Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Old Jun 30, 19, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere in the TSS forums that travel to, from or through IST is major a factor in being designated for Secondary Security Screening Selection on other itineraries.
IST as O on ticket coupons used to be a rather frequent way for a passenger to end up on a USG watchlist of sort for SSSS. And then the selection would be frequent and back to back but also on domestic-only itineraries. I thought that approach with IST O coupon passengers had been curtailed tremendously.

PVDtoDELís run of SSSS hits in the past year would have had me wondering what is going on, more so if this were to happen on carriers where I was PreCheck eligible and the airline can potentially kick out a PreCheck boarding pass for my itineraries loaded with the PASSID number In the KTN field. And I would consider using the TRIP process to get a redress number. If itís the airline security contractors selecting for the SSSS hits, TRIP wonít do anything, but otherwise it could potentially help even with IST O coupon history.

Most IST O coupon passengers donít get into this kind of situation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 30, 19 at 5:10 pm
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere in the TSS forums that a history of travel to, from or through IST is major a factor in being designated for Secondary Security Screening Selection on other itineraries.
I don't think it's IST related because I have a 100% rate of Precheck for flights departing the US (except for UA154, which is technically an international flight with the destination of USA).

Also, IST has never been an origin or destination of a ticket I have purchased - I just transit frequently as a TK FF.
Old Jul 26, 19, 9:05 am
J S

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Getting PreCheck on a boarding pass for a US-bound flight is mutually exclusive to getting SSSS on a boarding pass.
This is not true. I have a DL BP for Canada-US that shows both pre-check and SSSS. It was not a pleasant experience.
Old Jul 26, 19, 9:07 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by J S View Post
This is not true. I have a DL BP for Canada-US that shows both pre-check and SSSS. It was not a pleasant experience.
I had assumed -- before you posted -- when reading the other thread (where you mentioned this) that it was probably for a Canada-US trip. Where was the boarding pass printed out that had a boarding pass with both the PreCheck and SSSS indication machine-printed out on it at the same time as the boarding pass was issued/printed out?

It's news for me if it happens on Asia/EU/Schengen/Latin America-US flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 26, 19 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
According to the above link, some passengers are just randomly picked.
Donít believe it, even for a second. Nothing random about this.

I have GE and Nexus, but have occasionally been subjected to this routine. Itís usually triggered when you irritate some really clever airline agent or other employee. Last time for me was when an Air Canada agent was annoyed because I questioned why my TSA Pre status wasnít printed on my boarding pass. Just before she handed me back my tickets and boarding pass, she wrote ďSSSSĒ on the boarding pass.

Turns out the dopes at the travel agency my employer used left off all of my TT credentials when they transmitted my reservation request.
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Gold
If you get a handwritten SSSS from a vindictive airline employee, why not just reprint your boarding pass?
atword likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:19 pm

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
Originally Posted by atLAS, aLAS View Post
If you get a handwritten SSSS from a vindictive airline employee, why not just reprint your boarding pass?
Or use a mobile boarding pass.
GUWonder and atword like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
TSA pre check what happened

Iím at PHL now, flight from EDI in J, last night I couldnít print my boarding pass but was able to print my wifeís. No problem at EDI but I did see the SSSS so I know I was in for additional screening - again ok.
I get to passport control in PHL, we were directed to the short line - life is good so far.
Pre screener at TSA looks at our boarding passes and sends us to pre check, we get up there and the agent says my wife has pre check but I donít so I must go back and get in the regular line - I finally look at my pass and sure enough no pre check, so now Iím thinking what is the best way to handle this - I hand my travel bag, belt and shoes to my wife and go all the way back to the regular TSA line. My wife has no status, I have a lot of status does anyone know what happened, I thought International J automatically has pre check?
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
I thought International J automatically has pre check?
That's not right, at least for the moment. TSA's criteria for who gets PreCheck changes frequently. The only way to get PreCheck reliably is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program.
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is no automatically gets PreCheck even for members. PreCheck members are eligible to get PreCheck on their flights, normally with a very high success rate, but built into the program is instances where members are subjected to standard security. I'd say personally I have a high 90s success rate over 8 years of being a member. Knowing ahead of time is nice as it helps with packing. If I have PreCheck I really don't care what is in my bag but if I am subjected to the actual rules (100ml limits) I will alter what is packed to avoid additional hassles.
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Yeah, J in a lot of airports may let you jump the line for regular security but doesn't get you precheck.
My parents, who are like 70, do always get pre-check, even though only my mom is officially signed up for it, but they won't complain if my dad doesn't get it.

If you do have pre-check, note that the first pre-check people have pre-check expiring around now, so you may be due for a renewal.
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pre-check is unrelated to class of service or status.

If you enroll in Pre-check and your data is properly entered, both for your e-ticket and KTN, you should see Pre-Check almost 100% of the time. There are limited exceptions, but for the average traveler, not relevant.
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
My Pre-Check experience is that I get it every time but am occasionally beeped for a manual check. This actually makes more sense than leaving it off the boarding pass so that you have advance warning.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:41 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
Iím at PHL now, flight from EDI in J, last night I couldnít print my boarding pass but was able to print my wifeís. No problem at EDI but I did see the SSSS so I know I was in for additional screening - again ok.
I get to passport control in PHL, we were directed to the short line - life is good so far.
Pre screener at TSA looks at our boarding passes and sends us to pre check, we get up there and the agent says my wife has pre check but I donít so I must go back and get in the regular line - I finally look at my pass and sure enough no pre check, so now Iím thinking what is the best way to handle this - I hand my travel bag, belt and shoes to my wife and go all the way back to the regular TSA line. My wife has no status, I have a lot of status does anyone know what happened, I thought International J automatically has pre check?
Always check to make sure your Known Traveler number is in the record. Even if you put it in your frequent flyer program profile, sometimes it doesn't show. If you have Global Entry, you also get TSA Pre Check, but there is no automatic right to use Pre Check. If you and the wife were on the same record and one of you has Pre Check, you both should have gotten it, so always look at the BP before heading to the security lines.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Were all of your flights in the same reservation?

If so, the problem was the SSSS. The SSSS, even for 1 flight segment, will basically eliminate all chance for expedited security for the entire direction.

Search this Thread