Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Travel to/from Turkey has gotten people onto some US blacklists that result in <SSSS> boarding passes. The reason Turkey travel has become a huge flag and resulted in <SSSS> is that Turkey had become a primary transit point for people heading to/from militant outfits to join up fighting Iranian-backed governments and other Iranian-backed elements around Syria and Iraq. Paranoia about some passengers to/from Turkey has resulted in <SSSS> -- and while I don't like the outcome it is what it is and a possible explanation (as it has been for others).

OP, change your ticket bookings when flying DL to have "DR" as a title instead of "Mr/Mrs/Ms".
Some of us are luckier than others then..... never a problem after dozens of trips to IST. Same for my business associates and friends with unpronounceable names from the region.

--J

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:54 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jcf27
Some of us are luckier than others then..... never a problem after dozens of trips to IST. Same for my business associates and friends with unpronounceable names from the region.

--J
Some are less lucky than others. And this has been a 2014 issue for people from the US in a way which it was not even last year. I too find the situation ridiculous for various reasons, yet it is what it is: something that has led to a higher incidence of being hit by <SSSS> on the orders of the USG.

By the way, it's not just the US that has become paranoid about travel to/from Turkey with Turkey noted as the choice transit route for those up for fighting or helping the fight against the Iranian-backed governments in Syria and Iraq. Now, the Saudi government too have gotten in on the action in a major way and are increasingly skeptical of younger males traveling (or trying to travel) to/from Turkey for that purpose (even as I suspect that way more of such unmarried Saudi males are in Turkey for "recreational" purposes, including that of engaging services from prostitutes, than on their way to risk their own lives supporting anti-government militancy in the region).

Travel by some to Turkey has been followed by a big increase in frequency of <SSSS> flagging by the USG, even for those US citizens or US-resident Saudis whose GE status remains valid and works more or less just fine.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:55 am Reason: Opinion/commentary term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
My last trip from Turkey was in 2012 so if Turkish travel has become a trigger it's happened or caused for more recent travel. The only time, actually times, I've gotten hit with the dreaded SSSS has been leaving Las Vegas. It's almost gotten to be a joke between my wife and I as I've gotten SSSS something like three out of our last four trips. It's certainly not like we're high rollers or big winners and all the travel has been on AA where we're both have advanced FF status. Go figure......
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:05 pm

I have had Nexus/GE for about 2 years and never received SSSS. Each year I flew about 125k miles. Recently I went to Turkey and the return was from Paris and I got SSSS on return flight (boarding pass did not print online) but my wife and two children accompanying me did not get SSSS. Since then I have flown 3 legs (2 domestic and one international) and everytime I am getting SSSS. I have filed for redress and hoping that my name gets taken off the list. The security check is different at each airport. Looks like one should not fly to Turkey as there are several people in the same boat.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by athem
I have had Nexus/GE for about 2 years and never received SSSS. Each year I flew about 125k miles. Recently I went to Turkey and the return was from Paris and I got SSSS on return flight (boarding pass did not print online) but my wife and two children accompanying me did not get SSSS. Since then I have flown 3 legs (2 domestic and one international) and everytime I am getting SSSS. I have filed for redress and hoping that my name gets taken off the list. The security check is different at each airport. Looks like one should not fly to Turkey as there are several people in the same boat.
Recent Turkey trips currently increase the probability of ending up on some kind of extended US blacklist, a sort of fleeting blacklisting that results in <SSSS> for some time but then usually drops off after some time.

This is because the US is rather clueless about who has gone to or via Turkey for normal purposes and who may have gone there to assist or join some violent outfits in Syria or Iraq which happen to be fighting Iranian-backed government authorities and other Iranian-backed elements in the area.

I'm almost certainly flying via Turkey later this month, probably while transiting from India or from Israel. It will be interesting to see who -- if anybody -- in my travel party ends up in the same circumstance even though the transit in IST has nothing to do with the Syria and Iraq mess.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:55 am Reason: Opinion/commentary term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:19 pm

Recent Turkey trips currently increase the probability of ending up on some kind of extended US blacklist, a sort of fleeting blacklisting that results in <SSSS> for some time but then usually drops off after some time.

This is because the US is rather clueless about who has gone to or via Turkey for normal purposes and who may have gone there to assist or join some violent outfits in Syria or Iraq which happen to be fighting Iranian-backed government authorities and other Iranian-backed elements in the area.

