Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by notacriminalyo
I would like to say thank you for all those who shared their stories on this forum. Like most, I filled out my application and searched the web later for answers to find that I could have gotten myself into a worst situation. I got into some trouble back in the day which was not put on my record if I stayed lawful. Therefore I decided to answer NO. But, there is court information of the arrest and conviction. I realized I was playing with fire since I was "lying". It brought back memories and nightmares of the incident so I decided to not do my GE at all. 8 months later, my wife pushed me to do it since she was scheduling hers and said we can go in together. I decided to just go for it and bring the things I've learned from this forum over to the interview. I dressed well, looked clean, and printed out my court record. I was straight up and honest with the interviewer when he asked if there was anything I needed to tell him. At first he was going through and said things look good, but i knew right when he caught my court record and compared it to my application answer, his eyes lit up. So I told him I did have an incident over 15 years ago which was a misdemeanor that isn't on record and handed over my court records (even though he probably saw it on his screen). He told me that the offense was nothing to worry AND since it was over 7 years ago plus it was good that I was honest and came forward about it. After that he started talking to me how the GE works, and that's when I knew I was approved.

I'm sure results would have varied, since I got a fellow who have been in the force for some time and really cared for his job.

Thanks all!
Welcome to FT. Thank you for sharing. You know you have final approval is when your status changes to approved. After interview, there is still a slight chance your application is denied.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ZenKat
Does anyone know on the GE program what the stipulations are today if you have been arrested years prior? I had a domestic dispute two times and was arrested. It was a misdemeanor charge that was expunged and then one time arrested and the charges were dismissed. I do not think I could get records because it’s so long ago, one was over 20 years ago. I’m a responsible professional with 20 plus years in management. These domestic dispute arrests seem to haunt you for life. Does anyone know how to be certain that you will pass? How do I get the NCIC BG check on myself?
Based on recent experience, one misdemeanor conviction is acceptable, but two is a no-go for a *standard* approval. I applied for GE last month, and went in for my in-person interview last week -- and I have two 35-year old misdemeanor convictions (which I disclosed in the application). In the in-person interview, the agent was apologetic and told me that if it was only one conviction, he could approve my application, but with two convictions, it was an automatic denial. He said that I should appeal the decision, and that he expected that given the age of the convictions, my application would be approved on appeal.

I'll post the results after the appeal is completed.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:25 pm

I went in for my renewal interview today. It took a long while to get called back. I waited and waited. I saw people enter, check into the reception area then come back out. They were then all called back in and left shortly after. And I waited. And waited. People who arrive after left before me.

I figured they were running additional background checks or something. I am about to go to the door to see if I am going to be called back, as the waiting area was now completely empty... when the door opened and they called my name.

The process was super simple. I went back, got fingerprinted again, a new picture taken and mentioned that I always get the X. She asked why, I told her. She then asked if I've had any issues in the last 5 years. I said no. She said I'd get the approval in a couple days, my new card in 5-7. I get home, check the system and I am approved on my renewal. She then apologized because the woman before me just kept talking and talking.

All said and done, I am set for another 5 years.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:45 pm

No GE but got the KTN

You're correct, I recently applied for GE last month, I was denied also, It is 10 years auto disqualify for misdemeanor and an automatic disqualification for a DUI felony even though mine was over 30 years ago. Never been in trouble since, So for anyone reading this thread and curious about applying, don't bother wasting time/money if you have a felony no matter how old it is. So Ebes1099, you can try again. Good luck!

UPDATE:

So, although I was denied for the GE with a DUI felony over 30 years ago, I was able to obtain my TSA pre-check....YAY for me ;-)

Last edited by Mrsbrightside2; Mar 9, 2019 at 2:24 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside2
You're correct, I recently applied for GE last month, I was denied also, It is 10 years auto disqualify for misdemeanor and an automatic disqualification for a DUI felony even though mine was over 30 years ago. Never been in trouble since, So for anyone reading this thread and curious about applying, don't bother wasting time/money if you have a felony no matter how old it is. So Ebes1099, you can try again. Good luck!
One more thread that may be of interest to you:
Mrsbrightside2 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:33 am

