Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: EY
Colleague booked a ticket on southwest last week, and entered their known traveler number, though they hadn't completed the interview yet. They did the interview two days ago and were fully approved. Online check in for a flight tomorrow did not give pre check. Called southwest, and they manually removed and readded the ktn, after which I could check in again and received Precheck. FYI for anyone in a similar situation.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
My brother is midway through a trip. He mentioned that he did not get Pre-check out the outbound leg of his flight to me today so I checked his reservation and saw that it didn’t include his TTN. I have added his TTN to his reservation and am wondering if he will get Pre-Check on his return flight (two days from now). I’m concerned both because I added the TTN after travel had commenced and only 48 hours before his return flight. Is it possible for him to get Pre-Check for his flight home?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It is very possible. Just remember that PreCheck isn't a 100% of the time program and beyond that also the name, dob and such much match also for it to work.

Originally Posted by eakcats
My brother is midway through a trip. He mentioned that he did not get Pre-check out the outbound leg of his flight to me today so I checked his reservation and saw that it didn’t include his TTN. I have added his TTN to his reservation and am wondering if he will get Pre-Check on his return flight (two days from now). I’m concerned both because I added the TTN after travel had commenced and only 48 hours before his return flight. Is it possible for him to get Pre-Check for his flight home?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:05 pm

I finally have Global Entry and I have updated both my profile and reservation with my PASS ID. But it seems strange there is no confirmation, and you have to wait until Check in to find out if you have Global Entry or PreCheck on your boarding pass. I am not a frequent traveler so I think about these things too much. I fly mostly with United, but sometimes Delta, mostly from RDU.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I finally have Global Entry and I have updated both my profile and reservation with my PASS ID. But it seems strange there is no confirmation, and you have to wait until Check in to find out if you have Global Entry or PreCheck on your boarding pass. I am not a frequent traveler so I think about these things too much. I fly mostly with United, but sometimes Delta, mostly from RDU.
If you have your Known Traveler Number (same as PASS ID #) in your reservation, you are 99.9% likely to have TSA PreCheck on your boarding pass. TSA PreCheck is not a guarantee when you have Global Entry. If you are lucky, you may get the dreaded SSSS.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If you have your Known Traveler Number (same as PASS ID #) in your reservation, you are 99.9% likely to have TSA PreCheck on your boarding pass. TSA PreCheck is not a guarantee when you have Global Entry. If you are lucky, you may get the dreaded SSSS.
I can put the PASS ID in both my profile AND reservation, at least on United. Is that considered good practice?

Don't give me SSSS please!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is because, in theory but not in practice, the decision as to whether you are authorized for Pre-Check on a given departure is made at the time your BP is issued. In practice, so long as your passenger information matches the GE information, you should receive Pre-Check almost 100% of the time (many people have never missed it). There is some random element to denial and then there are some very limited occasions where people with GE are denied Pre-Check for particular reasons.

All a long way of saying that not only can't you have it confirmed that you will receive Pre-Check for your next trip, but even TSA could not tell you now as it does not yet know.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I can put the PASS ID in both my profile AND reservation, at least on United. Is that considered good practice?
Yes. More importantly your KTN # should be in all of your reservations. Sometimes KTN # does not auto populate into your reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Maybe you could tell me what you think is going on here. And please speak as you might to a young child. Or a golden retriever. Because I’m puzzled that you as a passenger have to do anything at all.

You go to an interview at the Global Entry office, which is part of Trusted Traveler Programs, Transportation Security Administration. The Global Entry fee of $100 includes TSA Pre. So why doesn’t the one department not simply pick up the information from the other, and why doesn’t the airline checkin counter not simply pick it up from TSA?

It’s insane that it’s up to passengers to fill out KTN numbers in airline accounts and sometimes even reservations left and right. Or did something go right over my head?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Maybe you could tell me what you think is going on here. And please speak as you might to a young child. Or a golden retriever. Because I’m puzzled that you as a passenger have to do anything at all.

You go to an interview at the Global Entry office, which is part of Trusted Traveler Programs, Transportation Security Administration. The Global Entry fee of $100 includes TSA Pre. So why doesn’t the one department not simply pick up the information from the other, and why doesn’t the airline checkin counter not simply pick it up from TSA?

It’s insane that it’s up to passengers to fill out KTN numbers in airline accounts and sometimes even reservations left and right. Or did something go right over my head?
Once you've entered your KTN in an airlines database, you're done. You don't have to do it every time time you fly that airline, but you do have to actually sign in to your account with that carrier. If you have an existing reservation, you have to call in and talk to an agent to get the number on that reservation. But once you have the number in your account profile, it's automatic from then on. Pretty simple, really.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean

From my perspective it's pretty simple. Update your airline profile and that's it. Do you want the government to have access to your profile? I don't.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TSA & CBP are both part of DHS but like two young human siblings they don’t get along quite well enough and often slap at each other. They’re not one and the same. TSA is a domestic operation with transportation safety as the stated goal (I will leave my personal comments about this out of things) while CBP, while mostly a US based operation, goes beyond transport within the nation (once again keeping my personal comments removed) and both have different responsibilities, goal & legal operation capacities.
Global Entry is operated by DHS as a trusted traveler program with CBP (immigration & Customs) privileges and bonus TSA PreCheck benefits. TSA PreCheck is also a trusted traveler program but applies only to TSA operations. Having TSA PreCheck is far from the same level as GE or Nexus for that matter and nowhere near a magic ticket in Wankaland.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

It is time for the periodic reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come here in search of practical information and advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs; please limit your postings in this thread to discussing what needs to be done with existing reservations in order to receive the PreCheck designation after becoming a Trusted Traveler and receiving a Known Traveler Number.

Commentary, opinions and rants about the CBP belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future non-informational content will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:09 am

I am arriving on DEL - SFO (ETA 6:00AM) and then depart Approx. 1 Hr 40 Min later on SFO - MFR (ETD 7:43AM). Can I expecct my GE will be approved soon after interview(I will use Enrollment on Arrival) so that I may use TSA Pre with SFO - MFR flight?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to predict this. Rather than entering anything yourself, try asking your onwards carrier to enter your new number at the baggage recheck. Realistically, it is not 1:40, but that less the time it takes you to make your way through CBP, the Pre-Check process and have it entered.

Presuming that you are flying UA, this is fairly tight. GE on arrival may or may not be in possible in the first place.

If there are lines at recheck, you should consider whether the time savings for Pre-Check at that time of day outweigh the delay at recheck (remember that if your bags are tagged through to MRT, you need only drop them, but not wait).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.