I'm almost certainly flying via Turkey later this month, probably while transiting from India or from Israel. It will be interesting to see who -- if anybody -- in my travel party ends up in the same circumstance even though the transit in IST has nothing to do with the Syria and Iraq mess.
Thanks. Today I made a last minute change and all return flight segments now have TSAPre (no SSSS). I had the agent add redress number before ticketing. I am not sure if redress did anything. I will update on my other upcoming domestic flights.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:57 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
I think it's the inbound/outbound difference. I hit the same thing as reported upthread. Flew into IST. Return was from LHR. Both on a single AA itinerary. In between we flew PC and TK. I had SSSS starting on the return and for about a month (5 roundtrips) after. TSAPre has worked every since. I recently went to IST on business. Roundtrip on one itinerary. TSAPre has continued to work since my return.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by dmbtr3
I think it's the inbound/outbound difference. I hit the same thing as reported upthread. Flew into IST. Return was from LHR. Both on a single AA itinerary. In between we flew PC and TK. I had SSSS starting on the return and for about a month (5 roundtrips) after. TSAPre has worked every since. I recently went to IST on business. Roundtrip on one itinerary. TSAPre has continued to work since my return.
TSAPre working now.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Thanks. Today I made a last minute change and all return flight segments now have TSAPre (no SSSS). I had the agent add redress number before ticketing. I am not sure if redress did anything. I will update on my other upcoming domestic flights.
Part-time cheerleader for DHS -- and full-time cheerleader for the 2003 US invasion of Iraq -- Stephen F Hayes (of Fox News and The Weekly Standard notoriety) has ended up hit by a U.S. aviation blacklist (<SSSS>-producing) as a result of what he believes to be his Turkey trip too. There is so much irony in his ending up hit by this that it brings a smile to my face.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/23/st...st-watch-list/

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...st-195996.html

It will drop off, but the guy is wasting his time doing the TRIP/redress nonsense.

Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:25 pm

I got SSSS after visiting Turkey 9/14

I went on a fun European vacation with my spouse in September 2014: Istanbul, Budapest, Prague. I have been SSSS on flights since (domestic so far, next international flight scheduled for later this month). My redress status online says "complete," but I haven't received the letter DOHS purports to have sent me in the mail yet. I fly again tomorrow and once again cannot check in online, now due to "government regulation." Previous flights would just say online check-in wasn't available, so I'm not optimistic about the contents of the letter, whenever I do receive it. Pretty annoying to say the least, and it is souring my memory of a very fun four days sightseeing in Istanbul. I can't think of anything else that might have set this off for me; I in no way fit any personal demographics that could possibly be flagged (however unfairly). In the last year I have been to Japan, Turks & Caicos, Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic. In prior two years I have been to Japan, UK, France, The Netherlands, Germany. My spouse hasn't flown yet since, but will find out in next 24 hours if he also has it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by bjojo
I went on a fun European vacation with my spouse in September 2014: Istanbul, Budapest, Prague. I have been SSSS on flights since (domestic so far, next international flight scheduled for later this month). My redress status online says "complete," but I haven't received the letter DOHS purports to have sent me in the mail yet. I fly again tomorrow and once again cannot check in online, now due to "government regulation." Previous flights would just say online check-in wasn't available, so I'm not optimistic about the contents of the letter, whenever I do receive it. Pretty annoying to say the least, and it is souring my memory of a very fun four days sightseeing in Istanbul. I can't think of anything else that might have set this off for me; I in no way fit any personal demographics that could possibly be flagged (however unfairly). In the last year I have been to Japan, Turks & Caicos, Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic. In prior two years I have been to Japan, UK, France, The Netherlands, Germany. My spouse hasn't flown yet since, but will find out in next 24 hours if he also has it.
Your answer:
Travel to/from Turkey has gotten people onto some US blacklists that result in <SSSS> boarding passes. The reason Turkey travel has become a huge flag and resulted in <SSSS> is that Turkey had become a primary transit point for people heading to/from militant outfits to join up fighting Iranian-backed governments and other Iranian-backed elements around Syria and Iraq. Paranoia about some passengers to/from Turkey has resulted in <SSSS> -- and while I don't like the outcome it is what it is and a possible explanation (as it has been for others).

