Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mats
Was it always FROM Overseas to the USA?

From my bit of knowledge, the following are circumstances that will lead a Global Entry member to get the SSSS:

1. Periodic incredibly bad luck (very rare)

2. Visiting certain countries (Turkey)

3. Mismatched name, Known Traveller Number

4. Flights from international cities TO the USA seem to have different rules, this includes Canada. I'm guessing that the percentage of random selectees is higher. So the risk of a random selectee status is much higher, and Global Entry either doesn't help at all, or it just isn't adequate because they need so many selectees.

If the TSA says that--say--15 percent of passengers have to be selectees, and it's a United 757 from Europe to the USA, 17 passengers will have to be selectees on that flight.
GE status -- even with the KTN being in the PNR, name being no issue, and no Turkey/SW Asia travel in the past couple of years -- may have actually increased the odds of getting hit by haraSSSSment on international flights bound for the US. I am implying that a higher proportion of passengers being "randomly" selected is not an explanation for all that is going on in this regard.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Rather than wait to see if it happens again, my wife decided to apply for redress at TSA, in case there's something odd triggering the SSSS. We'll see what they say.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by ziobacio
My wife decided to apply for redress at TSA, just in case there's something odd triggering the SSSS. We'll see what they say.
Has your wife flown on a domestic trip since she got the new docs (or since the first SSSS? The ONLY SSSS has been departing a foreign location inbound to the US, right?) If so, did she get precheck on that? If she got ANY precheck for ANY flight, I doubt she needs a redress number...

Also, has she logged back into GOES and made sure her GE number is still showing active and valid? And checked her AA profile (and in fact each res) to ensure the numbers match?

A single SSSS is a PITA, two in row would certainly make me wonder though (not to mention piss me off!)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yeah, sounds like overreaction at this point.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah, sounds like overreaction at this point.
It's not over-reaction. I applied for GE shortly after it started, and I got it easily. Although my wife and my GE applications went through easily, and we had both made dozens of international trips before GE without any problems, once I received GE I could not get through US Immigration anymore via kiosk. I was always pulled for secondary.

My wife could. I couldn't. They wouldn't tell me why. Finally, after one vociferous protest at secondary screening that took over an hour, the officer who did my secondary screening said, "There's something that was put in there that is an obvious error but that will make the kiosk kick you out every time." I asked, "what is it?" He said, "I'm not allowed to tell you, but I can see the error. You should go back to the airport where they did your interview and tell them that there is an error." I went there and did that, and told the officer.

He said, "Oh, OK. I can see that. He took about 5 minutes, apologized, and said, 'you're good to go." After that, the problem stopped. I've probably gone through customs 20 times since with no problems using the kiosk and breezing through since then. I never found out what the problem was, but the system has errors. Go to your GOES office and tell them what is happening.

It didn't have anything to do with travel to certain countries, strange travel patterns, or anything else. If this happens to you with Global Entry, you have to go there and fix it. It is error prone.

Last edited by Perche; Apr 23, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Perche
It's not over-reaction. I applied for GE shortly after it started, and I got it easily. Although my wife and my GE applications went through easily, and we had both made dozens of international trips before GE without any problems, once I received GE I could not get through US Immigration anymore via kiosk. I was always pulled for secondary.

My wife could. I couldn't. They wouldn't tell me why. Finally, after one vociferous protest at secondary screening that took over an hour, the officer who did my secondary screening said, "There's something that was put in there that is an obvious error but that will make the kiosk kick you out every time." I asked, "what is it?" He said, "I'm not allowed to tell you, but I can see the error. You should go back to the airport where they did your interview and tell them that there is an error." I went there and did that, and told the officer.

He said, "Oh, OK. I can see that. He took about 5 minutes, apologized, and said, 'you're good to go." After that, the problem stopped. I've probably gone through customs 20 times since with no problems using the kiosk and breezing through since then. I never found out what the problem was, but the system has errors. Go to your GOES office and tell them what is happening.

