Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Applications/Renewals Information, Experiences and Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Applications/Renewals Information, Experiences and Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kilarney
Thats definitely not the case in my state.
It may be that way but the question for me is how does Federal government view it? Can they even see the citation whether or not it’s considered an arrest? If they can see it and treat it as an arrest and an applicant didn’t divulge it then that could lead to a denial. It doesn’t take much to be denied or to be revoked.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Originally Posted by Randyk47
It may be that way but the question for me is how does Federal government view it? Can they even see the citation whether or not it’s considered an arrest? If they can see it and treat it as an arrest and an applicant didn’t divulge it then that could lead to a denial. It doesn’t take much to be denied or to be revoked.
Since the poster in question was placed on probation, he was convicted of a crime, most likely a misdemeanor. Most such convictions are reported to the FBI and appear in the FBI Identification Record. In California, people who were cited to court and later convicted of a crime are instructed to report to the arresting agency for booking, which includes fingerprinting and taking photos.

[with my moderator's hat on]

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

[moderator's hat off]
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:52 am

Interview and prints - 11/13
Email with eligibility determined - 11/14
Email with approval and KTN - 11/17
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kilarney
That's the problem with the question, "have you ever been arrested?" He should have asked if you were "charged." In my jurisdiction, many people are charged without being arrested. They are given a citation to appear in court at a later date. So the truthful answer to, "have you ever been arrested?" is "no."
The question of how your state defines "arrest" is irrelevant to DHS. It is how the federal government looks at it. Playing cute is exactly what gets simple processes slowed down.

Terms such as "citation" do not even exist in much of the country and in others, routine moving traffic violations are civil infraactions not crimes.

If you are going to hang your hat on this sort of thing, I would be very careful that you are 100% of the law relating to it, not what someone told you was their experience.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:39 am

Wanted to share my experience with applying for precheck at RDU.

Applied on line last week and set up appointment for Monday the 27th at 4pm. Many appointments available.

Showed up about 30 minutes early and was shown right in. "Interview," which consisted of no questions outside confirming the information I had typed in previously, took probably less than 5 minutes including getting fingerprinted.

I had been confused about what information they needed exactly - it wasn't clear to me if I was going to be expected to prove chain-of-custody from my birth certificate through my current name, which included a marriage license and a name change - but just a passport with a name that matched my current name and was unexpired was all I needed.

I'll update with dates when I get more information.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:30 pm

Nov. 27, 2017 - online application filled out and submitted. Made reservations to go to CVG for our in person interviews on Nov. 30, 2017.

Nov. 30, 2017 - in person interview for both husband and myself. I have been divorced, taken my maiden name back, and am now remarried. So I made sure to bring my divorce decree from my first marriage (to indicate my previously married name and my return to my maiden name), my birth certificate, and my current marriage license, along with my state issued drivers license. Husband brought birth certificate and state issued drivers license only.

Dec. 1, 2017 - we both received emails from UE stating that our eligibility had been reviewed and we would recieve a letter in the mail within 10 days.

Dec. 4, 2017 - around midnight from 12/3/17 going to 12/4/17, husband and I both received emails telling us that we have been accepted into the TSA Pre-Check program and that we could login and get our KTN.

All in all, it was a quick process. I was frustrated that we didn’t get our KTNs as soon as our eligibility was determined, as the numbers are random, but that’s just my own impatience. The in-person interview was quick and easy, with no hiccups. We were taken quickly and were in and out.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:02 am

No KTN field

Both my wife and I enrolled in TSA precheck last week. I had the in-person meeting on 11/29 and my wife on 12/1. My status changed to "eligibility confirmed" on the night of my meeting and I received my KTN on Saturday (3-day turnaround). Prior to being assigned the KTN, there was a field on the status page that said "KTN: Unassigned". My wife's application took a bit longer to reach the "eligibility confirmed" status (I believe it happened last night or two days ago) but there is no KTN field on her status page. Am I being paranoid or could this mean that she might be declined?

Edit: I think the website had a minor redesign sometime in the past few days. When checking my status, my KTN now appears in a new box above the rest of the information instead of at the bottom of the info like it was last week.

