Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - New Passport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
Originally Posted by US_Usually
Back in July, 2012, when I got Global Entry and went to CBP to have my now-expired passport enrolled, the officer told me "When you get a new passport just stop by the office - no appointment needed - and we can update your record."

Fast-forward to December, 2013: I just got my new passport, and (following an online search "global entry new passport") followed GOES instructions and updated the GOES record with details for my newly-issued replacement passport - it was easy.

Have they done away with the necessity of an in-person visit? Can someone who's done the online GOES update without visiting a CBP office - and then successfully used the GE kiosk - reply?

Thanks
Did you find out the answer? I was told the same thing (going back to the office without an appointment to update my passport when the old one expires) at my interview. I got a new passport so I went back to the GE office. After waiting outside for almost an hour, an officer told me to just update it online at home and refused to do it on the spot. I am so confused now.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The rules have changed since you did your interview. There are a few threads on here about it and online. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...oes-membership
Just do it online. Nexus is different if you're a Nexus member.

Originally Posted by pollyG
Did you find out the answer? I was told the same thing (going back to the office without an appointment to update my passport when the old one expires) at my interview. I got a new passport so I went back to the GE office. After waiting outside for almost an hour, an officer told me to just update it online at home and refused to do it on the spot. I am so confused now.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pollyG
Do it online - it will work (just did for me).

I believe 2 years ago they were still issuing stickers, which was the real reason for a visit.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Getting Global Entry attached to a new passport

We had to renew my daughter's passport recently, and I seem to recall being told that when we got the new one, I would need to take it to CBP (at Boeing Field, for us) to get Global Entry re-assigned to the new passport. Can I do this on my own, or do I need my daughter to come with me?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by icedancer
We had to renew my daughter's passport recently, and I seem to recall being told that when we got the new one, I would need to take it to CBP (at Boeing Field, for us) to get Global Entry re-assigned to the new passport. Can I do this on my own, or do I need my daughter to come with me?
The current rule:
Updating passports or making changes to your GOES account

I received a new passport do I need to apply again for a new Trusted Traveler Program membership?

As a Trusted Traveler, you may update your passport (and driver's license, visa status, and mail-to address) through your GOES account. This can only be done if it is a renewal of a passport currently associated with your account and does not include a name change in the updated passport or is a new document/passport that was not previously associated with your account. If you do not have a GOES account, please visit the website and create an account.

Your Trusted Traveler membership date is not dependent on the passport expiration date. Membership will remain valid and active if the passport expires, however, you will not be able to use your membership at kiosks and land crossings until you update your new passport in the GOES system.

Once logged into your GOES account, click on "Update Documents" on left hand side of the page. Follow the prompts to update your document. If the passport involves a name change or is a new document not previously associated with your account (or has a new issuing authority), you will need to visit an Enrollment Center. No appointment is needed, but please contact the Enrollment Center first.

<snip>
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Those may be the published rules, but I'm not sure they tell the entire story.

Two friends actually updated at Boeing Field earlier this year - I was with them. One had a new passport, updated on GOES, then went in to the office. Friend had updated to a new passport a couple years earlier and every single time, he got the 'X' and CBP couldn't explain why.

The agent was great, quick, explained there was some kind of glitch, there had been multiple changes to the program, and some people were affected. Don't know exactly what she did, except type away on the keyboard for a bit and she may have scanned the passports, I don't remember. Told my friends they should be good to go.

