBP when leaving the US by air.

And these CBP exit hunts hit passengers of non-European ethnic-origins more than most others on the same flights. While it's mostly about hunting for undeclared cash/cash-equivalents requiring declaration prior to exit from the US, sometimes it's about whatever/whomever catches the fancy of the CBP employees at the moment. Looking at medicine-containing containers for concealed cash is sometimes done, but the CBP employee mentioned by the OP seems to be co-mingling prescription drug export with unlawful drug transport along with a hunt for questionable money.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RoTraveler
Yes we were leaving lax in our flight to australiA and this happened during secondary bag inspection on the gangway by customs agent

we already filed a complaint but don't have much hope because I've heard from colleagues they don't do much about those

thanks
Are you a GE member? It's possible that a husband's GE revocation can result in the spouse's GE revocation too -- even if on a much delayed basis. So it may be best to push in for an appeal, not just for him but perhaps even for you.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am indeed very sorry to hear that. Did you or your husband argue (or explain in an escalated manner) with the agent? That may result in revocation of his and your trusted travelers' status.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you a GE member? It's possible that a husband's GE revocation can result in the spouse's GE revocation too -- even if on a much delayed basis. So it may be best to push in for an appeal, not just for him but perhaps even for you.
thanks I am a GE member too , however I don't travel as much as my hubby and we have different last names
no we did not argue with the agent as we know these people you can't really argue with
my hubby just told him that he did not know of any rule that requires dates on prescription med bottles to be current. But the guy did not care and continue rambling about oh no it is ILLEGAL those were his words , his rambling about RX meds did not make any sense (I am a physician ) but of course we did not argue with him because he was on a power trip and had threatened not to let him board our flight

Last edited by RoTraveler; May 16, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:02 pm

Global Entry Revoked

I'm kicking myself for being negligent. Yesterday I flew into SFO and did not declare an apple that was in my backpack. Honestly, I completely forgot it was there. (If I knew it was there, I would had declared it. I'm not looking to create any trouble. My finacee who lives overseas just got diagnosed with a late-stage and rare cancer and I had been in and out of her hospital all week. My mind was thinking of her.) CBP revoked my GE on the spot and I had to pay a $500 fine. I'm pretty upset with myself for not being more focused.

1. Is there anything I can do, meaning, can I reverse the decision? I already paid the fine, I thought about appealing but was not sure how successful that would be.

2. What happens to me now as an international flyer? Am I marked as a high-risk flyer? Will I get thoroughly checked every time I enter into the US? The CBP told me that from now on I am not a low-risk flyer, and this distinction is for life.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @tv424,

I'm terribly sorry for your troubles. I hope that your fiance gets well soon.

I've merged your question into an exiting thread discussing Global Entry revocations. There is a lot of good information in earlier posts.

You may also want to check the thread dealing particularly with Global Entry revocations due to not declaring fruit/agricultural products; there are a lot of data points and suggestions there.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by tv424
I'm kicking myself for being negligent. Yesterday I flew into SFO and did not declare an apple that was in my backpack. Honestly, I completely forgot it was there. (If I knew it was there, I would had declared it. I'm not looking to create any trouble. My finacee who lives overseas just got diagnosed with a late-stage and rare cancer and I had been in and out of her hospital all week. My mind was thinking of her.) CBP revoked my GE on the spot and I had to pay a $500 fine. I'm pretty upset with myself for not being more focused.

1. Is there anything I can do, meaning, can I reverse the decision? I already paid the fine, I thought about appealing but was not sure how successful that would be.

2. What happens to me now as an international flyer? Am I marked as a high-risk flyer? Will I get thoroughly checked every time I enter into the US? The CBP told me that from now on I am not a low-risk flyer, and this distinction is for life.

Thanks in advance.
Based on the data points I've seen, you probably will get extra scrutiny when you enter the country for the next year or so. And you probably won't get GE back for a long time, if at all. That said, it can't hurt to appeal to the ombudsman and explain your situation. You'll get a decision in 6-8 months.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Based on the data points I've seen, you probably will get extra scrutiny when you enter the country for the next year or so. And you probably won't get GE back for a long time, if at all. That said, it can't hurt to appeal to the ombudsman and explain your situation. You'll get a decision in 6-8 months.
I've traveled numerous times to international countries in the past 3 years without any issues. I hate to think just because of lapse due to terrible circumstances that I'm going extra scruntinized.

I'll go ahead and appeal and see what happens.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tv424
I've traveled numerous times to international countries in the past 3 years without any issues. I hate to think just because of lapse due to terrible circumstances that I'm going extra scruntinized.

I'll go ahead and appeal and see what happens.
Welcome to FT, a fount of information--some good and some painful.

Unfortunately, being in a Trusted Traveler program adds special responsibilities upon the participants. One has a duty to not make mistakes. Unfortunately, to err is human, and you have found out that there are strict sanctions on program violators. It is highly unlikely that an appeal will be successful.

If I were in your situation, I would appeal in an effort to show my contrition. I would hope that someone reading my letter 10 years down the line might grant me another try in the Trusted Traveler program. I would not hold out hope that it would be granted within a decade.

Just a bit of information on how I approach entry back into the USA. Before stepping on the plane, I write down every item of food that I possess. I place that information in two columns: Food Acquired Abroad and Food Re-importing back to the USA. When I get the "O", I give my list to the CPB, along with a verbal explanation. Do I need to do it? No. This format helps me think through the process before jet lag sets in, hopefully preventing the type of mistake that you unfortunately made.

Good luck in your appeal...

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 29, 2017 at 11:53 pm Reason: Add info
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Just a bit of information on how I approach entry back into the USA. Before stepping on the plane, I write down every item of food that I possess. I place that information in two columns: Food Acquired Abroad and Food Re-importing back to the USA. When I get the "O", I give my list to the CPB, along with a verbal explanation. Do I need to do it? No. This format helps me think through the process before jet lag sets in, hopefully preventing the type of mistake that you unfortunately made.
That's a great idea, thanks. I'm extra careful, but a bit paranoid I'm going to forget something, especially after reading and hearing stories like those in this thread. I really don't want to lose my NEXUS--it's too valuable to me!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Going down this rabbit hole myself now. Conditionally approved for NEXUS renewal, until I got to the CBP agent in person who made two remarks: (1) I've never seen anyone who's been to this many countries and (2) you can't travel to Cuba without a specific license from OFAC. He requested I fax "any additional information on Cuba" to him.

Simultaneously approved and then revoked after I sent the fax outlining the terms of the general license, and confirmed that I meet all terms of the license.

Last edited by ironmanjt; Sep 24, 2017 at 11:04 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.