It didn't have anything to do with travel to certain countries, strange travel patterns, or anything else. If this happens to you with Global Entry, you have to go there and fix it. It is error prone.
All very useful data points. But I believe Doc Savage's post about over-reaction was a confirmation of my post where I indicated the REDRESS procedure might not be the one to use that this juncture. Based on your data points, I still find that valid. Redress, as I understand it, is when you have a close match to a watch list - apparently not the case you cite. (If it were, you would not have gone though your GE interview so easily...)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
All very useful data points. But I believe Doc Savage's post about over-reaction was a confirmation of my post where I indicated the REDRESS procedure might not be the one to use that this juncture. Based on your data points, I still find that valid. Redress, as I understand it, is when you have a close match to a watch list - apparently not the case you cite.
I would absolutely not use redress. That is for people who have mistakenly been put on a terrorism watch list, such as people with the same name as a known terrorist. You do not want to be on the redress list if at all possible. Do what I did. Go to where you did your interview and clear it up at the source. Don't get on the redress list - fix the error.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Interesting info, Perche.

Leave it to the government to give someone clearance that leads to increased problems!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Plenty of people with precheck/global entry get SSSS. The system is run by TSA. If you have global entry, that system is run by CBP. Apparently the TSA system has certain parameters that pick people specifically and other times it does random. Do not get redress that will cause problems.

I got SSSS once on an international flight (despite being GE) because i didn't put my passport information in for the API. (i'm guessing, they never tell you why SSSS happens).

SSSS is rare for precheck but its possible, and two in a row is not completely outrageous. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: DL,EK
I have GE and was SSSS'd on a ZRH-SFO flight with Swiss. My GE number is in my UA profile but I figured it was due to Swiss being a foreign airline. My brother who is not GE was with me and did not get SSSS'd. No idea why.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I just checked in at PVG on a flight back to the USA. I had Pre Check on my way out (had several changes to my outbound flights as they went MX) Was upgraded to full C on UA but I digress. I have SSSS on my Boarding Pass PVG-LAX. Will I ensue any extra issues upon arrival, or in the future.. I just did 72 TWOV and open jaw on this Itineary and came here on KA (Dragon Air) via HKG. The outboud was on UA/ANA.. Never had this in all my years. I DO NOT have GE or Paid Pre Check. Guess I won the lottery today? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:29 pm

First two flights I took after being hired with my second airline I was SSSSd and never saw it after that at that airline, or my next airline. Interestingly, my wife who flew with me on both flights was not SSSSd and has never been in all the flights she has taken. To me it just random bad luck to get selected and worse luck to get selected twice in a row.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ziobacio
This is getting frustrating, and even more so for my wife.

On our last two trips from Europe (MAD in March and MXP yesterday), my wife was selected for secondary screening, the SSSS and red sticker on passport.

We're both PLAT. We've been flying AA for years, for leisure and at our own expense, always GOLD or PLAT.

In January, we both bought Global Entry. Also in January, my wife's account was one of the ones compromised in a security breach, resulting in the issuance of a new FF number replacing the one she's had for 20 years.

I understand that SSSS is supposed to be random and can happen to anyone. But two times in a row? Right after getting a GE KTN and after getting a new FF number?

Any insights as to why this might be happening? AA says contact TSA and of course TSA is not very forthcoming.
The SSSS can happen to anyone if it is on a U.S./Canadian air carrier.

One solution would be not to fly on them but a European carrier. It reduces your chances to get SSSS unless your GE is under a American carrier profile and you try to input your global entry into a foreign carrier or under an Interpol tracking list.

I was always pulled aside by ICTS agents for my return flight on United going from LHR and CDG (never SSSS) and I got fed up with that and unnecessary stickers on my passport that I fly with Air France or Iberia and never have been pulled aside again !

Last edited by FateSucks; Apr 29, 2015 at 1:46 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I just checked in at PVG on a flight back to the USA. I had Pre Check on my way out (had several changes to my outbound flights as they went MX) Was upgraded to full C on UA but I digress. I have SSSS on my Boarding Pass PVG-LAX. Will I ensue any extra issues upon arrival, or in the future.. I just did 72 TWOV and open jaw on this Itineary and came here on KA (Dragon Air) via HKG. The outboud was on UA/ANA.. Never had this in all my years. I DO NOT have GE or Paid Pre Check. Guess I won the lottery today? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks and Safe Travels
My wife got SSSSed out of PVG last year--and absolutely nothing happened.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife got SSSSed out of PVG last year--and absolutely nothing happened.
UPDATE: and that's exactly what happened to me. I posted as I thought something may happen on arrival at LAX with CBP and was cleared very quickly as normal. I know they are not related, but I had concerns. So in this case SSSS was nothing more that 4 letters on my BP Thanks and safe travels..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.