Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm in GE and hence TSA PC also.
Every flight from ZRH-JFK (on AA) prints TSA PC on my bp*--except one. For that flt (random) I was SSSS, about 3 extra minutes of screening--much better than FRA (noted in a post above).
*TSA PC has NO significance in ZRH.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by vegascraig
Maybe not the right forum...

Just checked in for my flight home to the US tomorrow. Flying LOT from Tallinn to Warsaw, connecting to LOT Warsaw-LAX, UA LAX-LAS.

SSSS printed on my WAW-LAX and LAX-LAS boarding passes, but not my TLL-WAW one. My Global Entry KTN is attached to my reservation.

I have a one hour layover in WAW, which I was already sweating, but now I'm especially nervous. Bags checked through, of course, but I still need to deplane, clear passport control, and be at the gate within 50 minutes of wheels down from my flight from Tallinn.

Will I make it?

I'm sure the reason for this is that my outbound from the US was to Turkey...
You should be fine, just hustle to the gate and they will rescreen you on the more enhanced screening in the US rescreen area. In WAW it's NOT as worse as FRA - have as much prepared as possible (e.g no extra liquids have notebook/tablet, etc all easy to pull out). On the LAX-LAS - suggest changing the seat number on UA and try getting the BP on the UA app - I've sometimes seen after a seat change on UA removes this.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
You should be fine, just hustle to the gate and they will rescreen you on the more enhanced screening in the US rescreen area. In WAW it's NOT as worse as FRA - have as much prepared as possible (e.g no extra liquids have notebook/tablet, etc all easy to pull out). On the LAX-LAS - suggest changing the seat number on UA and try getting the BP on the UA app - I've sometimes seen after a seat change on UA removes this.
Thanks for the info - that's kind of what happened.

The incoming to WAW was a little late, with no bus waiting to take us to the terminal as well, so I did have to hustle. Made it to the gate and they did send me back to the re-screen gate. Unfortunately there were 3 people for other flights in the line in front of me, and everybody took about 5 minutes to be screened. The screening was pretty thorough but not terribly intense. By the time I made it back to the gate I was the last one on the plane (but still arrived about 10 minutes before departure time.)

At LAX, I tried to change the seat on the UA app but couldn't - asked an agent to reprint a boarding pass for me and that didn't help either. The screening at LAX took 23 minutes from start to finish. Very professional agent, not on a power trip, but incredibly, incredibly thorough. Every single item was removed from my suitcase (whereas in Warsaw only my electronics were taken out, even though everything else was briefly looked at, and swabbed for explosives).

When the first-contact TSA agent at LAX told me "your airline has randomly selected you..." I said "nope, I just came back from Turkey." He half-smiled and stopped the spiel. . My friend, traveling with me on the same itinerary, was SSSSed in WAW and LAX as well.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I'm a UA plat and nexus / GE and got the SSSS on flights from LIS-FCO (TAP), FCO-ORD and ORD -YYZ ( both UA). I was subject to zero enhanced screening in LIS, at FCO they unzipped my camera bag and peeped in for maybe 2 seconds. The biggest inconvenience was that I didn't get TSA Pre Check in ORD, while my wife, with the same status, GE/Nexus etc did.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
On 7/4, I was flying CTU-NRT on NH, switching to NRT-LAX on UA. I attempted to check-in on-line in Chengdu, only to no avail (the NH app kept on erroring out). When I checked in at the airport, my first BP (CTU-NRT) was fine, but the NRT-LAX had the SSSS. Even when I got to NRT, I attempted to OLCI on the UA app, but it gave me my traveling partner's BP, but mine was replaced with "this is not a boarding pass." At the gate though, they made me take off my shoes (sandals) and swab them, and let me go on my way.