Just applied with my husband. 12 years ago he was skateboarding and got a ticket for trespassing, not following posted signs or something along those lines. He was originally going to pay the fine but decided to appeal and was found not guilty. He was never arrested (detained or processed) and never convicted of a crime. He answered no for the have you been arrested question. Worried about his conditional approval now based on all these posts.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Dkoko106
Just applied with my husband. 12 years ago he was skateboarding and got a ticket for trespassing, not following posted signs or something along those lines. He was originally going to pay the fine but decided to appeal and was found not guilty. He was never arrested (detained or processed) and never convicted of a crime. He answered no for the have you been arrested question. Worried about his conditional approval now based on all these posts.
Well, you said he wasn’t arrested but still bring the disposition papers to the interview.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

I just got back from my Global Entry interview. I had an arrest but the case was dismissed, I brought the certified documentation and the judge even wrote on the notes that there was no way for me to have known about the incident that caused me to be arrested basically vindicating me from everything but since it was an arrest it shows in the database and I have to disclose it.

I was conditionally approved after a month from my initial application. When I talked to the officer he said that I have to go through the background check which I thought was done BEFORE you get conditionally approved. So I am confused. He took my certified court doc and scanned it. He said that my application would be deferred to a supervisor for review which could take about a month.

So I am confused, in order to get conditionally approved wouldn't they run all the checks and my arrest would have come up, they even say in your interview appointment letter to bring court doc's no matter how old and outcome of your case. So why would I have to go now through background check. But then he took my fingerprints, photo and he even gave me a welcome brochure with my KTN but said it won't be valid until approved. All types of mixed messages.

Anyone has any feedback?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
IMO, there was no record of the incident in their databases, but since you brought your docs they have to (?) consider it and that requires a manual review. Just my guess, though.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
IMO, there was no record of the incident in their databases, but since you brought your docs they have to (?) consider it and that requires a manual review. Just my guess, though.
Hmm, you might be on to something. Because the officer asked me if they took finger prints and everything like if it was a real arrest. But the weirdest thing is that I had to bring it when I received was getting my green card (I am a german citizen just been living in the states all my life). So it came up there but not here. Maybe they didn't check well enough. I guess I just have to wait and see. At least I should get points for honesty lol
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by SDM44
Here's my timeline so far with GE.

7/3 - I applied for GE
7/5 - My wife and 2 kids applied for GE
7/13 - My wife and 2 kids received their conditional approval
9/3 - I received my conditional approval
9/21 - We all had our interviews at the same time, at the LAX location. My wife & kids received their official approval emails and KTN's a couple of hours later.
9/27 - My wife and 2 kids received their GE cards in the mail, only 6 days (4 business days) after the interview.

I'm most likely going to be disqualified, per what I wrote in the conviction/expungement thread, but I'll see what happens.

Between 7/3 and 9/3, I applied for TSA PreCheck, made my appointment, got the approval a couple of weeks later and my KTN, and received the official letter in the mail a week after that. Fortunately I fly domestic about 95% more than I do international, but at least if we go on family vacations abroad, they'll get through customs faster while it'll just be me waiting in line.

UPDATE:

10/15 - CBP Agent I interviewed with finally got back to me saying to submit certified court docs of my expungement.
10/16 - Received actual certified courts and sent them to the CBP Agent. The agent said they would forward everything to the vetting center.
11/30 - Just received an update on my application status.... Denied.

There's no explanation anywhere on the website that goes into detail, but it's pretty obvious what I was denied for. The CBP Agent told me during my interview that if you ever have any type of felony record against you, that will automatically disqualify you for GE. The agent also said that GE doesn't consider expungements, but told me if I had the original court docs, that I can try to submit them and see what happens. Ultimately the agent was right with my outcome.

Oh well, looks like my wife & kids are set to fly through US CBP every time we fly internationally, and I'll be waiting in line to see a customs agent.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by SDM44
Oh well, looks like my wife & kids are set to fly through US CBP every time we fly internationally, and I'll be waiting in line to see a customs agent.
If you are qualified and available at your arriving airport, you can always use mobile passport app.: https://mobilepassport.us/. It has been reported that sometimes mobile passport is faster than Global Entry.
Mrsbrightside2 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From another thread:

Originally Posted by thonati
I would like to share my experience with Global Entry. In 2005 I was arrested for DUI, paid fine, took alcohol class, case closed. In 2009, I was arrested for domestic violence. I took anger management, probation for 1 year, no issues, case DISMISSED. The case was removed from my record. My attorney told me "its like it never happened to anyone who asks".

I put BOTH on my application and explained the DV situation (it was against my drunken daughter). I was conditionally approved and at the interview, the officer told me that I needed to provide court paperwork to show both cases were closed. I left the interview, went straight to the court house, paid $2 per page (rip-off) and returned to the CBP officer. He reviewed my court papers and my approval showed up in my on-line account when I returned home (15 minutes).

