Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:21 am

Hi Pa3lsvt

Many thanks for your reply.

I also clicked NO for the conviction but then a sub box came up and stated I must declare any Arrests, even if they was expunged, I did this.

What i am worried about is my case was only last week and i applied for GE just last night, maybe I should had waited a few months. Any how I will let you guys know the outcome should I get one.

Cheers

Wallop
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by wallop
<snip>
Long shot: If I was accepted would this potentially stop me from going to secondary inspection?

Also, has anyone got any advice on how i could try and get the flag removed from my visa so I could continue to go through immigration as normal? I currently hold a C1/D and B1/B2 visa.
<snip>
@wallop -- you may find this advice from several months ago -- about seeking a 'demotion' of the flag after 3 incidents of secondary screening or the X on your Global Entry kiosk slip (I-94) lasting longer than 6 months -- to be on-point:

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
<snip>

- Challenged the arrest in court and the charges were withdrawn. <snip>
- Applied for NEXUS in 2013 (11 years later) and was asked the "have you ever been arrested" question by both the Canadians and the US--NOTE: This was back when you not only did separate interviews, but did the US interview on the US side of the border... then went through customs to the other side, did your interview on the other side and then went back through customs to return.
- Answered truthfully (as you ALWAYS should) that I'd been arrested ~11 years prior, but it was an illegal arrest and charges had been withdrawn.
- Canadians asked what the nature of the arrest was, and when it didn't fall into the category of a Canadian Felony, they stopped caring.
- US CBP wanted ALL the details. When I told the officer the whole story, when was half laughing at me and half rolling his eyes. I think his exact comment was "That's what you get for visiting XX state. You couldn't pay me to go there!"
- I was approved and received my NEXUS card.
- No problems entering Canada or leaving the country.
- Entering the [United States -- [i]ed.] I kept getting flagged for additional screening (the dreaded X) and having to go to an interview room. In every case I was asked about the arrest, I provided the same answers and was eventually cleared to re-enter the US.
- I kept asking why I was getting flagged and every time, I was told: "It's just random." or "You aren't eligible for Global Entry." (Yes, I'm aware I have NEXUS... but it comes with GE and they kept confusing them.)
- FINALLY, after about 6 months of this... to the point where I was pretty fed up... a very nice secondary screening CBP officer at YYZ told me the following (as close as I can remember): Even though you are eligible for GE based on your never having been convicted, if you are arrested then your fingerprints are in the national database and our access to the database only shows that they were taken, not anything that happened after. Usually, if you were never convicted you will get flagged for secondary screening the first two to three times you use GE, but after that you should not get flagged again except randomly. If you have been flagged more than three times in a row, then you need to apply for a "demotion" to have the flag overridden.
- I called the NEXUS office that had approved me and they had no idea what a "demotion" was. But, I explained the situation and they told me I had to mail my NEXUS card, passport, court certified proof of dismissal, and the full arrest records to them so that they could review the "evidence" and determine what to do. They would not give me a time-frame or an assurance as to when OR EVEN IF I would receive ANY of the documents back. "You'll just have to send them to me and wait and see." She further told me that she could legally refuse to return any of them. Finally, she told me that she had to see the physical originals of all of them before she could decide whether to submit them to Washington DC for review.
- I was unwilling to send all that info--especially my PASSPORT--without any assurance that it would ever be returned. So, I figured that I'd just happily keep my Entering Canada and my PRECheck privileges and not worry about expedited return to the US.
- I was flying through Seattle and my connection had a major delay. On a whim, I walked by the Trusted Traveler office there and there was no wait. I explained everything, including what the CBP agent I had spoken with over the phone had told me. The CBP agent was as <redacted>ing as I was over her demand I send them to her, personally and that I had to send my NEXUS Card, Passport, etc. He told me that "the rules" in "rare" cases like mine where the automated system failed was that a simple fax of the dismissal would suffice.
- He scanned my dismissal letter and electronically uploaded it. Typed a few things and then told me that I shouldn't have the secondary screening problem any more. Total time: ~10 min. Best 10 min I've ever spent because...
- I've used GE probably 30+ times since then and never once been flagged for secondary screening.

