Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Old May 30, 2012, 9:09 am

Just curious, but if you got SSSS on your paper ticket, what would happen if you went on your mobile and downloaded your boarding pass to your phone--not as an email, but a in-app image ?

Anyone know if the barcode contains an SSSS indicator decoded during the ID-Check ? (never had the opportunity to check myself)
Old May 30, 2012, 11:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll bite:

AA YOW-ORD with PASS ID (GE) entered; SSSS.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Ari
I'll bite:

AA YOW-ORD with PASS ID (GE) entered; SSSS.
I was in the same boat as OP. First time I flew internationally with GE, I got SSSS on the way back. Ticket purchased well in advance, US credit card, etc. I got SSSS'd at LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica). Interesting thing with GE and SSSS is getting extra screening at departure, but not talking to anyone at CBP at MIA! Annoying, but not worse than a rigorous TSA opt-out patdown, except for not expecting the waistband search as I wasn't warned by LIR security that it would be included. They should have as I almost had a reflex reaction to it that wouldn't have ended well for my screener. Only flight out of 54 that I've received it this year, in fact I'm the only person I've seen receive it on any of them (for whatever that is worth).
Old May 31, 2012, 9:16 pm

Really? I just flew my first international flight after getting GE and was selected for extra groping at Narita on the way back. I told them I'd rather just switch to the next flight and that I would wait as long as necessary in Japan rather than let them grope me, but the woman at the gate told me I was chosen particularly by the TSA and that I would be flagged no matter what flight I took. This is an interesting pattern.

Can other new GE members chime in? Do you get special security attention on your first return to the U.S. after getting GE?
Old May 31, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
Can other new GE members chime in? Do you get special security attention on your first return to the U.S. after getting GE?
I received no additional scrutiny before my first flight back after GE, and I am almost certain that the same applies to the vast majority of GE members. I highly doubt your additional security attention was connected in any way with GE.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
Really? I just flew my first international flight after getting GE and was selected for extra groping at Narita on the way back. I told them I'd rather just switch to the next flight and that I would wait as long as necessary in Japan rather than let them grope me, but the woman at the gate told me I was chosen particularly by the TSA and that I would be flagged no matter what flight I took. This is an interesting pattern.

If being SSSS'd on the int'l segment is the price we have to pay for PreCheck on the domestic segment... that's a bargain that I don't care to make. At all. A domestic opt-out/grope is far better than a SSSS.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Since becoming a GE traveler I have not been SSSS'd on any flight (intl. or dom.) SSSS can pop up in odd situations: (1)I was on a flight that was cancelled, and rebooked on another airline--the system perceives this as a same day ticket purchase, (2)I was flying from cdg to jfk (a few years before GE even existed), (3)I was on a connecting flight lga-stl-las, my two bp's had no SSSS, on arrival in STL I checked if my upg had cleared, and that new (1st cl.) bp had SSSS--the agent was able to "suppress" the SSSS, but on my return trip I was SSSS'd on the initial segment.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Same thing happened to me, I have now received the dreaded SSSS twice in the past year. In both cases they were overseas flights where the airport desk or gate popped out a new SSSS pass to replace the one I had received earlier in the day.

I am hoping that it was just random SSSS i.e. unlucky, and NOT the result of recent travel to the middle east or worse an indication that the Boraxo name is now on the watch list

As noted above it makes little sense to pre-clear individuals through GE while at the same time subjecting them to heighten security theatre, but then feds and specifically TSA are not known for competence or intellect.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 14940674
I received no additional scrutiny before my first flight back after GE, and I am almost certain that the same applies to the vast majority of GE members. I highly doubt your additional security attention was connected in any way with GE.
Just adding another data point. First international flight back to the States after obtaining GE and got the SSSS out of NRT. Fiance will be in the same condition in two weeks--should be able to add another data point then.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:39 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, there is no evidence that GE is the cause of the SSSS, just that it is not creating exemption from SSSS in airline systems setup to accept known traveler numbers. The irony is that a redress number would probably nix the SSSS, but not a PASS ID.

It is just how [in]SecureFlight is setup. The proper tweak would to be for SecureFlight to take PASS IDs where offered and add that to the protocol for exemption from SSSS-- right now, an SSSS generated due to PNR factors is not nixed by a PASS ID, but can be by a valid redress number. It is just a matter of putting some lines of code into the SecureFlight software that no one has bothered to put in yet.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:56 pm

I got the SSSS earlier this year on a MAD-PHL flight. When leaving Europe with a U.S. carrier, one needs to go through some sort of question and answer ritual. Simple questions like if your luggage has been with you all the time, do you carry guns in your luggage, you get the drift. Since I was walking with a cane, the security guy asked me when I had surgery. I thought that was quite a silly question and replied that in the U.S. surgery is not a prerequisite to walk with a cane. I don't think he liked this answer and he left for a lengthy chat with his supervisor. When I finally was allowed to approach the check in counter, my boarding pass was printed and was marked SSSS. I don't believe that this was a random act and attribute this solely to the interaction with the security agent and certainly not to my GE status.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:02 pm

When I applied for and was granted GE, I did not receive any sort of SSSS and thank god have not since.

Dan
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:18 am

It seems hypocritical. The TSA's long stated argument for having an SSSS system is, "We need to know more about you." Well, a trusted traveler program serves that very purpose. The occasional misfortune of a random is partially understandable, but Global Entry passengers should not routinely be subject to this.

I've had Global Entry for several years, and I've always had good luck (perhaps I've just jinxed that.)

I also used NEXUS for the fist time for travel by air, and did encounter secondary screening by customs, and I just got a web check-in Air Canada boarding card without the SSSS. I hope that the good luck continues.

I think that the variations of CAPPS need to be able to recognize a valid PASSID, and that would leave security agencies to concentrate their efforts on less trustred travelers. It seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Trusted Traveler Card (ie GE, nexus) and SSSS

My wife, my 17 year old daughter, and I have got our nexus card (with GE privileges) about 6 months ago.

Together, we have travelled to USA three times, through US preclearance facilities at Canadian airports. We have each got a "SSSS" on our boarding pass - one of us at each of the 3 trips.

It seems that over the previous several years, I do not remember any one of us getting a SSSS.

I would have thought that our passport linked to our nexus card (and trusted traveler number with US CBP) would have decreased, not increased, the odds of getting that secondary inspection statement on our boarding pass.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could be anything from random bad luck to a specific reason such as your name has a close match to a fugitive and so on. Nothing you can do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.