Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 7:30 pm

Kids, Nexus and GE

I'm wondering if anyone else has Nexus for their family, including kids under 14, and if they have had any experience using GE. We've just received our approvals for everyone including the kids (both of whom are under 14).

Both the Nexus and GE websites clearly state that Nexus members who have registered their passports and been fingerprinted are eligible to use GE. The GE website states that GE is not available directly to anyone under 14, however I read that as meaning you can't get GE but if you have Nexus and meet the requirements you can use the machine.

The officers at our interview (SEA) not only said the kids could use GE but seemed to be aware that lots of people were applying for Nexus mostly to use GE rather than for traveling to Canada.

That said I'm wondering if anyone has actually had any experience and if there are problems.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:13 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I'm wondering if anyone else has Nexus for their family, including kids under 14, and if they have had any experience using GE. We've just received our approvals for everyone including the kids (both of whom are under 14).

Both the Nexus and GE websites clearly state that Nexus members who have registered their passports and been fingerprinted are eligible to use GE. The GE website states that GE is not available directly to anyone under 14, however I read that as meaning you can't get GE but if you have Nexus and meet the requirements you can use the machine.

The officers at our interview (SEA) not only said the kids could use GE but seemed to be aware that lots of people were applying for Nexus mostly to use GE rather than for traveling to Canada.

That said I'm wondering if anyone has actually had any experience and if there are problems.
Check again...they changed the rules a few months ago...website does not say this this anymore...and in fact I can tell you with certainty that there are no age restrictions anymore because both my 5 and 4 year old have GE. Just used it today coming back from vacation. Immigration was EASILY about an hour wait...myself, wife, and kids thru GE in 3 minutes. Love it.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:29 pm

Good to know because the age restriction is still on the webs site in a number of places....

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/Glob...y_Brochure.pdf
Old May 28, 2012, 5:41 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Good to know because the age restriction is still on the webs site in a number of places....

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/Glob...y_Brochure.pdf
Yeah...they obviously haven't updated their printed literature yet. But the FAQ was updated...see here:

http://www.globalentry.gov/faq.html#21
Old May 29, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
+1 on the update. 8yo daughter conditionally approved recently (waiting for interview).

I suspect with the broader eligibility they will no longer allow a GE member to bring the family along, as at least some people have reported being able to do.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
+1 on the update. 8yo daughter conditionally approved recently (waiting for interview).

I suspect with the broader eligibility they will no longer allow a GE member to bring the family along, as at least some people have reported being able to do.
Agree with this...when I went to the machines this past weekend with my wife and kids in tow one of the agents at the nearest desk yelled out to me "Do your kids have Global Entry???"

I answered yes and she was fine with it until we were done...as we walked away she yelled out to me "EXCUSE ME!!! Do any of you have an "X"??? Your kids????" :roll eyes:

I answered no and kept walking.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:01 am

Global Entry for Children/Infants

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted to share my experience that I've had with the Global Entry (GOES) / Trusted Traveler Program with regards to enrolling children.

The program has recently lifted it's age restrictions to all ages (previously 14 years) and therefore everyone is eligible to apply to the program. My wife and I are already enrolled and we travel 6-8 times per year internationally, so this program has been great for us. We recently had a baby boy and we wanted to keep using the program going forward as we'll be traveling with him soon.

Our application was conditionally approved and we scheduled the interview at the Philadelphia Airport Customs location. Upon arriving yesterday, we were informed that they had never processed a child this young (9 weeks) and that they had no procedures in place for adding a baby to the system because of the digital fingerprinting requirement.
It was quite comical to have four uniformed, armed customs officers try to figure out how to process this. Everyone was very nice and apologetic, but it was clear that nobody was training on this situation nor had they been informed that the program is now open to everyone.
Long story short, the scanner was not able to pick up the fingerprints and we were told that they will ask their superior officer to override the requirement.

To me, this looks like a case where a change to a program was made without considering the most basic of ramifications. Clearly, a child this young would never travel on it's own until it is older, so why not link the child's global entry to both of it's parents until a certain age when that provision would automatically expire and require a separate account?

This was meant more as an informative post, if anyone plans to enroll a child in GOES under the age of 2-3 years (when I would expect fingerprints to be big enough for the scanner to read them), be forewarned that you will probably be met with some dumbfounded looks and be send home.

Should his enrollment not go through, I will try to recover the enrollment fee, but knowing the government, this will prove challenging.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I will move it on to Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
interesting.

In Canada we apply for NEXUS and then automatically get enrolled in Global Entry

Our daughter is two now but she was enrolled when she was 18 months.

NEXUS is IRIS SCAN which they can't do on a 18 month old she has an exemption sticker.

For GE, no fingerprint required either, when we go thru immigration we simply present her NEXUS/GE card to the Special Services/Crew counter and voila.

Sounds like the US portion IN THE US needs some clarification. In Canada, when we get our Nexus and GE, both the Canada Border and US Border officers interview/process us at the same time so it is very much streamlined.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you want is called a 'biometric waiver' for Global Entry.

I know a 69-year-old who has one because her fingerprints could not be read-- they even called her in a month after the initial interview and did a standard FBI 10-card with ink to see if they could make that work. No dice. So now she uses the GE line, but cannot use the kiosk.

I assume a baby can also get a biometric waiver, at least for the first few years of life. They just didn't know (how) to do it.

Last edited by Ari; Jul 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eagle92
GE is now open to everyone I think...no age restrictions as far as I am aware of. I just got it for my 4 and 3 year old kids. No problems at all...
Just wondering if this has been confirmed?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:34 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by hobo13
yes, many of us have signed our children up.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:30 pm

My daughter was conditionally approved at 18 months ("interview" in a few weeks)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
yes, many of us have signed our children up.
Originally Posted by thelark
My daughter was conditionally approved at 18 months ("interview" in a few weeks)
No age limits anymore. See here.

Q: Are children able to enroll in Global Entry?
A: Yes. Children may enroll in Global Entry. Minor Children 18 years or younger are required to have parental or legal guardianship permission.

Q: Can my child/children enroll in Global Entry if I am not a member?
A: Minor children that do not have a parent or legal guardian enrolled in Global Entry may enroll. Parental or legal guardianship permission is required and must be present at the time of the interview.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: HA Plat, SPG Plat, AmEX Plat
Just did this today

Flew from SJD to LAX, 3 adults with GE and one infant

Got the paper, went to lane 4

The officer took my GE form and wrote "two" on my old school customs form and off we went...

Btw we had nothing to declare

Basically you need to still fill out the old form as well

Oh, and he was not too pleased lol

But other customs officers said infants should just go through with whoever their ticket is under

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.