Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
My family of 5 all have GE (2 adults, 3 children under 14). We just completed a three week European vacation and on one leg (Norwegian Shuttle, MMX - ARN), my wife had an issue with security. We were traveling with liquid Children's Motrin in a small bottle - it was in the original box/packaging and we had that package in a plastic bag per security requirements. We presented the medication to the screener where they said they needed to test it. No problem, we have been traveling with it through many other European airports without issue. Then, the screener said we have a problem in that it tested positive on two machine for explosives! The lead screener came over with two other security agents, went through my wife's carry on thoroughly did more screening on her. After several minutes, the lead screener said it was clear it wasn't a threat but that my wife needed to complete a form that recorded the "incident" - and, she let us keep the meds and we went on our way. The form didn't log her passport number or boarding pass - just her name and flight number. The next flight we took (Delta, ARN-JFK), my wife had the dreaded SSSS marking on her boarding pass and her subsequent boarding pass from JFK-YYZ didn't have TSA PC marking - the other four of us were OK. So, when we had to go through security again at JFK, she had to wait 30 minutes through the standard line while the other four of us zipped through.

We didn't have a problem with GE terminals (except that half my kids get flagged for no biometrics on file but that is another story) - but I find it hard to believe the security event at MMX is not related to her getting flagged - we have never been flagged before and all of us had 100% TSA PC before that flight. My question is, will she be removed from TSA PC and forever be flagged for additional screening? Or, is there a way to clear this up to prevent issues going forward?

Thanks,
Nothing to be done in such situation as long as she gets PreCheck on some of her other trips this year.

DY and airport security at MMX this month has not relayed any info about such ETD hit to DL nor to the DL security contractors.

It sounds like DL and/or its security contractors -- the contractor IT system or manual review by contractors -- hit your wife with the <SSSS> trigger and boarding pass. There's nothing to be done about this situation and nothing to really worry about it if she manages to get PreCheck on some other trip this year.

Even absent the trigger of the ETD at MMX, her chances for such outcome on ARN-JFK and PreCheck disruption for JFK-YYZ would be the same.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:04 am Reason: Opinion / commentary / term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AC 50K, Aeroplan, FPC
I have been flagged four times in a row for SSSS traveling from Canada to the US. 3 times were business trips for conferences, 1 time was a family trip with my wife and 2 daughters, they only pulled me out for SSSS, the rest of my family was fine. All of us have Nexus and we are all Canadian citizens born and raised. Also none of us have any sort of criminal backgrounds, and have never traveled to any of the banned countries, nor do we have any sort of weird travel patterns.

After getting flagged that many times in a row, I filed for redress. The redress team never got back to me and the automated system said they were still waiting for my documentation even though I had sent it to them. So I sent a follow up email with my documentation again and I still received no response.

Then I booked another flight to the US for a conference, and I didn't get the SSSS any more. Weird. So I am unsure what happened. All I can say is when you get it happening to you 4 times in a row, it's really annoying!

What I didn't like was them making such a big deal about it in the lineup. They were like "Oh! You're SSSS that's really bad, come with me sir.", Everyone in line was staring at me like I was some sort of bad guy. It was very embarrasing.

Then after all that, I get to the gate and the GA does the same thing. She's like 'Oh, you're SSSS! That's not good!". Then everyone was staring at me again like I was some sort of heathen.

At the very least they can be a bit more discrete about it, instead of announcing it to the whole world.

-RP
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by rparamount
I have been flagged four times in a row for SSSS traveling from Canada to the US. 3 times were business trips for conferences, 1 time was a family trip with my wife and 2 daughters, they only pulled me out for SSSS, the rest of my family was fine. All of us have Nexus and we are all Canadian citizens born and raised. Also none of us have any sort of criminal backgrounds, and have never traveled to any of the banned countries, nor do we have any sort of weird travel patterns.

After getting flagged that many times in a row, I filed for redress. The redress team never got back to me and the automated system said they were still waiting for my documentation even though I had sent it to them. So I sent a follow up email with my documentation again and I still received no response.

Then I booked another flight to the US for a conference, and I didn't get the SSSS any more. Weird. So I am unsure what happened. All I can say is when you get it happening to you 4 times in a row, it's really annoying!

What I didn't like was them making such a big deal about it in the lineup. They were like "Oh! You're SSSS that's really bad, come with me sir.", Everyone in line was staring at me like I was some sort of bad guy. It was very embarrasing.

Then after all that, I get to the gate and the GA does the same thing. She's like 'Oh, you're SSSS! That's not good!". Then everyone was staring at me again like I was some sort of heathen.

At the very least they can be a bit more discrete about it, instead of announcing it to the whole world.

-RP
Contact CATSA on 1-888-294-2202 and let them know of the issue. They can generally explain to you better than the U.S. Authorities about why you are selected and can work with you to prevent future occurrences. They may actually also retrain the person who called you out.

Out of curiosity, did your SSSS interference with airport screening or also with preclearance?-- ie did you get customs/immigration secondary?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rparamount

-RP
Can you map out in sequence of hits the name of the airline involved for each of the hits?

Contacting CATSA about the hits may be as good as useless, or so it is for most of those people hit this way on Canada-US flights.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AC 50K, Aeroplan, FPC
Unfortunately I can't remember exactly, as I fly a lot and that was quite a few flights ago. However I do remember it was on Westjet bookings, not Air Canada.

-RP
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
For the first time ever I've been struck with SSSS.

I'm currently in South America. I flew here overnight from the US and will depart tonight, on a separate ticket, back to the US.

I'm an Australian citizen who did a status run on AA over the past few days. That run was nine flights in total with Panama City the destination (overnight). On the four leg return there was no SSSS on any boarding passes. In fact, three or four of my boarding passes had TSA Pre-Check which I didn't think was possible for a non-US citizen.

Checking-in yesterday at SFO for my flight down to South America none of my two boarding passes were marked. But the first boarding pass of the return itinerary from South America to the US has been tagged SSSS. I have a seven hour layover in South America, the end of one ticket and the end of a separate ticket (ie. the flight from South America to the US is the return journey of a different ticket that brought me to South America).

I have been to Turkey twice, most recently a little over two years. But I have traveled in the US, both on this journey and on a previous one, without any SSSS. Going from the comments in this thread I'm guessing it's because of (a) this is my second time in South America in less than a week and/or (b) I'm in transit back to the US.

I have six J amenity kits for whose lives I now fear for.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
Going from the comments in this thread I'm guessing it's because of (a) this is my second time in South America in less than a week and/or (b) I'm in transit back to the US.
Nice summary of your travels but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out why you were flagged with SSSS. I've never been able to correlate my travels with the SSSS's.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger
For the first time ever I've been struck with SSSS.

I'm currently in South America. I flew here overnight from the US and will depart tonight, on a separate ticket, back to the US.

I'm an Australian citizen who did a status run on AA over the past few days. That run was nine flights in total with Panama City the destination (overnight). On the four leg return there was no SSSS on any boarding passes. In fact, three or four of my boarding passes had TSA Pre-Check which I didn't think was possible for a non-US citizen.

Checking-in yesterday at SFO for my flight down to South America none of my two boarding passes were marked. But the first boarding pass of the return itinerary from South America to the US has been tagged SSSS. I have a seven hour layover in South America, the end of one ticket and the end of a separate ticket (ie. the flight from South America to the US is the return journey of a different ticket that brought me to South America).

I have been to Turkey twice, most recently a little over two years. But I have traveled in the US, both on this journey and on a previous one, without any SSSS. Going from the comments in this thread I'm guessing it's because of (a) this is my second time in South America in less than a week and/or (b) I'm in transit back to the US.

I have six J amenity kits for whose lives I now fear for.
What a fizzer.

All I got was an explosive test. My clothing and hand baggage was swabbed and that was it. The whole thing took about 90 seconds. No questions, nothing. I get explosive testing about five in every eight domestic trips in Australia. This was exactly the same although it took a little longer.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by samosa
Sorry for the issues

Most likely because or Turkey + one way. Doesn't hurt to apply for redress but will almost definitely happen on your July trip. September you may get lucky. Please report back.
The curse seems to have lifted (and I didn't apply for redress) - my July domestic roundtrip on Southwest went fine, got PreCheck, no SSSS so hopefully it was just those first two one-ways, right after having been to Turkey. Thanks to all for your advice!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:37 pm

Global Entry and SSSS

This Global Entry Programme is great! My first inbound flight since I enrolled, and I've got SSSS on the boarding pass.

The flight is tomorrow from Istanbul to Washington DC. Perhaps Istanbul is a flag, but I can't see them doing this to every American resident on the flight?

Perhaps, as a permanent resident, they know less about my travels than they might for someone travelling on a US passport. I use my European passport in Europe. My time in Istanbul (I'm sure that will be the first question in the US) was less than a day - transit.

It will be interesting to see how the Istanbul inspection goes. I've had SSSS once before flying LHR to IAD. It wasn't such a big deal, and the British guy who did was very apologetic, and (correctly) blamed it all on the yanks ...
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Craig
This Global Entry Programme is great! My first inbound flight since I enrolled, and I've got SSSS on the boarding pass.

The flight is tomorrow from Istanbul to Washington DC. Perhaps Istanbul is a flag...
Mine was from Japan but same story. First inbound after GE. It's not everyone but there is a pattern. There must be a certain quota of "random" people selected after being approved for the program.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:43 pm

What a non-event. Especially compared to my last one at Heathrow, where I really did get a going-over, on the way to board.

No-one took any notice of the SSSS at all. Miffed by the lack of the attention to which I was clearly entitled, I asked the gate agent if the SSSS would cause any problem before getting on the plane. She grinned, shrugged her shoulders, rolled her eyes, and said 'ah, the Americans. We just ignore it'.

Incoming at Dulles International, the Global Entry System worked as designed. No need for a passport, I just keyed in my Green Card number, got a print out, and went on to pick up my baggage without eyeballing a human. Fast lane through quarantine, and away to where my trusty chauffeur was waiting with her habitual big grin.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My girlfriend (NEXUS) got super unlucky a few weeks ago - SSSS on the Island Hopper (HNL-GUM via MAJ/KWA/KSA/PNI/TKK). Since the flight arrives from an international city, I guess random SSSS selections occur. She got the full HNL domestic SSSS treatment, which added over 30 minutes to screening in the morning.

Fortunately, boarding at MAJ/KSA/PNI/TKK, they ignored the SSSS designation. Otherwise, it would've been a long day..
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:50 am

I am getting flagged every time!

I have a NEXUS, used Global entry and have 0 criminal records or convictions or any mental health issues. However I cannot do online checking and the booking agents always have to manually check me over after they pull me to the side and make few calls while I have to wait as others zoom by. Even when I provide my KTN in my booking and carefully enter my APIS on their websites. Will applying for redress program eventhough Iam nexus holder help me? Does it even matter if Iam flying mostly out of Vancouver?

What can I really do?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No way to answer your question. How often is "always"? Is it twice in the past year or 10 times in the past month? You can wind up "flagged" (to use your term) for many reasons having nothing to do with convictions. One might be that your name sounds like the name of someone properly "flagged".

Being a member of a TTP seems to make no difference although it may.

So, apply for a redress number and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.