Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TRIP/Redress# can often help with addressing flagging done by the US for applicable trips. TRIP/Redress# doesn’t do much of anything when the operating airline/airline’s security contractor has a booked passenger flagged for/at check-in as part of meeting a SSSS screening quota or otherwise.

I have repeatedly gotten SSSS boarding passes when flying AA from LHR, as an EXP and otherwise. Not gotten them as frequently with UA@LHR (albeit my last one with UA was years ago when I was a 1k@UA), and almost never gotten them with DL@LHR.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GUWonder
TRIP/Redress# can often help with addressing flagging done by the US for applicable trips. TRIP/Redress# doesn’t do much of anything when the operating airline/airline’s security contractor has a booked passenger flagged for/at check-in as part of meeting a SSSS screening quota or otherwise.

I have repeatedly gotten SSSS boarding passes when flying AA from LHR, as an EXP and otherwise. Not gotten them as frequently with UA@LHR (albeit my last one was with UA was years ago when I was a 1k@UA), and almost never gotten them with DL@LHR.
Many thanks. So, if I understand it correctly, for international flights to the US, it is the carrier (like AA) or their assigned security contractor (ICTS for AA/BA) is responsible for flagging SSSS. And, for flagging SSSS, they don't take into account of KTN, Redress #, or Frequent Flyer status, etc. Am I correct here? If yes, can you provide some reference to this?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
@Tintin,

I recommend that you take a look at the main thread on this subject:
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have this happen on occasion, but I just assume its going to happen if you travel enough odd ball routes and fly enough.

I've had it happen on a one way ticket from Ashgabat, Turkmenistan to JFK on TK. (No shock there honestly).

Flying back on Royal AIr Maroc on the return portion of a plain RT JFK-CMN.

A one way on UA ZRH-EWR on a UA nonrev ticket no less.

I don't think GE makes you exempt fully from SSSS.

Each time it happens I worry that it will start some kind of pattern where I'll get SSSS every time now, or will get an X on my GE receipt.

So far nothing has happened beyond the SSSS special treatment at origin thankfully.

Once or twice a year when you do 20 or so international trips a year doesn't really seem that bad especially since I often am on international one way tickets booked close in,which I believe is a red flag in itself.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have GE and get SSSS occasionally, most often flying TLV-LHR-US. My spouse never gets it (also has GE) even when we are flying on the same PNR. Doesn’t matter if I fly BA or AA on the US bound segment. Ive heard it’s more common on one-way flights to the US, but I always get it on round trips.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:14 pm
J S

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Were those kind of boarding passes all for the same flight or on the same type of route? It seems like you've had this PreCheck+SSSS on the same flight boarding pass thing happen multiple times to you, and I was already suspecting that it was a reference for Canada-US flights. Any others?
@GUWonder: I was imprecise. I have 1 BP that has both "pre-check" and "SSSS" machine printed on the same boarding pass. This was an itinerary that was Canada-US-International (all one ticket). The CAN-US leg had both "pre-check" and "SSSS" on the same BP. The US-INTL leg had "pre-check" but not "SSSS". Both BPs were printed and issued at the same time in Canada.

I have had the problem of SSSS on flights back to the US several times (where I had pre-check on the outbound leg and my GE number is in the reservation). I do not recall whether I have seen the odd combination of both pre-check and SSSS on the same BP more than once.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:50 pm

I got one on return from tokyo to US in 2016. Applied for Redress. Got it again on qatar airways Doha to US in 2017. My wife and minor child didn't get any SSSS.

I don't get it on domestic flights. I hate the SSSS. It should be illegal to do this unless you prove we did something wrong.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

It is time for the periodic reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come here in search of practical information and advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs.

Please limit your postings in this thread to sharing experiences with receiving the SSSS designation on your boarding passes and offering advice on how to deal with those situations or avoid them.

If you wish to debate, discuss, comment or opine on security policies and TSA secondary screening selection procedures, what they are and what they should be, please do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum, which is the place for such discussions.

Future non-informational content will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
According to the above link, some passengers are just randomly picked.
Don’t believe it, even for a second. Nothing random about this.

I have GE and Nexus, but have occasionally been subjected to this routine. It’s usually triggered when you irritate some really clever airline agent or other employee. Last time for me was when an Air Canada agent was annoyed because I questioned why my TSA Pre status wasn’t printed on my boarding pass. Just before she handed me back my tickets and boarding pass, she wrote “SSSS” on the boarding pass.

Turns out the dopes at the travel agency my employer used left off all of my TT credentials when they transmitted my reservation request.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mynoles1
It happens to my wife EVERY time we come back from the Caribbean. Be it GCM, PLS - Business Class or Coach, Paid or Award there is no rhyme or reason to it. And, as I recall, the TSA Pre always shows up on her BP. Doesn't matter - she gets it. We actually pack accordingly beforehand just so her carry-on is lighter than normal just to speed up the process. We probably average twice per year down there and I cannot remember a time when she didn't get nabbed by the "SSSS."
My wife doesn't have pre or the like but generally gets it outbound anyway. More likely than not she gets SSSSed on the return to the US--usually only on the international leg, not the domestic one. How can she be a white hat when leaving and a black hat when returning? Is the air over the really that dirty?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:49 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This is the Trusted Travelers forum.

Pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 5, please confine your comments as closely as possible to the topic of this thread and the forum in which you are posting.

Let's confine the discussion here to passengers who have Global Entry, NEXUS, PreCheck or Sentri.

If you wish to discuss SSSS selectees who are not members of the the these Trusted Travelers programs, please do so in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum, where we have a thread on that subject:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
If you get a handwritten SSSS from a vindictive airline employee, why not just reprint your boarding pass?
atword likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by atLAS, aLAS
If you get a handwritten SSSS from a vindictive airline employee, why not just reprint your boarding pass?
Or use a mobile boarding pass.
GUWonder and atword like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
TSA pre check what happened

I’m at PHL now, flight from EDI in J, last night I couldn’t print my boarding pass but was able to print my wife’s. No problem at EDI but I did see the SSSS so I know I was in for additional screening - again ok.
I get to passport control in PHL, we were directed to the short line - life is good so far.
Pre screener at TSA looks at our boarding passes and sends us to pre check, we get up there and the agent says my wife has pre check but I don’t so I must go back and get in the regular line - I finally look at my pass and sure enough no pre check, so now I’m thinking what is the best way to handle this - I hand my travel bag, belt and shoes to my wife and go all the way back to the regular TSA line. My wife has no status, I have a lot of status does anyone know what happened, I thought International J automatically has pre check?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
I thought International J automatically has pre check?
That's not right, at least for the moment. TSA's criteria for who gets PreCheck changes frequently. The only way to get PreCheck reliably is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.