Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions

Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions

Old Jan 8, 19, 7:46 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LenaRae View Post
I am a US citizen applying for global entry. In 2014 I was arrested for misdimeanor theft (shop lifting) at the age of 24 (stupid i know). I was not convicted because I completed community service in an Adult Diversion Program. I can't find any records in my county and state of the incident, but i am sure there is still something out there that they will find during their background check. I am planning to answer No to having ever been convicted of a crime, but in the follow up question where it asks if you've every been arrested i plan to say yes and give the year and say that i was not convicted. Because this incident was within the last 10 years, what are the odds that i will be approved? I don't want to go through the hassel of paying the fee and traveling to have the interview if i will ultimately be denied - looking for any insight ya'll can provide!

** I should also note, that applied and was APPROVED for TSA Pre-Check after this incident occured and was resolved. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Honesty is absolutely the best policy so youíre correct you have to answer yes to any arrest. How they will look at the community service in lieu of conviction I canít say. Reading through the numerous posts on the approval process is a bit of a fog as reports of approval or denial seem to be inconsistent. Some folks appear to be approved with what would seem to be potentially significant issues while others are turned down for what seem like minor issues. Probably goes back to the honesty issue but not sure. Approval for TSA PreCheck doesnít mean a whole lot since the qualification bar is much higher.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:15 pm

Friend is thinking of applying for GE. I didn't have any experience with this so posting to see if anyone here can help. Is it even worth trying?

Has a 2010 "controlled substance with intent to distribute" charge where eventually the prosecution was declined and charges dropped (backstory: rented a zipcar, cops pulls over and smells something and searches and finds belongings of a prior renter with both a white and green surprise in large quantities).

He has all the court paperwork and the arrest record was later expunged. The couple years after the incident that he traveled he kept getting secondary since state expungements probably don't get removed from the fed system ever but that has since gone away. He has also travelled to over 50 countries for work including countries of likely concern in the middle east (e.g. UAE, Turkey etc).

Is this a waste of $100?
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: Amex, JP Morgan, Diners Club, Nexus
Originally Posted by casterpix343 View Post
Friend is thinking of applying for GE. I didn't have any experience with this so posting to see if anyone here can help. Is it even worth trying?

Has a 2010 "controlled substance with intent to distribute" charge where eventually the prosecution was declined and charges dropped (backstory: rented a zipcar, cops pulls over and smells something and searches and finds belongings of a prior renter with both a white and green surprise in large quantities).

He has all the court paperwork and the arrest record was later expunged. The couple years after the incident that he traveled he kept getting secondary since state expungements probably don't get removed from the fed system ever but that has since gone away. He has also travelled to over 50 countries for work including countries of likely concern in the middle east (e.g. UAE, Turkey etc).

Is this a waste of $100?
It sounds like it's not his fault, so I don't believe it's a waste but I would still have the arrest record expunged. FBI has to comply if there was a dismissal.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:21 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Anyone know if just having one speeding ticket on your record is an issue? I currently have GE but am up for renewal soon, no arrests/convictions, just a simple speeding ticket that I paid the fine for.
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:05 pm

Programs: Amex, JP Morgan, Diners Club, Nexus
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
Anyone know if just having one speeding ticket on your record is an issue? I currently have GE but am up for renewal soon, no arrests/convictions, just a simple speeding ticket that I paid the fine for.
A simple speeding ticket is definitely a non-issue.
JonNYC and DCP2016 like this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Action

A recent question about Global Entry renewal after suffering a DUI conviction was moved to the relevant thread:
Global Entry and DUI
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator