Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for or Renewing Global Entry with Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions

Applying for or Renewing Global Entry with Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions

Old Apr 20, 17, 6:03 am
  #106  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Posts: 1,887
Can someone give advice about where to start looking for paperwork in a state/county (specifically Colorado, if possible)? I live outside of the US, so a trip to the courthouse isn't really in the cards.

Last edited by zpaul; Jul 12, 17 at 4:28 pm
zpaul is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:54 am
  #107  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 17,001
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
Can someone give advice about where to start looking for paperwork in a state/county (specifically Colorado, if possible)? I live outside of the US, so a trip to the courthouse isn't really in the cards.
From the Colorado Judicial Branch website:
Courts Records Search

<snip>

For specific information related to a particular case, you must visit or contact the court in which the action was filed, or visit a commercial site that allows users to search a real time register of actions of state court records on the Internet. Copies of documents are not available from any of the commercial sites and may only be obtained by contacting the individual court where the documents were filed. A register of actions available on commercial sites include civil, civil water, small claims, domestic, felony, misdemeanor, and traffic cases.

Records can be accessed by name or case number through www.cocourts.com, and Background Information Services, Inc. There are charges for all of these services. Please contact a vendor for information.

<snip>

Contact information for District court case information is available at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Contact/District.cfm

Contact information for County court case information is available at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Contact/County.cfm
TWA884 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 11:05 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Posts: 1,887
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
From the Colorado Judicial Branch website:
Thank you! I overcomplicated it in my mind.
zpaul is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:38 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 39
Data point for those with misdemeanors applying for global entry.

I have a misdemeanor that was dismissed from over 10 years ago. I was just approved for Global Entry.

I brought my certified court documents. Agent asked if I had ever been arrested, I said yes. He looked surprised (as if it wasn't in his system). I provided him my case dismissal papers. I did not give any story or reasons. He scanned the documents. That was it.

Other questions asked: "Have I traveled internationally in the past 5 years and why", if my address was current, and my employers name.

Out the door in 5 minutes or less and approved.
temporarilypoor is offline  
Old Jul 15, 17, 4:07 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Data point also -

Have an expunged felony arrest (nolle pros) from 2005; approved for GOES yesterday. Interviewer didn't even ask about it... asked only:

-how did you hear about GOES?
-confirm DOB/address
-explain recent visit to Colombia

Wish I had done it sooner!
jennifoop is offline  
Old Jul 15, 17, 4:31 pm
  #111  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 17,001
Moderator's Note:

GOES is the acronym for the Global Online Enrollment System and the website which is used to enroll in and update or edit information for all the Trusted Traveler Programs: Global Entry, Flux, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.

To avoid confusion, please use GE, not GOES, as the abbreviation for Global Entry.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 17, 6:51 am
  #112  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,454
I'll add a data point recently related to me by a friend who just received his GE approval. In the interview he was asked if he had ever been arrested, to which he said 'no'. It occurred to him later that he probably was arrested in the late 1990s in California on a DUI or DWI (whichever is the lesser). I think the outcome was that he never went to court (lived in Canada) and was given a fine and some driver retraining. His GE was approved on the same day as his visit.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:33 am
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 300
So I am not sure if this is the right place to post this here but here I go-

I was already approved for GE and had it for a a year or two, but in 2015 I was arrested for DUI and drug possession. Luckily I was able to get both charges dismissed in 2016.
I was coming back from BKK in 2016 and received the X, I went to the station and officer asked me how long I had GE I said a few years and then asked me if I had been arrested. I said yes, but both cases were dismissed so he lets me thru.

Just recently I was returning from NRT and the same thing happened. I was in line and told the officer the same thing this time he takes me to the side room for questioning. I explain to the officer I had two cases and they are expunged. I even had a photo of the court approved expungement. She says GO will be in contact with me and lets me on my way.

My question is should I try to get this sorted and call GE or just wait this out?
snugglening is offline  
Old Jul 27, 17, 5:19 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: LAS/GRU/DUB
Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
So I am not sure if this is the right place to post this here but here I go-

I was already approved for GE and had it for a a year or two, but in 2015 I was arrested for DUI and drug possession. Luckily I was able to get both charges dismissed in 2016.
I was coming back from BKK in 2016 and received the X, I went to the station and officer asked me how long I had GE I said a few years and then asked me if I had been arrested. I said yes, but both cases were dismissed so he lets me thru.

Just recently I was returning from NRT and the same thing happened. I was in line and told the officer the same thing this time he takes me to the side room for questioning. I explain to the officer I had two cases and they are expunged. I even had a photo of the court approved expungement. She says GO will be in contact with me and lets me on my way.

My question is should I try to get this sorted and call GE or just wait this out?
My honest opinion is that in addition to your court-approved expungement, you should contact your state repository and have them remove the record from NCIC. That way, you will not have this problem anymore. State court expungement is not effective when dealing with Federal government but a letter of compliance from a state repository certifies removal of your record from the federal database, meaning CBP would not see it.
greglvnv is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 7:43 pm
  #115  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,757
Originally Posted by greglvnv View Post
My honest opinion is that in addition to your court-approved expungement, you should contact your state repository and have them remove the record from NCIC. That way, you will not have this problem anymore. State court expungement is not effective when dealing with Federal government but a letter of compliance from a state repository certifies removal of your record from the federal database, meaning CBP would not see it.
The fact is OP was arrested. The fact wasn't foind guilty or a state court expungement doesnt change that. At least as far as the feds go, it's part of his record.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 8:57 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: LAS/GRU/DUB
Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
The fact is OP was arrested. The fact wasn't foind guilty or a state court expungement doesnt change that. At least as far as the feds go, it's part of his record.
It is part of the record but the state repository can apply to the Feds to have that record removed regardless.
greglvnv is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 9:46 pm
  #117  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 17,001
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
The fact is OP was arrested. The fact wasn't foind guilty or a state court expungement doesnt change that. At least as far as the feds go, it's part of his record.
It's not clear the the OP was not found guilty. There are dismissals after convictions when the defendant successfully completed his or her grant of probation.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 10:01 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ(RIP) Freccia Alata+, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,345
Originally Posted by greglvnv View Post
It is part of the record but the state repository can apply to the Feds to have that record removed regardless.
They will still see it. One of my employees, PRestor John, posts on here and was wrongfully arrested back in August. charges withdrawn and judge ordered expunged all the way up to the FBI. CBP still sees it every time he goes through and he gets the X. At IAH they always let him through quickly with the X, at PHL last week they told him it is automatic secondary for those Xs at their airport. I had to wait outside but he mentioned they said they could only see the arrest as it was already in their records but not what it was and that it was all expunged. They let him go quickly but mentioned there are only a small handful of people at CBP in DC who can change a GE status after the fact like this to make the X go away. I would presume Snugg will get the X all the time for now.

I'll ask PJ to post more of his info.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jul 29, 17, 12:31 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: LAS/GRU/DUB
Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
They will still see it. One of my employees, PRestor John, posts on here and was wrongfully arrested back in August. charges withdrawn and judge ordered expunged all the way up to the FBI. CBP still sees it every time he goes through and he gets the X. At IAH they always let him through quickly with the X, at PHL last week they told him it is automatic secondary for those Xs at their airport. I had to wait outside but he mentioned they said they could only see the arrest as it was already in their records but not what it was and that it was all expunged. They let him go quickly but mentioned there are only a small handful of people at CBP in DC who can change a GE status after the fact like this to make the X go away. I would presume Snugg will get the X all the time for now.

I'll ask PJ to post more of his info.
I am speaking from my own experience. I don't know if a county judge has any power to order FBI to remove the arrest record but what I know is that I personally obtained a new citizenship, got approved for Nexus and became an FBI contractor after disclosing a conviction record that was confirmed removed from NCIC by a letter from the state repository. None of the DHS, CBP, CBSA or FBI officials I came into contact with were able to locate the record. I never got an X either.
greglvnv is offline  
Old Aug 4, 17, 12:15 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
It's not clear the the OP was not found guilty. There are dismissals after convictions when the defendant successfully completed his or her grant of probation.
I was not found guilty but was give Diversion program were I plead guilty but it is held in abatement and if I complete the court ordered obligations the case is dismissed which makes you correct that I completed my probation.

I just talked to a TSA person and told him about my situation and he was a typical jerk. He said I needed to get the official records of my expungement right away to the office or my GE would be revoked. Funny thing was I was arrested in 2015 and used my GE twice (I got the X both times), but nothing was ever mentioned to me about it being revoked.

I am on the fence with giving them my records of expungement so they can put in the system cause i actually fear that when I do submit them with my luck they will revoke it.

What do you folks think I should submit it now and believe the system will work in my favor and they will clear the X?
snugglening is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread