Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by trisurf
I applied for GE primarily because I lived in the states and also felt I was probably going to be denied by Nexus. Upon renewal I will probably only renew Nexus since you're right it includes GE.
The program you are approved for last, or apply to renew, will effectively cancel out your membership in the other program.

See these two threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...e-renewed.html

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

So hopefully your Nexus was approved after your Global Entry, so you've still retained your fast entry into Canada benefits.

Likewise, if you apply to renew your Global Entry first, you will no longer see an option to renew your Nexus, and would need to do a full, fresh application for it.

By the way, when you say your dismissal was in 'CA', do you mean California or Canada? That could make a difference in how it was perceived.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:00 pm

Ah yes I had planned not to renew GE and yes my conviction was in California not Canada. Thanks for the info..
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by trisurf
I was approved for both GE and Nexus with a 2014 DUI and 2017 dismissal in CA. The general consensus is automatic denial if it has been less than 10 years since the completion of probation payment of fines etc but in my GE interview I was told that “1 is allowed with discretion". I suspect that I was conditionally approved as a result of the dismissal and in the interview I disclosed my arrest and conviction. After spending hours researching this and going through both GE and Nexus interviews the answer is yes to convictions on the GE application. The answer on the Nexus application I believe to be no since it is qualified by pardon language. The GE interview was a breeze as well as the Canadian side of Nexus in contrast to what I thought to be the case. I already possessed GE and thought the US side would be easy but it was not. I was ultimately approved by Nexus and looking back at both interviews there was quite a bit of discretionary language used. In other words I do not believe there to me automatic denial with a single conviction. Secondlly if you are granted the interview have proof of dismissal and answer all questions honesty as the border patrol agents have the answers already and can use their discretion to deny or approve.
Welcome to FT. Assuming you are qualified to receive a Global Entry and a NEXUS card, make sure you
  • Only activate NEXUS card
  • If you activate Global Entry Card after you have already activated your NEXUS card, your NEXUS Card would be deactivated.
  • Option to renew NEXUS would be removed from your account
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:50 pm

I activated GE and am now waiting for Nexus. I gathering from the thread that GE will be canceled upon activation of the Nexus card and that I will renew that.

Thanks everyone.
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:05 pm

So today was my fourth visit on GE, had the X for the past 3 times and today I went straight through. No problems or hassle l.

on my last visit to ATL the CBP officer wrote an email to the relevant person to have my demotion removed. It was successful.

i know have my life back

thank you to everyone on here, my attorney and the friendly CBP officers, I know our only doing your job protecting your country. Even the it’s been hassle I have always been treated with respect.

cheers
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by wallop
<snip>
on my last visit to ATL the CBP officer wrote an email to the relevant person to have my demotion removed. It was successful. <snip>
Regarding the CBP officer who wrote the email, a few questions for the benefit of future readers:

- Was it an officer in the immigration booth at the airport or did you walk over to the Global Entry office to find an officer to do it?

- Did you need to use the magic words 'flag demotion' or did the officer already understand what you needed and what she/he should write?

- Did the officer give you an idea of who the 'relevant person' was to demote the flag, or where they are located?

Congrats on making it through the process.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:53 pm

It was in the secondary inspection where the officer wrote the email, he said it might or might not work and didn’t tell me who the recipient was.
maybe it was just luck as this is the 4th time I have enetered the states with GE and as I’m aware the demotion gets automatically removed on the third visit.

Its amazing because most officers said that that I will be coming to secondary every time I enter the states and now it’s stop, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:42 am

There's some great advice in this thread - and I greatly appreciate the posts here - as an example, Often1 post #93 .

Regarding these past incidents, there was for me the temptation to just "let sleeping dogs lie," i.e. "it's so long ago, why bring it up?" I just decided to "own it." I was worried about having to come back (3 hr drive one way "was the paperwork I had sufficient?"). But I felt it was best to just lay it all out there (if asked - and be short and to the point) and if I had to come back, I would come back. Again Often1's post was very helpful.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Global Entry
No Records Or Proof Requested

I was approved for Global Entry with a very old arrest on my record involving a deferred adjudication felony.

The agent asked "What happened on x date?" I answered honestly and concisely. He replied "So no other problems since then?" I said, "None whatsoever...It was a mistake made in my youth." And he approved me.

I didn't have any paperwork with me and had decided to just give it a shot at the airport coming in from a flight abroad (I had received my conditional approval some time ago). He was very kind and explained that, due to the old arrest, I would most likely always get the "X" on my passport kiosk slip. He said "It won't be a big deal, but you'll probably always get the "X" and will have to briefly speak with an agent rather than walk right through."

It seems like a reasonable price to pay for a mistake made long ago. I'm thrilled to have been approved and to have been treated with such kindness and courtesy at the interview.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:29 am

Still waiting

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. The first try did not appear to work.

I have a dismissed misdemeanor arrest from 1994. Since the arrest question on the application is listed as “optional,” I did not disclose my arrest. It’s more than 10 years old, was only a misdemeanor, and was dismissed. My record is otherwise clean, and I’m a US citizen. However, I applied two weeks ago and I’m still waiting for conditional approval. A few friends of mine applied at the same time and were quickly approved. Could this old arrest be holding things up? If so, why?

If it’s not this ancient arrest, I’m afraid my application could have accidentally fallen into some kind black hole. In reading this thread and the wait time thread, it seems like people get conditionally approved faster than two weeks. Is there any way to contact the powers that be to make sure my application is not lost in the system? We leave June 15 for overseas and I’m freaking out. My husband already has GE but won’t want to use it if I don’t have it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Nothing you can do to speed up the process. There does seem to be more variability in review time now

Also, be sure to bring in court files confirming the final disposition for your interview as sometimes that information is not updated into NCIC correctly.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Nothing you can do to speed up the process. There does seem to be more variability in review time now

Also, be sure to bring in court files confirming the final disposition for your interview as sometimes that information is not updated into NCIC correctly.

Since the arrest is so old - long past the stated period of concern of 10 years - will I really need to bring proof of anything? Will they care about a 24 year old event one way or the other?

Just curious because getting records this old is kind of a tedious process. I also worry that the court is going to tell me they can’t find the records. I paid for one of those online searches of criminal record for my state and it didn’t turn anything up. I tried to look up the case on the municipal court website and no dice. Clearly the digital footprint of this 1994 hiccup is non-existent. Some poor schmuck is going to have to go digging through some boxes in basement somewhere. I wonder if the age of this affects the federal record as well. How hard will it be for anyone doing a search at the federal level to find this and will they be looking that hard?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Gunkabean
Will they care about a 24 year old event one way or the other?
Hard to tell without additional information.

What was the nature of the charge? Was it an offense that involved dishonesty or considered to be one of moral turpitude?
Did you have to go to court?
Was a case filed?
Was the case dismissed after completion of a diversion or a deferred entry of judgement program?
Were you placed on probation?
Old May 31, 2018, 10:46 pm

Man. I wish I had found this page before I applied.

So while filling out the the application it asked about convictions for non driving related offenses, I said no. Only thing on my record is driving after revocation, which was ultimately dropped down to operating a vehicle without carrying a license. The thing I didn't include was that I was arrested a couple of times for missing a mandatory court date on that same case, but I thought since it was driving related they weren't looking for that. Totally my fault because I didn't really read up much before the application process. The original charge was in 2003, but it wasn't finalized until early 2009.

Got my conditional approval, but was half expecting a denial right from the start, after reading a few things after already submitting my application. I had my interview yesterday. First question he asked, after my full name and for my passport, was if I had ever been arrested. I said yes and he pointed out that on my application I said no, I explained my thoughts about the driving thing. He asked specifics of it, I told him what had happened and he typed it all into his computer. Took my picture and prints then handed me a card saying that I had 30 days to send a letter of disposition to an email address in within 30 days.

The guy basically gave me no other info, and honestly I forgot to ask. Anybody else been through this email process? He had a giant stack of the cards, and I'm pretty sure the guy before me walked out with one too, so it must be a frequent thing. I had to drive an hour and a half to get there, because I tried setting my appoint date in my city to first available all the way to "need by" DEC 31 2019 and the calendar came back saying nothing available in my city, so I don't know if they just aren't doing interviews there anymore or what. If I don't get denied will I have to go back for another interview after sending this email?

Truth be told that if I knew before having to submit and pay that there were no appointments in my city and the next closest office was 95 miles away, I would have just stuck the TSAPre, because that has appts available in my city and I'll definitely be using that more than GE. I wish that part of the system was like PRE, it was a bummer to not see any available appts until after they had my non refundable money.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:49 pm

Global Entry - Arrest/Documentation Question

Hello!
My husband and I are in the process of applying for Global Entry. While filling out his application, I saw that it asked him if he had ever been arrested. This was not a problem for him, but I had 2 incidents 20 years ago. I was around 19 or 20 when both occurred. I had an Underage Drinking, which we were taken to the police department where our parents had to pick us up. They told us we weren't 'being arrested', but they couldn't let us drive. I would imagine that was just them being nice, and we were actually technically arrested. I remember going to a magistrate at some point afterwards. We did not lose our license. I can not remember if we had to take any sort of classes. The other incident was that I had a Disorderly Conduct within the same year. We were at a party, and the police said they were just taking our names and addresses. They had our information, and someone said we could go. We went back to our apartment, and later the police showed up and said we should not have left. They said they were giving us a disorderly conduct for leaving/hiding from the law. We weren't, but that was our fault for listening to someone and not asking them if we could leave.

The problem being that I was asked this same question a couple years ago when applying for a professional license in another state. It also said that you would need to provide documentation should you answer yes. I do not have that documentation. I paid to do an online search to see if I could get it and nothing came up. I think it was through the police department or something? I then called both magistrates offices to try to obtain the information and necessary documentation. They said they have no record of it and nothing to give me. Both places said that I could answer no, because there was no record of it and I would not be able to give them anything. I was not 100% sure what magistrate I went to for the underage (but was fairly certain), so I called others in that area to check as well.

Do I answer yes, state what happened, and that I have no way to obtain documentation? Would I need to divulge the disorderly conduct even though we were not arrested? They wrote us up at our apartment. I am obviously clueless with this stuff. It was 20 years ago, so I don't remember all the details. Is there another way that I can try to get the information?

I would love to thank my 19 year old self for this mess lol! Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.