Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nearly Half of Travelers in Trusted Travelers Program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

According to this article,http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...918-story.html forty-five percent of travelers this summer were able to use Precheck because of their enrollment. Does this sound right? It seems to be higher than expected.

The article claims that over half of the travelers at MDW were able to use the program because of enrollment. However, as MDW sends many travelers to Precheck through randomizers, I am wondering whether over half of the travelers were actually enrolled in the program or if many used it through the use of randomizers. Also, does the percentages given in the article include the people who received Precheck on their boarding pass but did not sign up for a trusted traveler program?

In the article, the TSA claims that the LAG restriction will be changed, likely for those enrolled in Precheck first. However, since Precheck is not guaranteed, what would happen if one enrolled in the program tries to bring a bottle of water and then learns that he or she does not have Precheck for a particular day? I actually thought that they were supposed to ease the restriction many years ago, so I would not be surprised if they continue with the current restriction for many years.

Last edited by guflyer; Sep 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm Reason: I realized that my comment was not clear.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I can't get the article to open up right so can't read the details but on the surface the 45% seems high. I can imagine that percentage based on airline FF program enrollment and status, trusted traveler program enrollment, and random selection all taken together. Somewhere, maybe here, I read an article about the total number of flyers enrolled in trusted traveler programs and as I recall the numbers seemed way, way lower than the total number of frequent flyers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
According to this article,http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...918-story.html forty-five percent of travelers this summer were able to use Precheck because of their enrollment. Does this sound right? It seems to be higher than expected.

The article claims that over half of the travelers at MDW were able to use the program because of enrollment. However, as MDW sends many travelers to Precheck through randomizers, I am wondering whether over half of the travelers were actually enrolled in the program or if many used it through the use of randomizers. Also, does the percentages given in the article include the people who received Precheck on their boarding pass but did not sign up for a trusted traveler program?

In the article, the TSA claims that the LAG restriction will be changed, likely for those enrolled in Precheck first. However, since Precheck is not guaranteed, what would happen if one enrolled in the program tries to bring a bottle of water and then learns that he or she does not have Precheck for a particular day? I actually thought that they were supposed to ease the restriction many years ago, so I would not be surprised if they continue with the current restriction for many years.
I don't believe it for a minute; I think it is just another way to pressure people to sign up for Pre or another "trusted traveler" program.

I would guess that the majority of frequent flyers are enrolled in some kind of "tt" program, but since frequent flyers do not make up the majority of travelers, I can't accept what the TSA says.

P.S. I can't get it to load properly either. In any case, this is probably only a reprint of a TSA press release as well as a take off on the latest Blog thread:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/summer-w...e-busiest.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I can't get the article to open up right so can't read the details but on the surface the 45% seems high. I can imagine that percentage based on airline FF program enrollment and status, trusted traveler program enrollment, and random selection all taken together. Somewhere, maybe here, I read an article about the total number of flyers enrolled in trusted traveler programs and as I recall the numbers seemed way, way lower than the total number of frequent flyers.
The percentage of travelers with Nexus, Global Entry and who have paid for PreCheck is fairly small. Frequent flyers with status and getting PreCheck, that could add a couple of million travelers to that number. The rest are just Kettle PreCheck who got it randomly or were part of a herd where everyone got PreCheck.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:17 am

It seemed like over half of the people were getting directed to the Pre Check line at MCO when I was there a couple of months ago. I didn't mind since I don't have Pre Check and the magic IPad directed me to that line. Everybody followed the directions and the line moved very quickly.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
It doesn't surprise me. The very travelers that fly the most are the ones most likely to have some trusted traveler program--thus the % that gets pre-check would be a lot higher than the % of fliers that have it.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:33 am

Seems low

I suspect that somewhere between 95 and 100% of airline passengers are very low risk.

So, at first glance, half seems low.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:00 pm

TSA sez almost half of all passengers are Pre?

I don't see it at the airports I frequent. The busiest I hit frequently is ATL. I peg PRE at about 20%.

Does anyone at any airport see anything approaching 50% of passengers through PRE Check lines?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't see it at the airports I frequent. The busiest I hit frequently is ATL. I peg PRE at about 20%.

Does anyone at any airport see anything approaching 50% of passengers through PRE Check lines?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Who at TSA said this? A employee complaining because they have to do some work? An actual press release? This sounds like water-cooler talk by an employee venting they have to work.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
I do not believe I have seen as much as 20% of the people at security go through precheck. But the percentage might get up to 25% if you adjust because people get through precheck faster. At SFO the airport that I have been at with the longest lines is seems like much less than that. Of course, SFO would benefit greatly if you could move from terminal to terminal inside of security like you can at DFW.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:00 am

I don't see it being anywhere near half but a big wig with TSA said it

TSA Administrator John Pistole visited MDW and ORD.

During his visit, he noted that almost half of U.S. airline passengers passed through the TSA’s PreCheck program this summer, explaining that this is a “sign that prescreening is becoming the norm.
I've seen similar things quoted in other articles.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The quote seems to include those being "randomly" directed to PreCheck lines in addition to those who have it preapproved on the boarding pass.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:03 pm

I wasn't aware non-US citizens could get pre, but our friends who are British residents (born and raised there) both had TSA PreCheck on all their flights within the US the past two weeks. They even got it on their flight leaving IAD back to LHR.

Half might be a stretch, but if they're getting it maybe not as much as you'd think.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't see it being anywhere near half but a big wig with TSA said it

TSA Administrator John Pistole visited MDW and ORD.

During his visit, he noted that almost half of U.S. airline passengers passed through the TSA’s PreCheck program this summer, explaining that this is a “sign that prescreening is becoming the norm.
I've seen similar things quoted in other articles.
This was all prior to TSA allegedly cutting back on random passengers being sent to PreCheck. As usual, TSA is twisting their numbers and their facts.

Drop the random assignments and I would wager that the number would be around 25%, if that.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:55 pm

I don't think it was ever that high even with the random passengers added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.