Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:42 pm

Gave GE interviewer requested additional info but no response thus far?

I went to my GE interview where I was asked if I've been arrested before. I replied that I have and that it was for a drug possession charge that was shortly dropped.

The interviewer then ran my info through his computer and he confirmed that nothing shows up but requested that I scan and email information that shows the disposition of the arrest before he can proceed with my application.

I did so immediately after returning home. However, I've yet to hear from them nor have I received confirmation of the email I sent. I tried calling multiple times but no one answers the number provided online.

What are my options? It's been 2 weeks since the interview.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:39 am

All you can do is wait. I was in the same position as you. Different type of cases. It took 6 weeks for me to get approve after my interview.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:35 pm

Did you try contacting them before your approval?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It could take 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months or a year. There is no formula. Could be that they are backed up, that the analyst assigned to review your paperwork left on vacation. Could be that they are looking more closely (remember, just because the charge was dismissed does not mean that CBP won't use the underlying facts).

Short answer: Nothing you can do to speed this up, so don't do anything.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo
I went to my GE interview where I was asked if I've been arrested before. I replied that I have and that it was for a drug possession charge that was shortly dropped.

The interviewer then ran my info through his computer and he confirmed that nothing shows up but requested that I scan and email information that shows the disposition of the arrest before he can proceed with my application.

I did so immediately after returning home. However, I've yet to hear from them nor have I received confirmation of the email I sent. I tried calling multiple times but no one answers the number provided online.

What are my options? It's been 2 weeks since the interview.
Call the office and ask to speak to the interviewer. The same thing happened in my situation, in which case I had to provide the dismissal disposition and even provided a Declaration of Innocence order issued by a judge, thus removing any doubt of guilt. However, it only took him a day or two to respond and he urged me to follow up with him if I didn't hear back by then. It's up to him directly to approve it in the system.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:41 am

When I applied they told me ten days. Roughly about the time I was checking in for my flight I hadn't heard anything but I went to the TSA site and looked up my name and found I had a KT number issued. So I put that in my profile on the airline website and sure enough I got precheck boarding passes.

The letter arrived about two weeks later. Obviously there's quite a lag in the notification from the time they decide and issue the #.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: HGP Diamond, HH Gold, BAEC, AA
Dismissed arrest paperwork required but still received approval?

Had my GE interview today and an arrest I had for driving on a suspended license came up. This didn't even cross my mind since it was all cleared immediately (state didn't process dismissed speeding ticket properly causing the suspension) and I've never seen it on any public records until today. The officer just said to get paperwork from the county court and fax it over to get approval and was super friendly about it. However I received the email that my GE app was approved five minutes after I left the office...?

I still plan to get the required paperwork but is this normal procedure in this case? Couldn't find an answer in similar threads.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you've already been approved, I wouldn't worry about it. He may have found what he needed after you left the interview.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyingron
The letter arrived about two weeks later. Obviously there's quite a lag in the notification from the time they decide and issue the #.
Actually the time can vary significantly. I actually didn't get out of my seat at the interview. The agent told me I'd been approved and circled the number on my conditional approval notification and said it was my new KTN and I could start using it immediately. In fact I got the email approval notice while I was walking back to my SUV. My GE card arrived exactly a week later. A few weeks later my wife went for her interview at the same office with the same agent. Her approval took four days. No card yet but her approval was only last Thursday so maybe it will arrive later this week. Point is your time may vary for all sorts of reasons from a slow system to potentially something questionable in your background.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:29 am

global entry interview

I was arrested in 2009, but I was admitted to the ARD program (a program in Pennsylvania for first-time offenders of minor crimes). I was on the program for a year, I followed all the rules, and my record was successfully expunged. My lawyer and the arresting officer told me after the program is completed, my record is clear and it will “appear as if the crime never happened”. ARD is NOT a conviction, so I was able to answer "no" truthfully on the online application. ARD is also called pre-trial diversion, so it never went to trial. I was told, that after successful completion and expunging, the only one who has access to this record is the District Attorney.

But as I found on the internet, one of the interview questions is “have you ever been arrested”. Hmm I’m not not sure if this “the crime never happened” would still apply in this case. Any suggestions?

I was conditionally approved for the global entry online application, and my interview is on May 30, 2016.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I would be honest as not disclosing can lead to them denying you and even revoking if they find out after. You can disclose you have been arrested and your record was expunged with no trail. That kind of action by the DA & Courts happens quite often.

Originally Posted by kasage00
I was arrested in 2009, but I was admitted to the ARD program (a program in Pennsylvania for first-time offenders of minor crimes). I was on the program for a year, I followed all the rules, and my record was successfully expunged. My lawyer and the arresting officer told me after the program is completed, my record is clear and it will “appear as if the crime never happened”. ARD is NOT a conviction, so I was able to answer "no" truthfully on the online application. ARD is also called pre-trial diversion, so it never went to trial. I was told, that after successful completion and expunging, the only one who has access to this record is the District Attorney.

But as I found on the internet, one of the interview questions is “have you ever been arrested”. Hmm I’m not not sure if this “the crime never happened” would still apply in this case. Any suggestions?

I was conditionally approved for the global entry online application, and my interview is on May 30, 2016.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I would be honest as not disclosing can lead to them denying you and even revoking if they find out after. You can disclose you have been arrested and your record was expunged with no trail. That kind of action by the DA & Courts happens quite often.
This is what I gathered when speaking with the agent. Disclose anything within 10 years. I had an arrest dismissed 9.5 years ago and he said their main concern is you actually being able to prove it was dismissed if the system pulls it up and denies you due to it not being documented correctly. Mine pulled up dismissed as expected and I was approved and out the door.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:18 pm

Thank you everyone for all the useful information.

Just got my conditional approval and scheduled the interview for this Friday.

I know if you have a conviction, you are ineligible. I got arrested in 2009 (I was 19 and under age in a bar) but I was not convicted. I did deferred disposition (alcohol awareness class and community service) and the local community court has since shredded all documents and has no records or any information. BUT the local police department still has documents about the arrest.

I see that one of the questions is if I have ever been arrested. I will answer honestly but even though I was not convicted, is there a possibility the agent might reject my application? Would taking any supporting documents (like a statement from the court saying that they have no records of the outcome since they have been destroyed) help?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Thank you everyone for all the useful information.

Just got my conditional approval and scheduled the interview for this Friday.

I know if you have a conviction, you are ineligible. I got arrested in 2009 (I was 19 and under age in a bar) but I was not convicted. I did deferred disposition (alcohol awareness class and community service) and the local community court has since shredded all documents and has no records or any information. BUT the local police department still has documents about the arrest.

I see that one of the questions is if I have ever been arrested. I will answer honestly but even though I was not convicted, is there a possibility the agent might reject my application? Would taking any supporting documents (like a statement from the court saying that they have no records of the outcome since they have been destroyed) help?
From the discussion I have seen, tell the agent about the arrest, own up to the arrest and tell them how you were wrong and young and dumb. Tell them about the deferred disposition with community service and alcohol treatment. You might have to show that the charges have been expunged, not sure but at minimum tell them about the deferred disposisiton. THey likely already know about this charge and being VERY honest and forthwright will help your case. While downplaying the charges, trying to minimize them, etc. will hurt you.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8
From the discussion I have seen, tell the agent about the arrest, own up to the arrest and tell them how you were wrong and young and dumb. Tell them about the deferred disposition with community service and alcohol treatment. You might have to show that the charges have been expunged, not sure but at minimum tell them about the deferred disposisiton. THey likely already know about this charge and being VERY honest and forthwright will help your case. While downplaying the charges, trying to minimize them, etc. will hurt you.
Yeah I do plan on being honest with them and telling them about the arrest. I looked at all the requirements and I meet them all and have no prior convictions.

I'll swing by the court tomorrow and see if they can type me up a paper stating that the records have been destroyed and I was not convicted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.