Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Viajero Confiable Mexico Open to US GE / Global Entry

Old Jan 3, 14, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Has anyone enrolled and gone through the process for Mexico's answer to Global Entry? If you are in the US Global Entry program, you can enroll. I travel frequently to Monterrey and would love it but - to start - it's just MEX, CUN and SJD airports. I'd love to know if the interview is akin to GE or if there is more to the process.

Here is the link.
Old Jan 14, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry, Privium, Clear, Viajero Confiable
The online application is straightforward. Not quite as extensive as the Global Entry application. The usual biographic - name, address, passport, nationality questions are asked. Online application payment is straightforward. You'll be asked for your Global Entry number if you're a US, but not Mexican, citizen. I haven't gone through the face-to-face interview yet, but I will in a month at MEX airport.

Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
Has anyone enrolled and gone through the process for Mexico's answer to Global Entry? If you are in the US Global Entry program, you can enroll. I travel frequently to Monterrey and would love it but - to start - it's just MEX, CUN and SJD airports. I'd love to know if the interview is akin to GE or if there is more to the process.

Here is the link.
Old Jan 17, 14, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Price is currently membership costs MXN 1,372.00 Mexican pesos (roughly USD $104 Jan 17 2014). This seems to be somewhat Beta, with kiosks at:

MEX: T1 and T2
CUN: T2 and T3
SJD: T3 and T4

Link to page "How it works" for instructions (English version).

For foreigners, kiosks will provide the immigration form ensuring their legal status in the country.
It is unclear what this means, as US Citizens visiting Mexico are normally required to fill out two forms, Form FMM ("Tourist Card") and Mexican Customs form - as mentioned in this FT thread: Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa etc.).
Old Jan 20, 14, 11:39 pm

I'll follow up with them at my interview mid-February as I have the same concerns about how membership changes entry-exit processes for non-Mexican members.

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Price is currently membership costs MXN 1,372.00 Mexican pesos (roughly USD $104 Jan 17 2014). This seems to be somewhat Beta, with kiosks at:

MEX: T1 and T2
CUN: T2 and T3
SJD: T3 and T4

Link to page "How it works" for instructions (English version).

It is unclear what this means, as US Citizens visiting Mexico are normally required to fill out two forms, Form FMM ("Tourist Card") and Mexican Customs form - as mentioned in this FT thread: Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa etc.).
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:44 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by El_Viajero View Post
I'll follow up with them at my interview mid-February as I have the same concerns about how membership changes entry-exit processes for non-Mexican members.
Please let us know - I am very interested in this as well.
Old Feb 18, 14, 1:39 am

My Viajero Confiable face-to-face interview at MEX

Just had my face-to-face interview on 17 February 2014. Some background: I have no residency status in Mexico. I'm a U.S. national that resides in the U.S. I have Global Entry membership and travel to Mexico as a tourist.

The interview took place at the INM office just across the hallway from Puerta 9 in the International Arrivals section of Terminal 1 at MEX airport. I believe interviews are also conducted in Terminal 2 of MEX. I signed in and waited to be called by an INM officer. Be sure to bring your passport and invitation letter which INM sends you by e-mail after submitting application and payment and scheduling your appointment online. The 'letter' really appears to be a filled out application, instead of a letter, but that is how INM labeled it.

As soon as I was invited into the interview room, the officer scanned my passport, took scans of all 10 fingers, took photographs of my face and also my eyes to capture iris biometrics.

I was then asked if I was a permanent or temporary resident of Mexico. I replied that I was not. I was then asked how many times I traveled to Mexico. I replied once or twice a year. She then looked a a sheet of paper which was presumably a list of questions she could ask me but apparently none of them applied to my situation. That's it, basically just scans and two questions.

After this was all done, I was told to go back and wait in the lobby and that it would take approximately 10 minutes for her to have the results of my application. During this time I sat in front of a TV which was playing a video about Viajero Confiable with two segments, one in English and one in Spanish. This video seemed to play in a loop, but it described the program as well as the entry process for entering as either a Mexican national (Spanish segment) or as a U.S. national (English segment.) I'm not exactly sure what was done by INM during this 10 minute waiting period. Maybe it was a background check of sorts to make sure my information and/or biometrics did not match up with anyone on a naughty list, but that's just speculation on my part.

After about 10 minutes, the INM officer informed me that I was now enrolled in Viajero Confiable and provided me a letter indicating this, written in Spanish. I then asked her a few questions - Does the machine provide the FMM form? What about the process for customs? What about the exit process. Here's what I've learned so far.

-Mexican and U.S. national Viajero Confiable members go to the Viajero Confiable lane and then to the Viajero Confiable kiosk and have their passport scanned, fingerprints scanned and answer some questions, similar to the process for Global Entry. I'm not sure if there are any plans to incorporate iris scans into the biometric authentication. If not, I'm a bit uncertain as to why INM needs iris photos taken at this point.

-The Viajero Confiable kiosk will spit out an immigration form after the computerized on-screen interview. It's a version of the FMM form that tourist extranjeros fill out on the aircraft before landing in Mexico. I'm not sure of the process for Permanent or Temporary residents of Mexico. If you are one of these, be sure to follow up with INM.

