Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
However, it would be nice to know what the is OP's current status re GE.
Follow-up is always a nice thing from an OP.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:04 am

GE Revoked - contact ombudsman or?

I received an X on the slip after returning from my father's funeral in Europe. LAX Customs/DHS officials took my card, told me I'm no longer eligible for the Global Entry program, and send me through secondary where they x-rayed my bags and let me go.

Now I am frustrated since they will not tell me why. I want to write to the Ombudsman, but I have no idea what facts to present because I didn't do anything to violate any regulation whatsoever. In fact I have a government security clearance that requires a background check every 5 years which is much more thorough than the background checks for Global Entry.

Does anyone have any luck with the Ombudsman revealing the reason, when initially they won't tell? I feel this has been unjust and troubling because I have a spotless record and compliance with regulations.

Last edited by flyingpolarbear; May 4, 2013 at 1:56 am
Old May 4, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Strange.. Have you tried to login to your GOES account to see if it says anything?
Old May 4, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyingpolarbear
I received an X on the slip after returning from my father's funeral in Europe. LAX DHS officials took my card, told me I'm no longer eligible for the Global Entry program, and send me through secondary where they x-rayed my bags and let me go.

Now I am frustrated since they will not tell me why. I want to write to the Ombudsman, but I have no idea what facts to present because I didn't do anything to violate any regulation whatsoever. In fact I have a government security clearance that requires a background check every 5 years which is much more thorough than the background checks for Global Entry.

Does anyone have any luck with the Ombudsman revealing the reason, when initially they won't tell? I feel this has been unjust and troubling because I have a spotless record and compliance with regulations.
Very odd. A tangential question though - why did you even have your GE card to surrender to DHS since it is useless when flying?
Old May 4, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Strange.. Have you tried to login to your GOES account to see if it says anything?
GOES online says it's revoked, 3 days after landing. Only reason it states is that I'm not eligible. I searched Google and apparently the same thing happened to a bunch of other people - revoked for mysterious reasons and they won't reveal why.

Does anyone have experience writing the Ombudsman when the reason is not revealed? This whole process would make more sense if they could lay out the (erroneous) info they have come across, and I could correct them.

Last edited by flyingpolarbear; May 4, 2013 at 1:47 am
Old May 4, 2013, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
Do you live close to an interview station? I would show up at one without a reservation and not leave until I received a satisfactory explanation.
It would seem a reasonable guess that if the reason for the ineligibility is deemed sensitive, they don't disclose that reason in their records easily available to all employees, i.e., the staff at the interview station may honestly have no way of finding out.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
It would seem a reasonable guess that if the reason for the ineligibility is deemed sensitive, they don't disclose that reason in their records easily available to all employees, i.e., the staff at the interview station may honestly have no way of finding out.
My work is right nearby LAX so I already stopped by there again, and a nice officer was trying to be helpful but after I asked him for half an hour "could it be this? could it be that?" he honestly didn't seem to know. I am interested to hear anyone's experience in writing to the Ombudsman in clarifying their mysterious reasons.

Last edited by flyingpolarbear; May 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Old May 5, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The whole thing is unbelievable given the extensive Federal background checks I go through as part of my job, and how carefully I already comply with every little regulation.
I am concerned that your job might be the secret behind the X
Old May 5, 2013, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am concerned that your job might be the secret behind the X
My first thought as well. I was talking to a guy a few years ago having some drinks (I had just met him, I was a professional colleague of his girlfriend) and in a discussion of travel hassles he mentioned he always gets full secondary screening. I asked if he knew why and he said it was because he had a pilots license. I processed this and then remembered that he had said earlier that he learned to fly while flying fighters for the US Navy. I asked if I was mistaken about the fact that US Navy fighter pilots undergo incredibly rigorous background and psychological testing prior to being put alone in the cockpit of an incredibly advanced and enormously dangerous weapons system. He laughed.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Other reasons why Global Entry has been revoked include being associated with or related to other persons who are on a watch list, suspicious travel patterns, using the GE kiosk incorrectly or retrying entry on another kiosk after one failed, not disclosing law infractions later expunged, and trying to evade inspection.
Hmm, I went to Europe twice in one month, purchasing my airline tickets just a few days ahead of time. The first time because my father was critically ill and wanted to see me one more time. The second time to attend his funeral. Is it possible that personal travel twice to Europe on short notice in one month could be flagged as suspicious travel? Or I am stretching too far to think of possible reasons?
Old May 6, 2013, 8:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I went to Europe twice in one month, purchasing my airline tickets just a few days ahead of time. The first time because my father was critically ill and wanted to see me one more time. The second time to attend his funeral. Is it possible that personal travel twice to Europe on short notice in one month could be flagged as suspicious travel? Or I am stretching too far to think of possible reasons?
You might wish to contact Christopher Elliot who has had positive results with GE in the past. But you have to make that choice for yourself.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You mention your father lived in Europe. Is or was he a citizen of a country that is still unfriendly or was unfriendly to the U.S. at any time? The "sins of the father" is one possible avenue?
Old May 6, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You mention your father lived in Europe. Is or was he a citizen of a country that is still unfriendly or was unfriendly to the U.S. at any time?
If I am not mistaken, nowadays all European countries are close friends or allies to the US with the exception of RUSSIA
Old May 6, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You mention your father lived in Europe. Is or was he a citizen of a country that is still unfriendly or was unfriendly to the U.S. at any time? The "sins of the father" is one possible avenue?
It's not so much sins of the father as the fear of the use of family connections to apply pressure.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It's not so much sins of the father as the fear of the use of family connections to apply pressure.
But that would apply much more so with the security clearance than it ever would for Global Entry.

I would suspect some kind of name confusion - or an outright error by Customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.