Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Get a redress # to avoid getting SSSS
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:31 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
You say you have a new passport, did you update your global entry account?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DrBTN
Number one shame on me for not noticing something unusual on my boarding pass. I saw the SSSS on my AA MAD to DFW, but had no idea what it meant.

I am AA EXP, Only nondomestic flights have been to the UK Germany and Spain.

I am GE and TSA precheck.

Was not pre-check on my MAD issues boarding pass for my connecting flight so I had gate agent in Dallas reprint my connecting boarding pass hoping you would have pre-check, but did not.

only thing I could think was different was I got a new passport and did not update the passport number in my American Airlines profile and when I put in my passport number when I try to login online it rejected me, But that was before my DFW to Madrid outbound flight and I present my new passport to the airport at a boarding pass no issues heading to Madrid only on the way back from Madrid .

from what I can tell all of my new SSSS extra screen friends were all US citizens heading back to the states.

if he truly is random which I don't believe that makes no sense whatsoever what a waste of resources. Aging myopic dermatologists are probably a low risk group
It happens:
Originally Posted by TWA884
A similar thing happened to my daughter on our way back home from Madrid this past June. She got an SSSS on her boarding card, despite having GE. In addition, she did not get Pre✓ on the boarding pass for her connecting flight in the US. Having that boarding pass reprinted in the US did not bring back the Pre✓. I suspect that American's security contractors in MAD had to meet a quota for secondary inspections.
I'll add that I asked a gate agent in MAD to check my daughter's PNR. Her KTN was there.

BTW, I've merged your question into an existing discussion of that topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, SWA Rapid Rewards
SSSS

In regards to the question of updating my passport number with global entry the answer is no

I got a new passport last fall and didn't think about trying to update GE until right before an international trip but global entry worked perfectly fine when I returned back from London and global entry worked fine on the trip back from Madrid there was no global entry problem the only problem was SSSS in Madrid
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: GE
I am not sure why people are confused by the concept of random SSSS. The entire idea of handing it out randomly is that it happens for no reason at all. Everyone, equally, independent of TT or Redress status.

Handing out random SSSS by computer is probably a much fairer system than profiling people at the checkpoint by their name or looks.

A one-time SSSS, especially on an international US-inbound flight (where they seem to like to hand out random SSSS a lot) is probably just that, a one-time random SSSS.

Multiple consecutive SSSS is probably not random. Travel history, shared name with someone else, being on some list. Non-random SSSS is what redress is designed to fix.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown ZRH-JFK a lot. Even though I'm in GE, once my bp had SSSS = extra inspection at the gate; there was a list of about 20 names all "randomly" SSSSd [for intl to USA on US carriers, this is done by DHS].
PS: all my bps (except the one noted) from ZRH-JFK note TSA PRECHECK..a meaningless concept out of ZRH.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
I've flown ZRH-JFK a lot. Even though I'm in GE, once my bp had SSSS = extra inspection at the gate; there was a list of about 20 names all "randomly" SSSSd [for intl to USA on US carriers, this is done by DHS].
PS: all my bps (except the one noted) from ZRH-JFK note TSA PRECHECK..a meaningless concept out of ZRH.
For international flights to the US on US carriers, the hits for this are not done just by DHS. A whole lot of these selections are done by the airline/airline contractors without DHS doing the selection.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
is there any link for the people that get the intl SSSS's (inbound to the US) when these actually stop.

I thought mine would stop when getting GE but i still have it last time i went (a few months ago), but overall it would of been about 3 years ive been getting these in intl inbounds. I still get my precheck when flying back to europe or domestic in the US too.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Uh oh--- just got this on AA inbound international flight. Assume it is SSSS

"These passengers are checked in but need to get boarding passes at the airport:"
[1/3 pax names]
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by aidy
is there any link for the people that get the intl SSSS's (inbound to the US) when these actually stop.

I thought mine would stop when getting GE but i still have it last time i went (a few months ago), but overall it would of been about 3 years ive been getting these in intl inbounds. I still get my precheck when flying back to europe or domestic in the US too.
Probably travel history and/or name collision. You might want to look at applying for redress.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

happened to me recently i think for first time

CA>US after getting precheck on US>CA

was not a big deal at CA airport(s)

AC would not allow me to check in online
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The number of times I've seen American infants/toddlers hit with this on CA-US flights is more than I care to count. The consequence of such selection is sometimes that the screener at the Canadian airport asks for an accompanying adult -- if there is more than one accompanying adult, they sometimes may even choose which one -- will have to be the replacement target due to the infant/toddler being selected. Having PreCheck for flights on the same itinerary or having Global Entry won't commonly make a difference for this kind of circumstance.

Beside the self check-in inhibition tied to this kind of hit, much of the rest of what goes on varies by the circumstances. Usually the rest of what goes on is considerably different than what happens at US airports for those with such hit designations on their boarding passes.

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Probably travel history and/or name collision. You might want to look at applying for redress.
By "name collision", include people being manually selected by those government employees or airline/airline contractor employees prejudiced against certain kinds of passengers whose names or other factors may give the appearance (to the selectors) of the passenger being a part of group(s) disliked by the prejudicial target selector. That happens even independent of travel history, independent of formal governmental blacklisting, and even independent of name-related confusion with those blacklisted in governmental electronic systems relevant to this area.

TRIP/redress process doesn't get the airline/airline security contractors to cut-back on the rate of being selected to hit by this on US-bound international flights. When it comes to passengers who only see this on US-bound international flights, take it that most of these selections on US-bound flights are not a sign of being formally and indefinitely blacklisted by the government and requiring any action (toward the government) on the part of such passengers to see that rate of selection drop.