The good news is that if it's inconvenient to visit an office in person, you can always wait for your first trip to see if it's even necessary. Worst possible case, your daughter gets the 'X', has to talk to an agent (keep a blue form ready and filled out, just in case), and then you will know whether or not you need to visit the office.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was strongly advised to have CBP do it at my interview back in January, with the agent saying, "You could do it yourself, (but) ..." and really not clarifying more. However, I dropped by the SEA office recently where there was about a 90 minute wait for the next walk-in slot. The agent I asked about it said I could wait, but seemed to indicate if it was strictly a new passport from expiration, with all other details the same, I could do it myself. So, I did. KTN worked fine for Pre Check, but haven't tried GE function yet.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I was strongly advised to have CBP do it at my interview back in January, with the agent saying, "You could do it yourself, (but) ..." and really not clarifying more. However, I dropped by the SEA office recently where there was about a 90 minute wait for the next walk-in slot. The agent I asked about it said I could wait, but seemed to indicate if it was strictly a new passport from expiration, with all other details the same, I could do it myself. So, I did. KTN worked fine for Pre Check, but haven't tried GE function yet.
Since I live close to ORD (15 minutes) I went in with my new passport after updating my GOES online and got a similar "you could do it online, but ..." as well. Had no issues with the GE or Pre. This was early morning midweek with a relatively empty waiting room.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Don't make a rookie mistake - update new passport info with GE!

Recently received a new second passport (yes you can have two) and I forgot to update the GE info online. Was a bit confused when GE machines were unable to read my passport (you'd think at least they would provide an error message or something).

Fortunately the CBP guy who checks GE forms let me use his line, though I still had to fill out the form which set me back a couple of minutes.

Don't forget to update your passport info!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Note that you can also do it online in your GOES account. No need to go to a CBP office to get the information update.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Note that you can also do it online in your GOES account. No need to go to a CBP office to get the information update.
Yes, I meant to say that. Easy to update online in a few minutes, if you can remember your account login.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, I meant to say that. Easy to update online in a few minutes, if you can remember your account login.
Note also that if you get locked out of your GOES account, getting your account UNlocked is extremely painful. There's no way to do it online that I have found, so I called the support number but it is frequently busy. I've called hundreds of times over the past several days. Anyone know of another way to unlock a GOES account?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:53 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
First Adult Passport, updating GE

Hey everyone,

When I applied for GE back in 2012 I was under 18, and thus had the minor passport only valid for 5 years. Well I just renewed my passport, and now that I am over 18 it is a normal adult passport valid for 10 years.
Anyway, I know I can just update the passport online in my GOES account, but reading the requirements of online updating it says that it can't be a new document (not sure exactly what that means as its a new passport for anyone).
So anyone have any experience if I can just update the new passport info online and all will be fine with my first time adult passport or do I need to go in to a GE office at the airport?

I'm traveling internationally next week so would prefer to have it all sorted so I can use GE when I arrive back into the country.

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by S.R
Hey everyone,

When I applied for GE back in 2012 I was under 18, and thus had the minor passport only valid for 5 years. Well I just renewed my passport, and now that I am over 18 it is a normal adult passport valid for 10 years.
Anyway, I know I can just update the passport online in my GOES account, but reading the requirements of online updating it says that it can't be a new document (not sure exactly what that means as its a new passport for anyone).
So anyone have any experience if I can just update the new passport info online and all will be fine with my first time adult passport or do I need to go in to a GE office at the airport?

I'm traveling internationally next week so would prefer to have it all sorted so I can use GE when I arrive back into the country.

Thanks for any help!
If you renewed your old passport through the usual processes, you should be able to update it online. It shouldn't matter that you now have a 10 year validity instead of 5 year.

What cannot be updated online: name change, issuing authority change (this is unusual) or other major travel document change.

If there is an issue, the kiosk will give you X and you just have to be processed manually.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I wanted to add another data point to this thread.

My wife and I renewed our passports this summer. We returned to ORD from a vacation in Spain yesterday, and her GE kiosk recognized her new passport and GE worked for her. I scanned my passport and got an error: "Invalid document. You are not enrolled in Global Entry." I was directed to cut the long line and go to a booth and the CBP officer took care of admitting me, although I had to fill the customs form (<redacted>). He didn't offer any reason or suggestions as to why GE didn't work for me.

So, go figure. Somehow, my wife's data got updated automatically but mine was not. Anyway, thanks to this thread, I was able to update my passport data in the GOES site. I don't have any more overseas travel planned in the short term, so I'll have to wait a bit to see if GE starts working again for me...

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 5, 2016 at 3:11 pm Reason: Unnecessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.