Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more fingerprinting?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

no more fingerprinting?

My SO flew into ORD last week and reports that there was no "put fingers on glass" prompt at the GE machine.

Makes sense since there's now a stop at a counter where a human looks at your passport photo and at you. Also the fingerprint scanning has been hugely trouble-prone although not for us.

But usually such developments are reported on FT the first hour they happen, and I can't find another post on it here...

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 27, 2014 at 5:44 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 5:24 pm

I flew into EWR about a week ago and there was fingerprinting and no counter stop for somebody to look at my passport.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
A few weeks ago I renewed my GE; I had to go for an "interview", which consisted of taking a new photo and set of fingerprints--if they were planning to remove that step from GE processing terminal, it seems odd (to me) that they had to get a new set.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
My SO flew into ORD last week and reports that there was no "put fingers on glass" prompt at the GE machine.

Makes sense since there's now a stop at a counter where a human looks at your passport photo and at you. Also the fingerprint scanning has been hugely trouble-prone although not for us.

But usually such developments are reported on FT the first hour they happen, and I can't find another post on it here...
You sure she didn't go to the new(ish) self service kiosk instead of the GE kiosk by mistake?

http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/EN/A...t-Control.aspx
Old May 27, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
You sure she didn't go to the new(ish) self service kiosk instead of the GE kiosk by mistake?

http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/EN/A...t-Control.aspx
I'm sure. But it could have been an experimental procedure at ORD.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I'm sure. But it could have been an experimental procedure at ORD.
If they're going to do a manual check, it might make sense to eliminate one step.

That said, better to eliminate the manual check, which created sizable GE backups when I entered at ORD last year. The only place it's taken me more than 1 minute to get done with GE.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Fingerprinting is still required. It is a big part of the program doubt that it is going away.

FB
Old May 28, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've always had to scan my fingerprints at ORD, only once had to show my slip/pp to a CBP officer sitting at a folding table on the way out of immigration. Last time was over a month ago, although I can't see them changing that process. How did the machine validate his identity without the fingerprints?
Old May 28, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
How did the machine validate his identity without the fingerprints?
Well, if they bought modern technology instead of using tech from 2 decades ago, they would do it the same way New Zealand and Australia (& dozens of other countries) do it and read the biometric data from the passport image against the person standing in front of the machine.

But CBP, being a US gubmint agency, has crippled their machines and tech (& thereby reduced public safety and increased the error rate) for both GE and the general entry kiosks they've recently rolled out and doesn't do that.

In the OP's case, I'd say the person didn't use the GE machines because that's simply not how they work. If they didn't take fingerprints then it's odds on favourite they used the general entry kiosks without realizing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.