It's the airline/airline contractors that are driving most of these selections of passengers who get PreCheck on most/all US domestic flights (and even US-originating international flights) yet get this hit only for (some or even multiple) flights headed to the US. Nowadays, such selections (i.e., passengers getting hit by this only when headed to the US but otherwise getting PreCheck on other kind of flights operated by the US carriers) account for the vast majority of passengers on US airlines hit by this.

It's well possible to get hit by this kind of selection on US-bound travel and still get PreCheck on the continuing leg. It's well possible to get PreCheck on the US-departing flights always and yet repeatedly get hit by this SSSS kind of stuff. The DHS Redress/TRIP process generally doesn't do any good for most all of those hit by this kind of stuff.

Originally Posted by aidy

When flying to the US, avoid flying to the US on US carriers out of airports with US CBP/IAP working the airport, for then you'll probably see this less frequently; and if you avoid flying on US carriers to the US, you'll probably get the extra attention even less frequently. Those are the more effective ways of dealing with this when the government keeps giving you Precheck on US-originating flights.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
Uh oh--- just got this on AA inbound international flight. Assume it is SSSS

"These passengers are checked in but need to get boarding passes at the airport:"
[1/3 pax names]
i was right, it was ssss inbound international but painless at the airport. They filled out a log book etc but nothing major. Didn't show on my connecting domestic, but I didn't have my usual precheck while the other two Pax did. I reprinted bp in us at a kiosk in terminal and it showed ssss again. Let's see how long this lasts. The security lady in the international departure airport said it was an American Airlines issue and she showed me 2 other people on the same flight also ssss-ed.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:45 am

Flights within the USA or departing the USA
  • SSSS is not common but it still happens -- especially to last-minute, one-way travellers without frequent flyer accounts, and not paying with a credit card.
  • Paid TSA PreCheck membership, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry essentially protect one from SSSS.
  • There are exceedingly rare random exceptions for paid TSA PreCheck, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry members
  • Depending on the airport and TSA staff, the process can be intrusive and humiliating or swift and passage to the front of the queue.
  • SSSS is designated by airline software under the direction of the TSA.

Flights to the USA operated by US carriers, including Canada to the USA
Flights operated entirely outside of the US but operated by US carriers
  • A certain percentage of passengers must get SSSS screening regardless of their designated risk status.
  • At "Category X" airports, passengers are interviewed (usually twice), and airline or contract security personnel may assign SSSS status.
  • Paid TSA PreCheck, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry do not matter. These risk assessment tools should be used, but they are not.
  • SSSS status may be printed on a boarding card, written on a list for security staff, or a certain percentage of passengers are pulled aside continuously as they board the flight. It is estimated to be about 10 percent of passengers, and thus 30 selectees for a three-cabin 777-200 or "1.8" passengers on a Beech 1900.
  • The screening may be benign and fast or even more intrusive than the TSA.

Flights operated by non-US carriers to the USA
Some airlines have software that will designate selectees.
  • Some airlines ignore the selectee status entirely.
  • Some require "additional screening," which might amount to another glance at hand luggage; others can be much more elaborate.
  • For Canada-US Transborder flights, the additional screening is conducted at the checkpoint by CATSA, not by the airline or its contractors.
  • Some carriers (Air France) have their own procedures for stopping random or non-random passengers on the jetway for frisking and hand luggage inspection.
  • British Airways has a random alarm in its boarding pass reader, but this typically just triggers a hand luggage inspection.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:52 am

seems mostly accurate but what is the source?

Originally Posted by Mats
Flights within the USA or departing the USA
  • SSSS is not common but it still happens -- especially to last-minute, one-way travellers without frequent flyer accounts, and not paying with a credit card.
  • Paid TSA PreCheck membership, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry essentially protect one from SSSS.
  • There are exceedingly rare random exceptions for paid TSA PreCheck, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry members
  • Depending on the airport and TSA staff, the process can be intrusive and humiliating or swift and passage to the front of the queue.
  • SSSS is designated by airline software under the direction of the TSA.

Flights to the USA operated by US carriers, including Canada to the USA
Flights operated entirely outside of the US but operated by US carriers
  • A certain percentage of passengers must get SSSS screening regardless of their designated risk status.
  • At "Category X" airports, passengers are interviewed (usually twice), and airline or contract security personnel may assign SSSS status.
  • Paid TSA PreCheck, NEXUS, Sentri, and Global Entry do not matter. These risk assessment tools should be used, but they are not.
  • SSSS status may be printed on a boarding card, written on a list for security staff, or a certain percentage of passengers are pulled aside continuously as they board the flight. It is estimated to be about 10 percent of passengers, and thus 30 selectees for a three-cabin 777-200 or "1.8" passengers on a Beech 1900.
  • The screening may be benign and fast or even more intrusive than the TSA.

Flights operated by non-US carriers to the USA
Some airlines have software that will designate selectees.
  • Some airlines ignore the selectee status entirely.
  • Some require "additional screening," which might amount to another glance at hand luggage; others can be much more elaborate.
  • For Canada-US Transborder flights, the additional screening is conducted at the checkpoint by CATSA, not by the airline or its contractors.
  • Some carriers (Air France) have their own procedures for stopping random or non-random passengers on the jetway for frisking and hand luggage inspection.
  • British Airways has a random alarm in its boarding pass reader, but this typically just triggers a hand luggage inspection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.