Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Non-Immigrant Visa to Green Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I was approved for GE 18 months ago while on an L1A visa. I now have a green card, and assume I need to update my details with GE as the document I'm using to enter the country has changed. I can't see any way to make this change online. Can I simply show up at an enrolement center and ask for this? Are there any documents I need beyond my green card and passport? I have access to the centers at EWR and JFK.

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

One other question. If I don't get a chance to update my documents with Global Entry prior to leaving the US, on re-entry do I have to go in the normal queue, or is there any way I can use the GE route?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I don't think my question(s) are specific to the L1A, but any transition from visa to green card. Is there anyone with experience of this would can share please?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Granted, it is a different change of status, however, perhaps this thread may be of help:
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Granted, it is a different change of status, however, perhaps this thread may be of help:

Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

So, I went through Global Entry without any issue, despite not having update my documents. The machine took my picture, then went straight to printing my ticket. I told the officer who checked my passport and green card that the last time I entered had been on an L1, and I now had a green card, but I had yet to update my details with Global Entry. He said it didn't matter and waved me on. I'm waiting to see what my I-94 says I entered on when it updates. I'm hopeful it says green card and not L1!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Daneel
So, I went through Global Entry without any issue, despite not having update my documents. The machine took my picture, then went straight to printing my ticket. I told the officer who checked my passport and green card that the last time I entered had been on an L1, and I now had a green card, but I had yet to update my details with Global Entry. He said it didn't matter and waved me on. I'm waiting to see what my I-94 says I entered on when it updates. I'm hopeful it says green card and not L1!
You won't have an I-94 if you were admitted as a green card holder. You can still find your record under Travel history.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thanhlqgt
You won't have an I-94 if you were admitted as a green card holder. You can still find your record under Travel history.
Thanks! I was getting a bit worried with the lack of update.

So this is interesting, it seems that to answer my original question, if you are on a visa (at least an L1), and get a green card, there's nothing for you to do when it comes to updating documents for global entry.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Daneel
Thanks! I was getting a bit worried with the lack of update.

So this is interesting, it seems that to answer my original question, if you are on a visa (at least an L1), and get a green card, there's nothing for you to do when it comes to updating documents for global entry.
My guess is that your L1 is linked to your Passport and your passport is linked to your green card. If you still have the same passport, when you scan it, it will correctly pull your LPR status. Not sure how that will work if you get a new passport with a new number. I'm not sure it will work if you try to scan your green card, instead of your passport. That's just my guess but it's good to know that it works seamlessly.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:30 am

A bit of a specific question, but if anyone can answer, it will be FT.

I got my GE whilst I was in the US on a visa. I have since become a LPR.

How do I go about getting the information changed to show my GC and not my visa? I’ve looked on the TTP website and can’t see anything about changing it.

Appreciate it’s a relatively niche situation, but I’m sure I’m not the only person who has encountered it.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello thedeeg,

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
thedeeg likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Hello thedeeg,

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Much appreciated - thank you.

It looks like this seems to take care of itself from the comments above. I guess I’ll see next time I’m out of the country.

I do find it a bit odd how little information there seems to be easily accessible on GE changes.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Much appreciated - thank you.

It looks like this seems to take care of itself from the comments above. I guess I’ll see next time I’m out of the country.

I do find it a bit odd how little information there seems to be easily accessible on GE changes.
I can’t speak for the poster above who said it sorted itself out, but I don’t believe that to be true.

I called the GE office at IAH arrivals and they told me to come into the office to get it sorted. You can’t make an appointment for this kind of thing so I had to sit and wait.

fortunately it was quiet and the officer came out within 10 mins and asked if I had an appointment. I said I needed to add my Green Card and he took the card and my passport away, having written down my pass ID number. 2 mins later he returned and it was done.

When I got home I could see the Green Card in my profile on the TTP website.
TWA884, ABZSimy and thedeeg like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mattg85
I can’t speak for the poster above who said it sorted itself out, but I don’t believe that to be true.

I called the GE office at IAH arrivals and they told me to come into the office to get it sorted. You can’t make an appointment for this kind of thing so I had to sit and wait.

fortunately it was quiet and the officer came out within 10 mins and asked if I had an appointment. I said I needed to add my Green Card and he took the card and my passport away, having written down my pass ID number. 2 mins later he returned and it was done.

When I got home I could see the Green Card in my profile on the TTP website.
Thats fantastic info - thank you.

I’ll give the CLT office a call and see if they can help me out.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
It was quite straightforward for me to get my Green card included on my TTP profile.
However, I have not received a Global Entry Card. Does anyone know how to receive a Global Entry Card as a recent permanent resident?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.