My takeaways:
- An arrest is not enough to get you denied GE/NEXUS BUT you have to be up front about it.
- Even after being approved, you may have difficulty re-entering the US. If that happens, after your third reentry... the system is supposed to automatically remove your flag. (I think what happens is that the CBP officers see a synopsis of your explanation given at your interview and they either check "this is what s/he told me" or "gave a different story" box on the computer screen. Assuming your explanation is consistent... as it should be, you're telling the truth!... then after three verifications you get automatically unflaged.)
- Sometimes the automated system doesn't work and to fix it, go in person to a trusted traveler office with certified documentation.

<snip>

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Dec 10, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ask you attorney to obtain for you an attested/certified copy of the dismissal. Depending on the particular court, this may simply be a docket entry or there may be a motion which is granted by the judge.

At a minimum, CBP will want to know that the arrest / charges have been finally disposed of and it may take months, if not forever, for the criminal records system to catch up with you.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Just for the heads up, today I was conditionally accepted for GE. Just need to arrange a interview now.

fobgers crossed
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:53 pm

Had my interview today and was denied.

I had a arrest 7 years ago for a drug possession charge. Completed a diversion program and had the charge dropped. Record was expunged. At interview after taking photo and fingerprints I was asked about history and mentioned I had been arrested. Provided all court certified documentation showing case was dismissed and he took photo copies. A few hours later notified I was denied.

Shame they couldn't have just denied me during the online application phase versus having to drive in and relive a dark moment of my life.

Best of luck to those in similar situation as me waiting for your interview.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear, I got mine in a couple of weeks and has arrested for A&b which was complete nonsense, case was dismissed outright in court.
if you did the diversion program is that stil an admission of guilt (ie conviction)?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:26 pm

The diversion program in my state makes it so you never enter a plea and aren't convicted if you complete the program. I have a feeling drug charges are viewed much differently than other offenses by them.

Kind of wild to think I'm legally able to purchase a hand gun or semi-auto rifle, have all my voting rights, no history on public record, but can't get approved to ensure I won't miss a connecting flight due to customs.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear
after reading this I think I’m likely to get denied as well, having been arrested for assault and battery is viewed differently also.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:35 pm

I'll be rooting for you Wallop. Wishing you good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Denied
Had my interview today and was denied.

I had a arrest 7 years ago for a drug possession charge. Completed a diversion program and had the charge dropped. Record was expunged. At interview after taking photo and fingerprints I was asked about history and mentioned I had been arrested. Provided all court certified documentation showing case was dismissed and he took photo copies. A few hours later notified I was denied.

Shame they couldn't have just denied me during the online application phase versus having to drive in and relive a dark moment of my life.

Best of luck to those in similar situation as me waiting for your interview.
​​​​​​
If I were you, I would wait another 3 years and reply.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Sorry to hear
after reading this I think I’m likely to get denied as well, having been arrested for assault and battery is viewed differently also.
Actually A&B is not as bad in their eyes as drug possession. Also, a dismissal is viewed differently than a diversion program. I believe you have nothing to worry about wallop.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:15 pm

Because I had an argument with my GF I believe it’s considered as domestic A and b which was dismissed before trial! Is it worth me travelling over for my interview because it will be quite expensive for them just to say no to me
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Because I had an argument with my GF I believe it’s considered as domestic A and b which was dismissed before trial! Is it worth me travelling over for my interview because it will be quite expensive for them just to say no to me
You will never know until you try. Make sure you bring all documentation to interview. Be prepared to prove your case.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

Thanks guys..
i have everything l, paperwork, dockets, dismissals, statements, a letter from my attorney and company.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Thanks guys..
i have everything l, paperwork, dockets, dismissals, statements, a letter from my attorney and company.
You just need to prove that it was dismissed. You will not get denied over a dismissed case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.