I was able to "peek" at his screen. There is cooperating software with the FBI. Every time someone is arrested AND fingerprinted, the finger prints are sent to the FBI for comparison; this is what CBP is looking at. So my DV case in 2009 only shows that I was arrested. There was no court data, no charges: NOTHING. Only the fact that I was arrested. I told him that my attorney advised me NOT to put this on the form because the case was dismissed. However, I did put it on the form and told him what my attorney said. He thanked me for my honesty (I think that helped, but not sure). The application does not ask for entry into Canada. I live on a border town and many locals from both sides cross the border often; sometimes daily. He asked me when the last time I was in Canada. I had to think about it and I told him I need a second to think. I then remembered a 5 minute excursion across the border to get a case of that good 5% alcohol (Molson Candian) for a large, family BBQ. I had forgot all about it. So I hesitated and spoke out loud, "When was the last time I went into Canada? Hmmm, did I go in the last 5 years? Hmmm, I think I remember going over in the summer of 2016 or 2015 but other than that, I dont remember but I suppose it is possible." He smiled and said, "Yup, summer of 2016 is correct". That was a curve-ball.

The officer said he needed to see the court documents that showed two (2) important data points. 1. The charges; clear and concise and 2. The disposition showing the case is closed. I suspect any charges related to terrorism, smuggling (goods or people), or any other border infraction; would lead to a denial.

One more item that he said. He gave me the paperwork back and told me, "I approved you. You will hear something by tomorrow if you are approved, denied or requested to provide more information" This leads me to believe there is a secondary approval from the FBI after the CBP Officer enters all the information. Why would he say "I approved you" but there could be a denial? So the CBP does NOT have the final word.

So you need to be prepared to provide all court documents for every, single arrest. This includes juvenile arrests if you were fingerprinted. I was arrested (legally detained) as a juvenile but was released to my parents when I was 16. No charges, no fingerprints, no record. That did NOT show up on the CBP review.

Good luck to all. Remember: TELL THE TRUTH. They know the answers to the questions before they ask you. Do not try to be coy or tell them what you think they want to hear. Any conviction within the past 5 years; is likely a denial. Any conviction for smuggling, terrorism etc is denial. Other convictions between 5~10 years is questionable and those convictions more than 10 years will not be automatic denial. The interview is very important for these situations.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

Exclamation Concerns I'll get Denied

I am a US citizen applying for global entry. In 2014 I was arrested for misdimeanor theft (shop lifting) at the age of 24 (stupid i know). I was not convicted because I completed community service in an Adult Diversion Program. I can't find any records in my county and state of the incident, but i am sure there is still something out there that they will find during their background check. I am planning to answer No to having ever been convicted of a crime, but in the follow up question where it asks if you've every been arrested i plan to say yes and give the year and say that i was not convicted. Because this incident was within the last 10 years, what are the odds that i will be approved? I don't want to go through the hassel of paying the fee and traveling to have the interview if i will ultimately be denied - looking for any insight ya'll can provide!

** I should also note, that applied and was APPROVED for TSA Pre-Check after this incident occured and was resolved. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Last edited by LenaRae; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LenaRae
I am a US citizen applying for global entry. In 2014 I was arrested for misdimeanor theft (shop lifting) at the age of 24 (stupid i know). I was not convicted because I completed community service in an Adult Diversion Program. I can't find any records in my county and state of the incident, but i am sure there is still something out there that they will find during their background check. I am planning to answer No to having ever been convicted of a crime, but in the follow up question where it asks if you've every been arrested i plan to say yes and give the year and say that i was not convicted. Because this incident was within the last 10 years, what are the odds that i will be approved? I don't want to go through the hassel of paying the fee and traveling to have the interview if i will ultimately be denied - looking for any insight ya'll can provide!

** I should also note, that applied and was APPROVED for TSA Pre-Check after this incident occured and was resolved. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Honesty is absolutely the best policy so you’re correct you have to answer yes to any arrest. How they will look at the community service in lieu of conviction I can’t say. Reading through the numerous posts on the approval process is a bit of a fog as reports of approval or denial seem to be inconsistent. Some folks appear to be approved with what would seem to be potentially significant issues while others are turned down for what seem like minor issues. Probably goes back to the honesty issue but not sure. Approval for TSA PreCheck doesn’t mean a whole lot since the qualification bar is much higher.
mbluetyphoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.