Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Applications/Renewals Information, Experiences and Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Applications/Renewals Information, Experiences and Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Applied on 8 August

Eligibility determined on 9 August

KTN assigned on 11 August

Reimbursed on my CSR as soon as the charge posted. ^
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:25 am

Keeping the faith

Appointment- 8/11/2017

Received Update Notification- Conducting Threat Assessment- 8/11/2017

Received Update- TSA Needs additional information, Please respond within 60 Days of receiving letter in mail - 8/15/2017

Note: I had a misdemeanor in 2011 but charges were dismissed in 2015.

Received letter in mail showing my record. I dug around for my court documents to prove that the charges were dismissed. I faxed and certified mailed the response documents same day- 8/30/2017

Received Update- TSA has received documents. Still under review
8/31/2017

Latest Update-
ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED

TSA mailed you a letter with information regarding your eligibility determination. If you do not receive this letter within 10 days of receiving this status, please contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1.

Status as of 9/8/2017.

NO KTN Yet

Hoping I get accepted... but I was wondering if anyone ever received this Eligibility Determined notification and was rejected in the mail?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by 8404VET
Appointment- 8/11/2017

Received Update- TSA Needs additional information, Please respond within 60 Days of receiving letter in mail - 8/15/2017

Received letter in mail showing my record. I dug around for my court documents to prove that the charges were dismissed. I faxed and certified mailed the response documents same day- 8/30/2017

8/31/2017

Latest Update-
ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED

TSA mailed you a letter with information regarding your eligibility determination. If you do not receive this letter within 10 days of receiving this status, please contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1.

Status as of 9/8/2017.

NO KTN Yet

Hoping I get accepted... but I was wondering if anyone ever received this Eligibility Determined notification and was rejected in the mail?
Update: 11 SEPT 2017
Spoke with a TSA Pre-Check Rep- She confirmed that once you receive the "Eligibility Determined Notice" it means that your application has been approved- It will also take up to 48-72 Hours for your KTN to be updated. I also asked her what would the system say if the application was denied- Rep stated that it would not say "Eligibility Determined" it would still say "Processing" or Something other than "Eligibility Determined" I will update you guys once I receive my KTN!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Appointment- 8/11/2017

8/31/2017

Latest Update-
ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED

Status as of 9/8/2017.

NO KTN Yet

This points to the importance of keeping attested or certified copies of the final judgment, dismissal or other documentation relating to the disposition of even minor matters.

I have no idea what the misdemeanor was and it is not important. What is important is that the systems in place do a horrible job of accurately reporting anything other than Guilty and Not Guilty. Even with those, there are jurisdictions which do a sloppy job and therefore final dispositions are not properly matched up.

This stuff is not just important for Pre-Check, but for any number of jobs requiring security clearances, financial clearances, and the like.

It is far better to spend the extra few dollars at the end of a case to obtain the documents, put them in a file and keep them with your other important documents. Forever.

It is possible that one can reconstruct an old dismissal or the like, but that can take a lot of time, effort & money.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Update: 11 SEPT 2017
Spoke with a TSA Pre-Check Rep- She confirmed that once you receive the "Eligibility Determined Notice" it means that your application has been approved- It will also take up to 48-72 Hours for your KTN to be updated. I also asked her what would the system say if the application was denied- Rep stated that it would not say "Eligibility Determined" it would still say "Processing" or Something other than "Eligibility Determined" I will update you guys once I receive my KTN!

UPDATE: 9/11/2017- KTN Number Received and got this email-

Dear :
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reviewed your submission to the TSA Pre✓® Application program and determined you are eligible for the Program. As a result, TSA will issue you a Known Traveler Number (KTN) for you to use when making flight reservations. To look up your KTN, please visit the TSA website at universalenroll.dhs.gov and select the “Check Status” link. Once you retrieve your KTN, provide it in the KTN field when making flight reservations, either online in your travel profile or by phone with a ticketing agent.

Originally Posted by Often1
This points to the importance of keeping attested or certified copies of the final judgment, dismissal or other documentation relating to the disposition of even minor matters.

I have no idea what the misdemeanor was and it is not important. What is important is that the systems in place do a horrible job of accurately reporting anything other than Guilty and Not Guilty. Even with those, there are jurisdictions which do a sloppy job and therefore final dispositions are not properly matched up.

This stuff is not just important for Pre-Check, but for any number of jobs requiring security clearances, financial clearances, and the like.

It is far better to spend the extra few dollars at the end of a case to obtain the documents, put them in a file and keep them with your other important documents. Forever.

It is possible that one can reconstruct an old dismissal or the like, but that can take a lot of time, effort & money.

I agree the system is broken... Our Government and its entities is fractured to a point that No 2 systems talk. I did not understand how the individual who was responsible for reviewing my record didn't see the "DISMISSAL" label. I waited for my DOJ background check to verify that it was dismissed in the system but I guess the agent must have had a long day and decided to make me walk down the long path of tracking everything down. At the end of the day I received my KTN number today (9/11) and also received this email notification.

Dear :
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reviewed your submission to the TSA Pre✓® Application program and determined you are eligible for the Program. As a result, TSA will issue you a Known Traveler Number (KTN) for you to use when making flight reservations. To look up your KTN, please visit the TSA website at universalenroll.dhs.gov and select the “Check Status” link. Once you retrieve your KTN, provide it in the KTN field when making flight reservations, either online in your travel profile or by phone with a ticketing agent.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 11, 2017 at 9:46 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Similar boat, however:

late-August 2017: NEXUS renewal approved, then immediately revoked

So, went for PreCheck, since that's even more important to me than Global Entry/NEXUS now that we have Mobile Passport.

Applied/Interviewed/Fingerprinted: September 22
Eligibility Determined (but no KTN): September 24

Let's hope that despite revoking NEXUS, this is a good sign...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
I'm a Canadian Nexus Card Holder,

How do I go about getting TSA Pre Check? And if I fly tomorrow, is it too late?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by yosemite1
I'm a Canadian Nexus Card Holder,

How do I go about getting TSA Pre Check? And if I fly tomorrow, is it too late?
PreCheck in included with NEXUS for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens (Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart). Make sure that your Pass ID number is in your PNR (probably only the first nine digits - in the KTN or Known Traveler Number field).

<with my moderator's hat on>

Please continue this discussion in the Nexus and TSA PreCheck thread.

<moderator's hat off>

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 29, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:44 am

10/25/17 - Applied online
10/26/17 - Appointment
10/31/17 - Eligibility determined status
11/3/17 - KTN assigned (w/email notification)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:53 am

11/2/17 - went in and got finger printed and paid
11/6/17 - ELIGIBILITY DETERMINED
KTN - unassigned

Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Chase UR
I have been denied for my TSA Request

I had an interview couple of weeks ago and during the interview the officer told me I am granted the access but only later told me to sit down and asked me again if I was ever arrested, I told him "NO" I have never been arrested, then he told me what happened in 2008. I explained in 2008, I used to work for a gas station and accidentally sold a beer to a minor without checking his/her ID. I was given a ticket and later Judge gave me a probation for 6 months and after that it was dismissed. I even brought the letter from the court as I had all my documents with me. I told him to make a copy of the paper if he needs to. He told me he doesn't have a copy machine and cannot take the document either. He told me, I should be getting an email later sometime about the decision. This morning I found out I have been denied.

I have never been arrested and the crime I did only resulted in getting a ticket. What can I do? I feel so helpless right now as I have never done anything wrong.

Please provide some help if possible.

Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Dextor143
I had an interview couple of weeks ago and during the interview the officer told me I am granted the access but only later told me to sit down and asked me again if I was ever arrested, I told him "NO" I have never been arrested, then he told me what happened in 2008. I explained in 2008, I used to work for a gas station and accidentally sold a beer to a minor without checking his/her ID. I was given a ticket and later Judge gave me a probation for 6 months and after that it was dismissed. I even brought the letter from the court as I had all my documents with me. I told him to make a copy of the paper if he needs to. He told me he doesn't have a copy machine and cannot take the document either. He told me, I should be getting an email later sometime about the decision. This morning I found out I have been denied.

I have never been arrested and the crime I did only resulted in getting a ticket. What can I do? I feel so helpless right now as I have never done anything wrong.

Please provide some help if possible.

Thanks
Hi @Dextor143

I moved your question to a thread specifically discussing TSA PreCheck as opposed to Global Entry issues.

Looking at the TSA PreCheck disqualifying offenses page, they appear to be concerned about criminal offenses, not just arrests. I am not sure how the question is worded on the application, but I suspect that it is similar to the wording on the Global Entry application, which asks about arrests and convictions.

In your case, because you were placed on probation, even though your were only cited and not arrested, it would appear that you were convicted of a misdemeanor*. Perhaps the interviewing officer thought that you lied on your application.

I recommend that you wait for the formal rejection notice and then follow the appeal procedure.

* I don't know in what state you were cited for selling alcohol to a minor, in California, where I am licensed to practice law, it is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and/or a fine.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:33 am

That's the problem with the question, "have you ever been arrested?" He should have asked if you were "charged." In my jurisdiction, many people are charged without being arrested. They are given a citation to appear in court at a later date. So the truthful answer to, "have you ever been arrested?" is "no."
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:31 am

I think when you get a citation you are technically temporarily arrested - then released on your own recognizance when you sign the promise to appear on the citation.

Originally Posted by kilarney
That's the problem with the question, "have you ever been arrested?" He should have asked if you were "charged." In my jurisdiction, many people are charged without being arrested. They are given a citation to appear in court at a later date. So the truthful answer to, "have you ever been arrested?" is "no."
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think when you get a citation you are technically temporarily arrested - then released on your own recognizance when you sign the promise to appear on the citation.
Thats definitely not the case in my state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.