Edit 2: my wife received her KTN this morning, so nevermind. The status page design was indeed changed sometime recently.

Last edited by mtdoyle; Dec 9, 2017 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:54 pm

12/21 imterview
12/28 eligibility determined letter mailed

how long till I get my KTN?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing KTN not populating in the PNR were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:37 am

offices

My enrollment went smoothly but I feel the need to point out that the office I went to was a shared registration center/pet crematorium! Coffee and dog urns...be careful about which creamer you use...

Originally Posted by CMH1k
What a nightmare this system is. But what can we expect from a government agency?

You could sense that things wouldn't go smoothly when the program started and they didn't let you know if you were pre-approved (now it's printed on your boarding pass) and you had to "guess" which security line to go to at the airport, which resulted in having to wait in 2 lines for me more than once.

Not to mention the inconsistencies of the individual airport policies about shoes, no shoes, empty pockets or not, etc.

After more than a year of enjoying TSA Pre on every flight (32 flights), I'm suddenly getting boarding passes without Pre (I know it's random, but why now?), so I decided to sign-up and pay the $85.

I went to the web site and pre-enrolled, only to find that there were no appointments available. I tried again a week later and found that some were now available, but they were 49 days out! The website asks for a zip code or airport code to find your office location but it will not accept either. You have to type your city name (don't add the state or it won't work) and wait for a drop down menu.

I signed up but decided to try a walk-in sooner. FYI: the TSA web site had (and still has) a message that the Columbus office was closed. This was and is not true.

I arrived at 10:00 a.m. at a distressed office building that was largely vacant to find no signage at all. So I went to each floor and eventually found the office in a former forensic lab. The old signage was still on the window, along with a makeshift sign with lots of abbreviations and acronyms but nothing that said TSA Pre in any way. The crowd out the door told me I was in the right place.

I entered to find a tiny office with 8 seats filled with truck drivers and a nasty woman sitting at a small desk. It turns out that this office processes hazmat permits too, thus the truckers. I asked how long it might be and she replied she wasn't sure but at least 3 hours! So I asked when are the typically slower times to drop by and she snarled "Never".

The following week, I tried again and arrived at 8:30 a.m., (they open at 9:00) only to find a line of 8 waiting at the door. I signed in and had a seat and after 1 hour of waiting, there were still 6 people in front of me. It appears that there is only one processing agent and the crabby secretary running this whole office. The guy next to me said he dropped by the day before, only to find the office closed. Turns out they are closed on Mondays (why?) but this is not posted on the site, and of course, there is no building signage. I went to the desk and asked approximately how long it might be until I would be seen. She said it would likely be another 1 1/2 to 2 hours! I left.

This whole scene reminded me of the purgatory scene in the movie Beetlejuice.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until my appointment in July.

Hopefully not all of the offices are this poorly run but be forewarned.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:31 am

I had my meeting and was told to check the website for status. I logged in this morning and here is what it reads.

ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED
TSA mailed you a letter with information regarding your eligibility determination. If you do not receive this letter within 10 days of receiving this status, please contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1.
Status as of 1/12/2018.

What does this mean exactly? Does this mean I've been approved? I thought I would get the number online.

Please clarify. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:37 am

I have completed the application last week and will do a walk-in appointment. My passport is being renewed so I have to wait on that.

Hopefully, I can get everything done and get my KTN before April.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:42 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I had my meeting and was told to check the website for status. I logged in this morning and here is what it reads.

ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED
TSA mailed you a letter with information regarding your eligibility determination. If you do not receive this letter within 10 days of receiving this status, please contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1.
Status as of 1/12/2018.

What does this mean exactly? Does this mean I've been approved? I thought I would get the number online.

Please clarify. Thanks.
I moved your post to the relevant thread, where this question has been previously asked and answered.

TWA884
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:43 am

Should I add my middle name (to match my passport) for all of my frequent flyer accounts? Is that necessary? My driver's license only has middle initial.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Interviewed Friday afternoon, 1/26
KTN appeared on the web site late on Monday 1/29 for a one business day turnaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.