Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:23 am

Interesting. My daughter has that note, but we (my wife and I) have a different one that says we CAN use GE because we have fingerprints on file. I do think it has to do with them enrolling us at the interview, and that GE requires fingerprints. I'll call the enrollment center to see if my daughter is in the system and how we can proceed - basically, enough so that she can scan, get the X, and go to the counter with us.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Enrolled by 4 year old at JFK last week. They took fingerprints but took many tries. I can't imagine doing this when actually using the kiosk. Better off just getting the X and be done with it.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
We got Global Entry for our 3 yr old the BOS CBP office, but they didn't take his fingerprints. When we tried to use it for the first time coming back from Toronto a few weeks ago, when we scanned his passport, it asked for his fingerprints. When that didn't work, it told us to see an agent. We didn't get the X and ended up having to fill out a customs form. It totally defeated the purpose of having GE (domestic pre-check aside) since we needed to wait in line and fill out the form even though GE worked fine for wifey and me.

Anyone have experience on how to bypass the fingerprints and get the X?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by goldiemack
We got Global Entry for our 3 yr old the BOS CBP office, but they didn't take his fingerprints. When we tried to use it for the first time coming back from Toronto a few weeks ago, when we scanned his passport, it asked for his fingerprints. When that didn't work, it told us to see an agent. We didn't get the X and ended up having to fill out a customs form. It totally defeated the purpose of having GE (domestic pre-check aside) since we needed to wait in line and fill out the form even though GE worked fine for wifey and me.

Anyone have experience on how to bypass the fingerprints and get the X?
Why did you wait in line? GE allows you to cut to the front of the queue at the nearest primary inspection desk.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:31 pm

Had the same problem. Kid's GE didn't work citing fingerprint was not in file (of course because CDP told me no need for kid's fingerprint since it doesn't work) but never knew that I could cut to the front of the line. Agent arranging the immigration line told me to just get at the end of the line.

Originally Posted by 14940674
Why did you wait in line? GE allows you to cut to the front of the queue at the nearest primary inspection desk.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:40 am

I'm taking a 6-month old to get NEXUS interview tomorrow, should be fun (even if they want to try fingerprint him)

My 3 year old didn't get fingerprinted when she applied (she was 2), we haven't used GE though, but would hate to wait at end of line if that's the case

But for YYZ pre-clearance, I imagine one can use either NEXUS or GE to enter USA right? even though NEXUS kiosks aren't reliable

My understanding is that GE kiosks are at USA airports (and US pre-clearance airports like YYZ/YUL/YOW or other country ones).
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:08 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
But for YYZ pre-clearance, I imagine one can use either NEXUS or GE to enter USA right? even though NEXUS kiosks aren't reliable

My understanding is that GE kiosks are at USA airports (and US pre-clearance airports like YYZ/YUL/YOW or other country ones).
In late 2012 I flew BOS-YYZ-BOS after getting NEXUS but before getting my iris scans done (since I enrolled at the Detroit center). For BOS-YYZ I entered Canada on my passport using the usual procedure, then asked for directions to the NEXUS office so I could get my iris photos taken.

On the return, there were both NEXUS and GE kiosks...but the NEXUS ones were all in use, so I just used GE. It wasn't until last year when I flew BOS-YTZ-BOS that I actually used a NEXUS kiosk.

If anything, it sounds like the preclearance airports are going more heavily GE and may be limiting/removing NEXUS for the CA->US traveler. Since my more recent trips have all gone through YTZ (no preclearance, only GE at BOS), I don't have personal experience to say.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Do my kids have GE?

Originally Posted by okazon69
OK, so we tried using GE twice with the kids....

1) The 8-year-old's prints scanned flawlessly both times, though the kiosk was unable to take his picture as he's obviously too short. No problem.

2) The 5-year-old's passport caused the kiosk to display the message that he was not registered for GE.

At YUL preclearance, the officer (whom you have to talk to in any case, and who does both immigration and customs) simply waved us through. At MIA, one officer made us fill in a customs form for the 5-year-old, and sent us to the diplomat line. The officer there looked over everything, requested the NEXUS card, and stated that he found it strange that the kiosk would refuse, as he thought all was in order.

He did confirm that getting an X on your printout does not mean automatic secondary, but merely that they have to see your passport to confirm your identity.

I suppose we'll be going back to a GE enrolment center to try to sort things out once and for all.