Now, last year, I was flying MNL-HND (also on NH), followed by HND-SFO-LAX on UA and I had attempted to OLCI via NH, and on the HND-SFO I got the SSSS (so I had to re-print my BP at SFO, which showed PreCheck). Yet, earlier this year, I flew MNL-NRT (on NH) followed by NRT-LAX (on UA) and I didn't get the SSSS; but then again, I didn't try to OLCI either.

Could the SSSS be related to my attempts to OLCI via NH?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
You may be on to something. That fits with what I have experienced leaving HND or NRT. Next time I'm not doing OLCI. Maybe they will upgrade me to PE like the last time I didn't do OLCI!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fgirard

Yes, but it's almost certainly because of the UA flight following a non-US flight. In other words, such hits coming up is routinely part of the attempted check-in aspect for the UA flight when a US-bound US-carrier's flight is the onward connecting flight for an incoming flight on a non-US carrier.

And given c. 10% of passenger-entered, typed-in passport data on PNRs is incorrect in part and the concern about people using OLCI to reduce the chances of passport being examined as often as with physical check-in with an airline rep at the airport, it shouldn't be a surprise that this is also a factor in such hits for passengers flying to the US from abroad.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by atword
You may be on to something. That fits with what I have experienced leaving HND or NRT. Next time I'm not doing OLCI. Maybe they will upgrade me to PE like the last time I didn't do OLCI!
On an oversell NH will push a Star Gold to PE way before the 24 hour check in window. It does happen inside that window rarely but most of the time it's before you've even checked in. On NH I've gone from Y to PE about 10 times and from Y to Biz about 2 - all showed up at check in as a seat change
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Please let's get back on topic, that is trusted travelers hit with the dreadful SSSS.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:42 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
My wife has gotten the SSSS the last 4 trips we have taken. We both have nexus but she keeps getting it.

Aug 2017 - YYZ - LAX - HNL
June 2017 - YYZ - LGA
Oct 2016 - YYZ - PHL - SJU
April 2016 - YYZ - LAS

Heading to LAS again in two weeks and wondering if she'll get it again.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FB_
My wife has gotten the SSSS the last 4 trips we have taken. We both have nexus but she keeps getting it.

June 2017 - YYZ - LGA
April 2016 - YYZ - LAS

That doesn’t look like random selection or luck of the draw. Time to maybe seek a redress number if she gets it for a fifth time.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Originally Posted by FB_

June 2017 - YYZ - LGA
April 2016 - YYZ - LAS

There's a related thread that you should look at too:
Repeatedly getting SSSS on boarding passes when flying to the US It is argued there that redress won't help when SSSS occurs exclusively on in-bound international flights on a single carrier.

Would I be right in guessing that all of the flights that you mentioned are on AC? I also have Nexus and have had SSSS on my last two AC flights to the US. I am fully expecting it again next week. At least SSSS in YYZ preclearance isn't too bad, but I wish that I could do OLCI.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
That doesn’t look like random selection or luck of the draw. Time to maybe seek a redress number if she gets it for a fifth time.
I think it's more likely a flaw in their system. Note that his flights are originating outside the US.

My wife is very prone to getting SSSSed on foreign-origin flights (although generally at an airport where SSSS means nothing!) However, on domestic-origin flights she is about 100% on getting pre-check. If there really was something evil tied to her name (very unlikely, her name likely is unique in the world) she wouldn't be getting pre-check.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FB_

June 2017 - YYZ - LGA
April 2016 - YYZ - LAS

Are these flights booked as one-ways/open jaws? I almost always get SSSSed on Canada-US oneways even with NEXUS
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mistermap
There's a related thread that you should look at too:
Repeatedly getting SSSS on boarding passes when flying to the US It is argued there that redress won't help when SSSS occurs exclusively on in-bound international flights on a single carrier.
"TRIP" generally won't do any good for such circumstances (even across multiple carriers), as the hits most frequently for such circumstances are the product of the airline/airline contractors' system(s) rather than a direct result of DHS/TSA (or CATSA) selection.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.