Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My fiancé got her GE approved 12/22. We took a trip 12/26-30. On 12/26 Precheck did not show up on her BPs. There was no line at security so we just dealt with it. Flying back on 12/30 BPs again didn't show Precheck. We went through GE at MIA and she had no issues. We went to the AA check in desks at MIA and asked the agent to delete and reenter her TT number and that was enough to get her BP to print out with Precheck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Have Global Entry, now what? ABC

Seem like one needs to communicate this information before flying so it will show on our boarding passes?

1) Have booked flights from SAN to CPH via YUL on AC. Cruise line booked. Just got our Global Entry. My guess is next I call AC and give them the Global entry pass numbers so I can use the precheck privileges and ff #s?

2) Back from BCN thru FRA on to SFO, before returning to SAN. All flights have UA numbers, but the first is operated by Lufthansa. Do I need to only call UA, or do I call Lufthansa too? In SFO we will go thru customs. Seems like we need more than precheck on our boarding passes. What?

The answers from above will take care of our upcoming flights, but what else should I do if anything? Should I call all airlines that I have FF#s with to update our files? Anything else?

Naturally, we will have our passports, as usual.

Thank you.

The paperwork that came with our cards, say we no not need to travel with our cards, if by air. What is the practice by FTers?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Member

I called UA and with the record Locator was able to handle our trip back to SAN...wait about 20 minuetes. Tried to do the same with them for the trip out, but she said I would have to call AC.

I called AC, wait time est over an hour. Please call another time if you are not flying soon, so I hung up and will try again later in the next week.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by ranles
I called UA and with the record Locator was able to handle our trip back to SAN...wait about 20 minuetes. Tried to do the same with them for the trip out, but she said I would have to call AC.

I called AC, wait time est over an hour. Please call another time if you are not flying soon, so I hung up and will try again later in the next week.
Perhaps you can access your Air Canada's reservation on their website by using their record locator/reservation number. Then add your Known Traveler Number to that reservation.
cheltzel, LCSinTexas and birdy24 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:13 am
Original Member

AC was really busy over the weekend and asked anyone who could wait to do so. I hung up and will call back mid week.

Additional question. Does the Global or precheck help any outside the US? Will it be on those boarding passes? Thinking about the first leg, as we come back to the US (in Barcelona, on Lufthansa).
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ranles
AC was really busy over the weekend and asked anyone who could wait to do so. I hung up and will call back mid week.

Additional question. Does the Global or precheck help any outside the US? Will it be on those boarding passes? Thinking about the first leg, as we come back to the US (in Barcelona, on Lufthansa).
Global Entry, which speeds your processing through immigration and customs, does not require to add anything to your reservation. It is done by passport information, which is included in your reservation, and facial recognition.

In order to spend your way at TSA security checkpoints at US airport, your KTN (known traveler number) must be included in your reservation. You should add it to your airlines profiles. The TSA PreCheck designation should then appear on your boarding passes and give you access to the Pre✔️ lanes.

At Canadian airports, you will be permitted to use their version of Pre✔️ by showing your Trusted Traveler's card.

There is no benefit outside of the US and Canada, although I have been asked if I had Global Entry a few times during the security questioning at European airports when flying back to the US and when I showed my card, that basically ended the inquiry.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TWA884
Global Entry, which speeds your processing through immigration and customs, does not require to add anything to your reservation. It is done by passport information, which is included in your reservation, and facial recognition.

In order to spend your way at TSA security checkpoints at US airport, your KTN (known traveler number) must be included in your reservation. You should add it to your airlines profiles. The TSA PreCheck designation should then appear on your boarding passes and give you access to the Pre✔️ lanes.

At Canadian airports, you will be permitted to use their version of Pre✔️ by showing your Trusted Traveler's card.

There is no benefit outside of the US and Canada, although I have been asked if I had Global Entry a few times during the security questioning at European airports when flying back to the US and when I showed my card, that basically ended the inquiry.
Just curious where? Seems strange to even come up. (I could see at DUB/SNN but not elsewhere)
Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just curious where? Seems strange to even come up. (I could see at DUB/SNN but not elsewhere)
Madrid and Budapest, and perhaps also at London Heathrow (it's been a while). Instead of asking me for the purpose of the trip, where I visited, etc., the ICTS International security persons, the ones who put the security indicator stickers on the back of the passport before departing to the US, started by asking if I was a Global Entry member, when I said that I was and showed them the card, they asked no additional questions, put the stickers on my passport and wished me a good flight.

[moderator's hat on]

Let's get back on topic, that is, what does one have to do with existing reservations after becoming a trusted traveler.

[moderator's hat off]
LCSinTexas and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Try to add your Trusted Traveller number to your existing reservations on the airlines website. If you cannot find where to do this, call the airline so they can do it for you.

LcS
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.