-The Customs form will still need to be filled out manually. Viajero Confiable only expedites immigration clearance on entry, not customs. Customs process is still the same: Hand over your filled out customs form to an officer, then push a button at a kiosk if you have nothing to declare. If you a get green light, you go. If you get a red light, you get searched.

-Viajero Confiable does not expedite exit. You hand over the FMM form to the airline on departure in the same manner as if you had entered without Viajero Confiable.

Is it worth it? I guess time will tell and a lot will depend on the time I have to make connections, how busy the airport is, how well/poorly immigration desks are staffed, and how on-time/late incoming flights into Mexico are.

This is about what I can recall for the time being. I'll update as I recall or find out more. Hopefully others will recall their experiences as they go through the enrollment process.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Sep 17, 14, 4:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by El_Viajero View Post
Just had my face-to-face interview on 17 February 2014. Some background: I have no residency status in Mexico. I'm a U.S. national that resides in the U.S. I have Global Entry membership and travel to Mexico as a tourist.
Thanks for posting the detailed information. I just ran across this thread and thought I'd bump it to see how you rate this program and to see if anyone else might have any additional feedback.

From a quick look, it appears as if Mexico is simply profiting off the GE program by charging $104 and trusting Uncle Sam to have done proper background checks. The Viajero Confiable pre-application took only about 30 seconds to complete.

Regardless, I'm curious if people are using the program and if they think it's worth the $104. I've flown out of both Mexico City and Cancun but never into either of them from abroad, so I don't know what the standard (i.e., non-Viajero Confiable) immigration wait times are upon arrival, etc. Thanks for all feedback.

-The Viajero Confiable kiosk will spit out an immigration form after the computerized on-screen interview. It's a version of the FMM form that tourist extranjeros fill out on the aircraft before landing in Mexico. I'm not sure of the process for Permanent or Temporary residents of Mexico. If you are one of these, be sure to follow up with INM.
According to the Viajero Confiable site, temporary or permanent residents of Mexico are ineligible to apply for the program.
Old Sep 21, 14, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Nobody using this?
Old Sep 22, 14, 4:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
Thanks for posting the detailed information. I just ran across this thread and thought I'd bump it to see how you rate this program and to see if anyone else might have any additional feedback.

From a quick look, it appears as if Mexico is simply profiting off the GE program by charging $104 and trusting Uncle Sam to have done proper background checks. The Viajero Confiable pre-application took only about 30 seconds to complete.

Regardless, I'm curious if people are using the program and if they think it's worth the $104. I've flown out of both Mexico City and Cancun but never into either of them from abroad, so I don't know what the standard (i.e., non-Viajero Confiable) immigration wait times are upon arrival, etc. Thanks for all feedback.

According to the Viajero Confiable site, temporary or permanent residents of Mexico are ineligible to apply for the program.
I am doing this (have applied) but my interview is in Cabo in November? There is NOTHING on their website regarding the status of interviews given Hurricane Odile but it looks like the airport should open back up on a limited basis in about a week. Does anyone know the status of that office and will they open up by November?
Old Nov 17, 15, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska, American
Viajero Confiable (Available for Mexicans and US Global Entry holders)

Has anyone here signed up for the program? is it worth it? I am going to cancun in a few weeks, the application is cheap and does not seem to require much. Any comments about it would be appreciated
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:07 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Here's a thread on the topic. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...ry-mexico.html
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Has anybody applied for this recently? I will be traveling to Mexico (MEX/CUN) a couple of times this year and was checking it out.

The flyer states that the program is free (link). However it looks like the application system is down for maintenance.
Old Jan 31, 18, 4:32 pm

I am looking in to this also, but do not see any type of web page that has an application. All I get is a web page with Viajero Confiable logo ???
Anyone know where I need to look for the online application?

thanks
Dave
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by DaveCFPrez View Post
I am looking in to this also, but do not see any type of web page that has an application. All I get is a web page with Viajero Confiable logo ???
Anyone know where I need to look for the online application?

thanks
Dave
It's apparently in maintenance mode at this point.
Instituto Nacional de Migracion
I'm too lazy (stubborn?) to run it through Google Translate, but says in big letters right below the logo "Estimado usuario por el momento la solicitud se encuentra en mantenimiento lamentamos las molestias" or something like "Esteemed users for the moment the online application is in maintenance, we are sorry for the inconvenience".

I'm curious - it says US Citizens who are members of GE, and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS, but nothing about US citizens who are members of NEXUS. I'd hope that US NEXUS members would count as well.

It's available at three airports so far. Mexico seems to have a huge number of international airports, at least in name. I wonder how much international traffic from US/Canada passes through these three airports? As it doesn't seem to expedite customs, or negate the need for a customs form, I question whether it's worth the cost.
Old Feb 2, 18, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do View Post
...As it doesn't seem to expedite customs, or negate the need for a customs form, I question whether it's worth the cost.
The last couple of times that I arrived at AICM (Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México), customs forms were no longer required. One simply exited the customs hall through green or red lanes. I went through the green lane and was stopped momentarily and asked in Spanish where I was coming from. I hesitated for a minute trying to figure out what the question was. He then repeated it in English. I answered that I came from Los Angeles and that was it.

Passport control, which preceded, was a whole 'nother story. No issues once I got to the counter, but is was at least a couple of hours wait in line to see an immigration officer. It would have been nice to avoid that line.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: