Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by giamats
Hello,
I can't find a specific thread for NEXUS with arrests (I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that I'm just having trouble locating it). If there is one, I'm happy to redirect elsewhere.
The only thread that I can find on the topic of a NEXUS application by someone with an arrest record is the following:
The OP has not posted since he/she started that thread.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by chipset
You may want to have a ton of documentation. Simply put, Canada treats drunk driving as a major offense and can (and does) refuse entry to people based upon a drunk driving conviction. That being said, you weren't convicted and only arrested. That's a big plus. But be prepared to present your case as Canada is pretty strict on it.

I don't have any personal experience with Nexus, but just my initial thought on it.
I bet. I have notarized copies of everything and am taking the long wait times as an opportunity to look at the federal record (an idea I got from this forum) and make sure I have all my ducks in order. I'm just hoping I at least get conditional approval to be able to interview.

Thank you!

To Add: I'm looking at the Federal record to confirm that the dismissal is actually properly shown there, as someone have said that they've had issues with that not properly displaying. I'd like to know that before ever walking in the door.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 16, 2020 at 4:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I bet. I have notarized copies of everything and am taking the long wait times as an opportunity to look at the federal record (an idea I got from this forum) and make sure I have all my ducks in order. I'm just hoping I at least get conditional approval to be able to interview.

Thank you!

To Add: I'm looking at the Federal record to confirm that the dismissal is actually properly shown there, as someone have said that they've had issues with that not properly displaying. I'd like to know that before ever walking in the door.
The court dismissal record should suffice. This is what is needed in case the feds don't see any action . Note for the future, even if the state expunged the arrest, the feds will still see it. State expungement has no bearing on feds .
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The court dismissal record should suffice. This is what is needed in case the feds don't see any action . Note for the future, even if the state expunged the arrest, the feds will still see it. State expungement has no bearing on feds .
Oh, alright. I might go to the court house and just shell out for a few notarized copies of the dismissal to have just in case, beyond my NEXUS pass.

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:54 am

QUESTION: I have a notarized copy of the dismissal. I have a copy of my police report. Do you think this will cause a problem with my renewal approval? I didn't want to wait until I could get the arrest record stricken because that will take MONTHS and I know the wait times for approvals are also taking months currently. I can only imagine that I will of course have to explain the situation at an interview and am very prepared to do so, I just want to make sure I'm not flat-out denied because of it, given that it recently happened.
***UPDATE: My NEXUS was conditionally approved!
I applied December 20th I believe? So a month almost to the day. I'm surprised it didn't take as long as some folks - I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that mine is an expired renewal, as opposed to a brand new app.

Here's a quick breakdown:
Renewal Initiated: 12.20.2019
Conditional Approval: 01.21.2020
Interview: 03.15.2020

I will follow up with an update after the interview and let everyone know my outcome, in the event that someone reading lands them self in a similar situation.

Thank you!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:11 pm

Theft conviction 27 yrs ago and expunged

Wondering if any have had a similar experience, my husband was arrested for theft of a car stereo 27 yrs ago when he was 19 yrs old. Plead guilty and convicted of a misdemeanor. In 2012 it was expunged from his record. We both applied for Global entry on 01/20/20 I was conditionally approved on 01/23/20 and his is still pending review. He stated yes on his global entry application about criminal charges and gave an explanation.

My questions are these:

By answering yes is that making the conditional approval take longer?

Has anyone else had a misdemeanor years ago and been granted conditional approval?

I know reading through these forums that conditional approval seems somewhat random and can take many months. I’m just trying to see if he will be denied because of his past or will he still have a chance of being approved.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Minnesota_Nice
Wondering if any have had a similar experience, my husband was arrested for theft of a car stereo 27 yrs ago when he was 19 yrs old. Plead guilty and convicted of a misdemeanor. In 2012 it was expunged from his record. We both applied for Global entry on 01/20/20 I was conditionally approved on 01/23/20 and his is still pending review. He stated yes on his global entry application about criminal charges and gave an explanation.

My questions are these:

Has anyone else had a misdemeanor years ago and been granted conditional approval?

I know reading through these forums that conditional approval seems somewhat random and can take many months. I’m just trying to see if he will be denied because of his past or will he still have a chance of being approved.
He has a chance of being approved. Did you happen to pull his federal rap sheet to see if it was expunged there as well?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
He has a chance of being approved. Did you happen to pull his federal rap sheet to see if it was expunged there as well?
We haven’t done that, we do have the paperwork from the state saying that it was expunged and they forwarded a copy to the FBI.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
We haven’t done that, we do have the paperwork from the state saying that it was expunged and they forwarded a copy to the FBI.
As long as he brings his case disposition paper to the interview, he should be fine. Expungement itself is not relevant to them because the case is still visible until the federal government complies with the state expungement.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:04 pm

Removed

Last edited by HeliMech; Mar 17, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:31 am

My questions are these:

Yes, it could take a little longer. In my case, mine was never expunged (can't for that for federal crimes). I did describe the crime, explained by probation process and completed worked dates. I didn't have any government documentation whatsoever. I think it took about a month for conditional approval. I did the interview and it took about 3 weeks for the card to come in, but I was approved pretty quickly after the interview via email).

To give perspective, I was convicted 25 years ago. I had a single conviction, I plead guilty.

Granted, my GE application was 7 years ago, or so. And when I renewed, I was asked again about this. But the interview process both times was extremely easy. More of a formality than anything to be concerned about. Just be open and honest.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:45 am

You have to answer "yes." (18 USC 1001). Life will be easier if you kept (or can obtain) documentation of the disposition of your convictions.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:04 am

Wondering if it is worth it for me to even apply for GE. Here's my situation:
14 years ago: Arrested.Plea deal made. Convicted of one misdemeanor (Failure to Comply) and two traffic violations (Reckless Op of MV and Ignoring traffic control device). Three misdemeanors dismissed (Drug Paraphernalia, Poss of Marijuana, and Speeding 80 in 55). The traffic violations are not classified as misdemeanors in the dockets.

13 years ago: Guilty of one misdemeanor (public intoxication)

12 years ago: Guilty of two misdemeanors (public intoxication and underage possession of alcohol).

All this between age 18-20. Nothing since other than some minor traffic citations. So in total there are four misdemeanor convictions longer than 10 years ago. No point in dropping $100 for it I assume, or worth it to try if i disclose everything with appropriate court docs?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As noted above, it is not only easier, but close to essential that you track down attested / certified copies of the court docket / judgments for each of these. The biggest hang up to older cases which are not particularly significant is that TSA can''t "see" a final disposition in various databases.

That leads to the risk that there is a warrant, an unpaid fine or whatever.

I would collect everything and then apply. If you are asked about the past at your interview (presuming conditional approval) you can offer the paperwork. If is not an issue, you don't need to offer the paperwork.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greglvnv
A simple speeding ticket is definitely a non-issue.
I also have gotten a speeding ticket for doing more than 15 mph over the limit. Yes, I was stupid to have done that (I was heading to church, of all things).

I had to get a lawyer and my lawyer went to court on the hearing date and got the charges dropped; apparently in the county where I received the ticket, you have one "chit" that you can cash in to get one speeding ticket dropped, without a problem. Mine was dropped due to an equipment malfunction or something. Whatever--but (1) I got a speeding ticket and (2) it was dropped.

Do I need to disclose this speeding ticket that was dropped in the arrests section of the Global Entry application? I believe that I disclosed it in my original application, and I prefer to disclose everything. So I guess I need to disclose it as "Speeding ticket in X County, Y State, but charges dropped"?

(After being run into on the highway a few years later (not my fault- a lady crashed into me), now I don't drive unless I absolutely have to.)

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.