Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Moving thread to the TSA Forum
Please follow there..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
And I'll merge it into the existing discussion of this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by k374
I have applied for Global Entry and it is currently processing.. it will probably take a few weeks before the whole thing is completed and I get my card. Meanwhile I will be buying tickets for a vacation soon to Africa.

I have heard that you need to put in your Known Traveler ID while buying the tickets so that the TSA Precheck shows up on the boarding card. My question is - can this information be entered later during checkin or as an update to the reservation? Or do I need this during purchase of the tickets?
The airline can update your reservation any time prior to check in to add a KTN. Some airline web sites allow you to update your own existing reservations to add a KTN, but all airlines can make this change via their call center.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:51 pm

excellent, thanks... the airline in question is Turkish Airlines
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by k374
excellent, thanks... the airline in question is Turkish Airlines
Turkish Airlines isn't an airline that participates in TSA Pre, so you won't get it on this flight.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Turkish Airlines isn't an airline that participates in TSA Pre, so you won't get it on this flight.
The airlines offering TSA PreCheck are listed in the following thread:
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:31 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

A recent question and an answer about Global Entry and PreCheck at YYZ, which had nothing to do with existing reservations, were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:13 am

Global entry - how long to be effective

Folks

If I have an interview on Jan 31 at 8am at JFK and have a domestic flight at 11am, will the Precheck part of it be effective?

Thx

Last edited by sam007; Dec 11, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sam007
Folks

If I have an interview on Jan 31 at 8am at JFK and have a domestic flight at 11am, will the Precheck part of it be effective?

Thx
It should be effective immediately. Be sure to update your existing reservation(s) to include your KTN.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 11, 2016 at 4:02 pm Reason: Remove referral link after moving the question and answer to this thread
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Folks, I'm having my interview at JFK 2 hours prior to my flight. But I already have been conditionally approved - should I call the airline and add my KTN now or just after the flight (and before getting the boarding pass)

Thx
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sam007
Folks, I'm having my interview at JFK 2 hours prior to my flight. But I already have been conditionally approved - should I call the airline and add my KTN now or just after the flight (and before getting the boarding pass)

Thx
There's been some, maybe even a lot, of discussion about exactly when does KTN become a viable or useable number. I don't know if there's a consensus. You could try adding it now and it may or may not work.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Global Entry, Delta
GE and PreCheck - how long until it’s useable?

Hey guys

First time poster here.

I travel very frequently and have been told numerous times to get Global Entry, if only for the PreCheck alone. Finally got around to it and was approved at my interview this morning.

I’ve been flying [domestic] all day and I’m about to start my third flight of the day. Upon being approved I added my PassID number to my airline profiles and tried to give the check in agent my ID number for my last two flights, both times resulting in the agent looking at their screen puzzled and telling me “it didn’t take” - of course I realize that only being approved within the last 24 hours doesn’t give the ancient computer systems these airlines use time to update, but with the amount of flying I’m doing this week I’m eager to put this program I’m now a part of to good use. Does anyone know how long it takes before my ID number is good to use for PreCheck?

It also occurred to me earlier that my name might be causing issues. While my passport has my first and middle name in the “given name” field, I initially filled out my application with my first name in the First Name/Given Name field and my middle name in the Middle Name field. I always thought most airlines merge the Given and Middle Names anyway, so I’m hesitant to believe that this is purely a clerical error - the officer this morning didn’t even say anything about it.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by comment
Hey guys

First time poster here.

I travel very frequently and have been told numerous times to get Global Entry, if only for the PreCheck alone. Finally got around to it and was approved at my interview this morning.

I’ve been flying [domestic] all day and I’m about to start my third flight of the day. Upon being approved I added my PassID number to my airline profiles and tried to give the check in agent my ID number for my last two flights, both times resulting in the agent looking at their screen puzzled and telling me “it didn’t take” - of course I realize that only being approved within the last 24 hours doesn’t give the ancient computer systems these airlines use time to update, but with the amount of flying I’m doing this week I’m eager to put this program I’m now a part of to good use. Does anyone know how long it takes before my ID number is good to use for PreCheck?

It also occurred to me earlier that my name might be causing issues. While my passport has my first and middle name in the “given name” field, I initially filled out my application with my first name in the First Name/Given Name field and my middle name in the Middle Name field. I always thought most airlines merge the Given and Middle Names anyway, so I’m hesitant to believe that this is purely a clerical error - the officer this morning didn’t even say anything about it.

Thoughts?
Welcome to FlyerTalk @comment!

Since your inquiry is predominantly about PreCheck and existing reservations, I have merged it into an thread discussing that topic.

Below, I'm quoting a few posts on the specific question of how soon after approval the PreCheck designation will appear on your boarding pass.

I doubt that there is an issue with the name matching. You can find out more about that in the following thread: PreCheck name matching issues

TWA884
Originally Posted by jsk1973
How soon after getting approved did you fly again? I believe others have said that they've gotten TSA PRE after being approved for GE and adding their KTN to existing reservations, but I assume there's a minimum amount of time a KTN needs to be on a reservation before it will yield the green checkmark.
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA states that it may take as long as 72 hours after a KTN is added to a PNR for pre-check to appear. But, in practice, it will often be close to instant.

The key is to spend the time to make certain that your passport / GE / FFP profiles / corporate travel profiles all match letter-for-letter, including punctuation. If you do that once, you will experience a lot fewer issues going forward.
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
Over the weekend I pulled up some boarding passes for some award travel I'd booked, and noticed I didn't have PreCheck. I'd already had some issues when booking this ticket with my passport info not being added correctly, so I had a feeling my KTN hadn't been correctly added.

At the counter when I was checking my bag, I told the gate agent I didn't get a PreCheck notice on my boarding pass, and asked if my KTN was on my reservation. She asked for my number, added it, and printed PreCheck boarding passes within seconds.

This was on AA, YMMV, etc. - but I was very pleasantly surprised that it went through that quickly.
Originally Posted by jsk1973
That's been standard for a while, for people who have had a KTN for at least a day or two.

All in all, very pleased with everything about the GE process. Whoever is in charge of that should be given greater responsibilities when it comes to U.S. government efficiency, customer service, etc.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I did NOT get pre-check yesterday at Seattle outbound on Alaska Airlines. This morning I had my Global Entry interview; the officer indicated that I could begin using my known traveler number immediately. So, I added it to my itinerary for the return flight from Las Vegas to Seattle tomorrow, and then checked in by phone immediately afterwards. Coincidence or not, the boarding pass showed up with pre check!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:09 pm

I am flying out via United next week from tickets I purchased before getting my GE/TSA Pre approved a week ago. Now that I have my GE pass and TSA Pre #, how do I make sure my boarding pass will have Precheck on it?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by baydude
I am flying out via United next week from tickets I purchased before getting my GE/TSA Pre approved a week ago. Now that I have my GE pass and TSA Pre #, how do I make sure my boarding pass will have Precheck on it?
I moved your question to the relevant thread.

You need to add your Known Traveler Number (KTN) to your Passenger Name Record (PNR). You should also add it to your frequent flier profile(s) so that it is automatically added to future reservations.

TWA884
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Make sure the secure flight info (full name & DOB) matches your GE info as that is required for PreCheck to work & either now or at check-in enter your PassID # in the Known Traveler Number (KTN) field.
PreCheck is not 100% guaranteed but if you have the info correctly imputed you should be breezing through security.
Assuming you're new to PreCheck it's a good idea to review the website about the procedure so you know what is required and what is not such as belt, shoes & light jacket staying on but pockets should still be empty to avoid setting off the detectors.

Originally Posted by baydude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.