Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
How did they know [bolded] at JFK? The TSA agents who scan bps and check ids, can't input info into a computer.
Apparently, lounge agent spotted it when I asked about upgrading with miles. When I got paged, I assumed it was for my new boarding pass/seat assignment, but instead got a nasty surprise.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:26 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Scifience
Apparently, lounge agent spotted it when I asked about upgrading with miles. When I got paged, I assumed it was for my new boarding pass/seat assignment, but instead got a nasty surprise.
I've had very few SSSS; do the TSA agents make special notes on your bp when they've checked an SSSSed pax? In many airports [dfw, ord, but I don't think jfk] they have special kiosks airside (of security) where one can print new bps (upgrades, flight changes etc.)--those bps would have NO TSA notations on them.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
I've had very few SSSS; do the TSA agents make special notes on your bp when they've checked an SSSSed pax? In many airports [dfw, ord, but I don't think jfk] they have special kiosks airside (of security) where one can print new bps (upgrades, flight changes etc.)--those bps would have NO TSA notations on them.
IME, there are generally some kind of magic scribbles applied at the checkpoint (at least within the US; abroad, the SSSS usually happens at the gate).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Stamp and scribble sig or just the latter.

But they should know better than to make an issue when it's a connection boarding pass that is presented and the passenger is already at the connection airport.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Stamp and scribble sig or just the latter.

But they should know better than to make an issue when it's a connection boarding pass that is presented and the passenger is already at the connection airport.
I agree, but that is not what happened as I attempted to board US869 SFO/HKG on May 1. I was denied boarding because of the infamous SSSS on my HKG boarding pass, and even though I still had the annotated TSA pass marked "cleared" from Portland TSA earlier in the day, I had to wait at the gate until two TSA agents re-inspected and then a superviser had to approve my boarding. This took 30 minutes, and I was the last passenger to board.

I shudder to imagine what would have happened if I had checked luggage.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by artvandalay
I agree, but that is not what happened as I attempted to board US869 SFO/HKG on May 1. I was denied boarding because of the infamous SSSS on my HKG boarding pass, and even though I still had the annotated TSA pass marked "cleared" from Portland TSA earlier in the day, I had to wait at the gate until two TSA agents re-inspected and then a superviser had to approve my boarding. This took 30 minutes, and I was the last passenger to board.

I shudder to imagine what would have happened if I had checked luggage.
Indeed it isn't what always happens.

Some bag tags have been printed out with SSSS on them, and there is some push by TSA to make it more usual to handle SSSS passengers' checked luggage more differently and otherwise expand the "profiling" stupidity to how checked bags are screened.

Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Scifience
IME, there are generally some kind of magic scribbles applied at the checkpoint (at least within the US; abroad, the SSSS usually happens at the gate).
Last year, I was SSSSed by Delta on two departures out of TLV -- while being given Pre-Check for my later flights in the US on the same itineraries.

The first time I got the SSSS, I was told at check in that Israel Security would have to re-approve me. Security was called, it asked to see my American and Israeli passports and then told me I was fine.

The second time, Delta told me that they are no longer paying attention to the SSSS and let me right through.

(There is absolutely no point in doing an SSSS in Tel Aviv as you are now allowed to even get to check in until Israel Security is satisfied that you represent no threat. Delta is well aware of this as on TLV-JFK flights it only asks at the gate if you are carrying any liquids but on JFK-TLV flights you are given the entire TSA-type search when you get to the gate.)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:46 am

I hope someone can help me as this is getting a little bit annoying (to say the least). I am a million miler on AA, have flown over 100k miles so far on Delta this year alone, have global entry, a known traveller number and recently (for my past 20 flights) have been constantly unable to check in online and have had the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass once I check in at the airport - this means I have to under go extra screening which takes approx 20mins AND then extra screening at the gate. I have written to TSA and they assigned me a Redress number and reviewed my application. I received a "standard" letter in the mail stating that they completed the researched with the agencies and that they can't provide any information and that I should apply my redress number on all my flights - which I have - however I get stopped, not randomly, but EVERYTIME... Can someone please let me know IF I can do anything else.

THANK YOU
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since this seems to concern problems with your status as a trusted traveler, the thread has been relocated to the Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers forum for feedback.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Good luck and thanks to all who respond.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:36 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by W1zees01
I hope someone can help me as this is getting a little bit annoying (to say the least). I am a million miler on AA, have flown over 100k miles so far on Delta this year alone, have global entry, a known traveller number and recently (for my past 20 flights) have been constantly unable to check in online and have had the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass once I check in at the airport - this means I have to under go extra screening which takes approx 20mins AND then extra screening at the gate. I have written to TSA and they assigned me a Redress number and reviewed my application. I received a "standard" letter in the mail stating that they completed the researched with the agencies and that they can't provide any information and that I should apply my redress number on all my flights - which I have - however I get stopped, not randomly, but EVERYTIME... Can someone please let me know IF I can do anything else.

THANK YOU
You are on a terrorist watchlist. Have you traveled to any "scary" countries lately?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by W1zees01

THANK YOU
Of the past 20 flights, how many were on AA and how many were on DL?

It sounds like you are getting SSSS as a result of being on a US government blacklist.

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:38 am

Thank you for your response. All have been on DL - I moved over from AA last year. Within the past year, I have travelled to the UK, Aruba, Turkey, Germany, Singapore and Dubai (international) and many places within the US.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkey might be the culprit.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by Ari
Turkey might be the culprit.
Really??? And the foundation for your suspicion is... ????
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcf27
Really??? And the foundation for your suspicion is... ????
Travel to/from Turkey has gotten people onto some US blacklists that result in <SSSS> boarding passes. The reason Turkey travel has become a huge flag and resulted in <SSSS> is that Turkey had become a primary transit point for people heading to/from militant outfits to join up fighting Iranian-backed governments and other Iranian-backed elements around Syria and Iraq. Paranoia about some passengers to/from Turkey has resulted in <SSSS> -- and while I don't like the outcome it is what it is and a possible explanation (as it has been for others).

OP, change your ticket bookings when flying DL to have "DR" as a title instead of "Mr/Mrs/Ms".

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:54 am Reason: Opinion/commentary term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.