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:59 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Help! My family seems to have become "Turkish terrorists" too!

At Xmas time, my wife and daughters essentially did a round-the-world trip thanks to the favorable policies of the US Dividend Miles program. Our first stop was IST. From there we travelled to JNB, but we had to change planes in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania -- a Muslim city (btw, almost everyone on our Turkish flight to DAR was a European tourist heading to Zanzibar and such). After a stop in Namibia and China, we arrived in Houston. No trouble at customs, but I, my wife and my oldest daughter had the SSSS waiting for us on our connecting flight. This week, my older daughter and I flew domestically and we both got SSSS. My wife is flying tomorrow and she can't check in online, so I'm sure she's SSSS, too. My youngest daughter is not getting hassled, and she continues to get precheck -- all of us have Global Entry and, accordingly, trusted traveler numbers. We have travelled extensively around the USA and the world for decades -- all without incident.

So one stop in Istanbul (business class, no less) is enough to be labelled a terrorist? This is absolutely nuts -- and a horrible indication of the strength of our aviation security system. None of us, by the way, are "ethnic" in any way, and we don't have Muslim names or contacts in any way with any Muslim organizations. So just stopping in IST seems to have been enough!

So what the heck do I do to stop this? I need my precheck back; I can't have a half hour security check (complete patdown and rummage through my luggage) every time I fly. It's insane.

EDIT: I found this thread, too. My family's sudden placement on the SSSS list is almost certainly the result of our stopover in IST, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if our departure flight to DAR triggered the algorithm. I see that the procedure is to fill out a DHS TRIP form. Obviously, we will do this. Fingers crossed the madness stops. I will report back what happens.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...ways-ssss.html

Last edited by iahphx; Jan 16, 2015 at 8:56 am Reason: more
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

The extended blacklist hits are mostly temporary <SSSS> and it's almost a certainty that you and your family will drop off the list soon enough without you having to do anything. I wouldn't worry about it as you won't be blacklisted for too long and asking to get removed is a general waste of time when it comes to the temporary placement on such list as a result of the travel to Turkey or select parts of SW Asia. Within a few trips or after a few weeks or months, most hit in these type of situations end up not seeing the <SSSS> repeat consistently.

If the <SSSS> is hitting from flights on the same ticketed PNR, then there is generally not a greater need to worry about these <SSSS> flags.

DHS TRIP is generally a waste of time in these situations; and sometimes it even makes things worse as it could ossify matters.

Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The extended blacklist hits are mostly temporary <SSSS> and it's almost a certainty that you and your family will drop off the list soon enough without you having to do anything. I wouldn't worry about it as you won't be blacklisted for too long and asking to get removed is a general waste of time when it comes to the temporary placement on such list as a result of the travel to Turkey or select parts of SW Asia. Within a few trips or after a few weeks or months, most hit in these type of situations end up not seeing the <SSSS> repeat consistently.

If the <SSSS> is hitting from flights on the same ticketed PNR, then there is generally not a greater need to worry about these <SSSS> flags.

DHS TRIP is generally a waste of time in these situations; and sometimes it even makes things worse as it could ossify matters.
So DON'T do the DHS TRIP thing? How long should I give it? I probably go through TSA checks 6x a month. It's going to be a long month.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2017 at 8:09 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
So DON'T do the DHS TRIP thing? How long should I give it? I probably go through TSA checks 6x a month. It's going to be a long month.
You can do DHS TRIP if you wish, but I've not seen it speed up things for people who got subjected to <SSSS> due to a ESL-listing driver or due to a hit PNR-listing driver.

DHS TRIP was meant for assisting people who got hit by a blacklisting of someone else with close biographic elements to themselves; it was meant to help avoid confusion with those on a government blacklist -- and that is about all the redress number still does. Your family is unlikely to have fallen into such biographic data confusion all in one fell swoop, and so the RN given by DHS TRIP won't really do much good for most people in your kind of situation. And a manual review by way of DHS TRIP may even result in extended flagging in some cases (rare as those are).

It might be a long month or two or three, but <SSSS> for more than two months for someone flying 6 separate itineraries a month is uncommon. I've seen it frequently drop off within 6-8 weeks or well before.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:56 am Reason: Opinion/commentary term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.