Overall, however, it was a good experience, and I'm glad things did work as they should.
I already have NEXUS/GE - we live in GCM and flew to YUL over Easter for the NEXUS/GE appointments for my wife and kids, one 13 months old and the other is 3.5 yrs old, all Canadian citizens.

I think we had the same CBP agent as you as this agent did not understand why children were applying for GE. I had to explain that we transit through MIA 8-10 times a year and GE would make that experience go a lot faster.

The CBP agent did not attempt to take fingerprints from the kids but just reviewed the documents, took scans of passports and that was it.

We received the CBP/NEXUS approval letters for my wife and kids along with the NEXUS cards, I have activated all of the cards.

I went onto GOES for my 3.5 yr old and was surprised to see the following at the bottom of the page.

"Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you will be able to use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. once you provide your 10-fingerprints to CBP. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable passport. If you wish to use Global Entry, please contact any Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints captured. Enrollment center information can be found at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...er/nexus_prog/, http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...aveler/sentri/ or http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found at http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry kiosks, please disregard this message. "

Does this mean my kids don't have GE until they are able to provide fingerprints? Can I take the kids through the GE lane when we travel as a family? What will happen if I try and use the GE kiosk with my kid's passports?
Old May 6, 2014, 9:17 am

My family all have NEXUS (and GE) now, 2 kids are 3 and 8 months. They have photos on the cards, but no IRIS scan and no fingerprints either

We simply used the Crew lane at below in April 2014
YYZ T3 to USA (agent used passports, not NEXUS cards)
YUL Canada immigration (NEXUS cards)
YYZ immigration (NEXUS cards)

I'm okay with that, just being able to skip the lines is great enough
Old May 7, 2014, 9:32 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caymancanuck
Can I take the kids through the GE lane when we travel as a family?
The best idea is to fill out a blue form for the two kids and hand it to the officer manning the GE lane with their NEXUS cards and passports (after you use the kiosk yourself) and explain that the kids have "biometric waivers" due to their ages. They'll know what you mean.

Originally Posted by caymancanuck
What will happen if I try and use the GE kiosk with my kid's passports?
GE members with biometric waivers will time out on the fingerprint step but the passport will scan. For NEXUS members without prints on file, the kiosk might say they aren't registered to use GE because only NEXUS members with prints on file can use GE kiosks.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Any experience of using GE with small children?

Both my kids (5YO and 2.5YO) have been fingerprinted for GE. They are obviously too short for their pictures to be captured by the kiosk. Do I just hold them up and have them smile for camera or just not capture an image at all?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Both my kids (5YO and 2.5YO) have been fingerprinted for GE. They are obviously too short for their pictures to be captured by the kiosk. Do I just hold them up and have them smile for camera or just not capture an image at all?
For my NEXUS interviews, I held up my kids (3 and 7 months) for the pictures
They came out okay, my 7 month baby picture is a crying picture, FUNNY the agent okay'ed & used it
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Global Entry for Infants

Hi I applied for global entry as soon as I got a passport for my new born. (approx 6 weeks old at that time (Dec12/Jan13 timeframe).

Went in for an interview no issues. The agent told me that the newborn would not be fingerprinted as "kids fingers change so no point." Told me that the Kiosk would print out an receipt and we would be set to move to pick up bags etc.

We have had several trips out of the country and that is NOT how the Kiosks have worked. They don't print out an X. They keep asking for her fingerprint and stays at that step for 2 minutes before timing out and not printing out a receipt. (of note: the kiosk does pull up the right info for my daughter when we scan the passport)

Several agents at the airport have provided conflicting info on what "we did wrong" or "what we should do next time"

Agent #1: Use one of our fingerprints (did not work).
Agent #2: Don't do anything on the Fingerprint step. It will time out and print a X receipt. (did not work.)
Agent #3: Parents fingerprints should have been inputted into the system. Call the local registration center and have them do that. Call the local center and they said "We don't do that"
Agent #4: Use the kids fingerprint (not sure why, but of course that didn't work).

We have tried different combinations of the above steps too.

We have now resorted to fill in a blue customs form for my two year old and then just cutting in line (due to Global Entry membership).

Goal of this Thread: To be able to by pass filling out the Blue Customs form and/or hopefully the ability to only use the kiosks to process her global entry(not having to get processed by an agent (which takes time even with cut the line privilege).

What are we doing wrong? Please guide us into what we need to do to fix this issue or is there no fix? Ideally if we can bypass the blue form that would at least help a little.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:07 am

what airport was this happening at ?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:16 am

this is a diaster for kids. I have 2 year old. How can you take his finger prints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.