Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Viajero Confiable Mexico Open to US GE / Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viajero Confiable Mexico Open to US GE / Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TWA884
The last couple of times that I arrived at AICM (Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México), customs forms were no longer required. One simply exited the customs hall through green or red lanes. I went through the green lane and was stopped momentarily and asked in Spanish where I was coming from. I hesitated for a minute trying to figure out what the question was. He then repeated it in English. I answered that I came from Los Angeles and that was it.

Passport control, which preceded, was a whole 'nother story. No issues once I got to the counter, but is was at least a couple of hours wait in line to see an immigration officer. It would have been nice to avoid that line.
Yeah. Passport control is where the time savings is. I think we beat the rush a little bit, but we still waited 45 minutes in line. By the time we exited that, it seemed the line was twice as long. And they weren't opening any more lanes. (In contrast, no wait at the VC lanes.)

Didn't look like there was an expedited exit from customs (a la Global Entry). Doesn't really matter, we weren't even stopped on our exit.

This was at MEX.

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
It's apparently in maintenance mode at this point.
Instituto Nacional de Migracion
I'm too lazy (stubborn?) to run it through Google Translate, but says in big letters right below the logo "Estimado usuario por el momento la solicitud se encuentra en mantenimiento lamentamos las molestias" or something like "Esteemed users for the moment the online application is in maintenance, we are sorry for the inconvenience".

I'm curious - it says US Citizens who are members of GE, and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS, but nothing about US citizens who are members of NEXUS. I'd hope that US NEXUS members would count as well.
I assumed that it meant the application page was undergoing maintenance, with the intention of it coming back online. But maybe they are really not planning on accepting new enrollments.

Also, I thought NEXUS/SENTRY enrollment included Global Entry enrollment by default. Similar to how Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI enrollment includes Pre-Check enrollment..

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 2, 2018 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by Aero137
Yeah. Passport control is where the time savings is. I think we beat the rush a little bit, but we still waited 45 minutes in line. By the time we exited that, it seemed the line was twice as long. And they weren't opening any more lanes. (In contrast, no wait at the VC lanes.)

Didn't look like there was an expedited exit from customs (a la Global Entry). Doesn't really matter, we weren't even stopped on our exit.

This was at MEX.

I assumed that it meant the application page was undergoing maintenance, with the intention of it coming back online. But maybe they are really not planning on accepting new enrollments.

Also, I thought NEXUS/SENTRY enrollment included Global Entry enrollment by default. Similar to how Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI enrollment includes Pre-Check enrollment..
NEXUS/SENTRY do include GE, but as I recall, it’s usually phrased as “include GE Benefits”. I can imagine (wrongly, I hope) a bureaucrat somewhere saying “Nope, that’s GE benefits, but it’s NEXUS membership. Next!”

Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:24 am

Yup still nothing on the webpage, this is disappointing!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
So, I got curious -- the Wayback Machine has that the enrollment link was valid on 28 Oct 17, and went to https://solicitudviajeroconfiable.in...election.xhtml, which didn't respond when I checked it just now. The next snapshot in the Wayback Machine is from 27 Dec, when it was pointed to the Under Maintenance page.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

bumping this in hopes someone has some new info?????
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:27 pm

Interesting. Your question prompted me to look, and the page has been updated.

Now, you must not only be a member of GE or Nexus, but you must also be a Permanent Resident of Mexico. This change happened sometime between April and June.
  • the April Wayback capture doesn't have the Permanent Resident language (and still links to the "under maintenance" page)
  • the June capture adds "y resides de manera permanente en México" -- but still links to "under maintenance".
There were several more updates during June and July that still linked to "under maintenance" -- but the currently live page does link to a live application.

If you're a resides de manera permanente en México.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
They were allowing everyone to use those kiosks this morning at MEX T2 as the foreigners line were really long.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by lairdb
Interesting. Your question prompted me to look, and the page has been updated.

Now, you must not only be a member of GE or Nexus, but you must also be a Permanent Resident of Mexico. This change happened sometime between April and June.
  • the April Wayback capture doesn't have the Permanent Resident language (and still links to the "under maintenance" page)
  • the June capture adds "y resides de manera permanente en México" -- but still links to "under maintenance".
There were several more updates during June and July that still linked to "under maintenance" -- but the currently live page does link to a live application.

If you're a resides de manera permanente en México.
I noticed the page has added the drop down menus and I got excited for a bit. Until I figured out you couldn't list "USA" as your place of birth. Then after some reading I saw that it was for residents of Mexico. Damn it!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
How to apply for Viajero Confiable?

Hello,

I am moving to Mexico City this week for work but will be traveling to the US at least once per month. I understand that as a US Global Entry Traveler, I can apply for Viajero Confiable, which to me understanding the GE equivilant in Mexico. I found a link through the TSA website to apply for the program, however I keep getting a 404 website error when I attempt to access. I'm flying to MX later today and will be in the City for the next two weeks; if doing this on a "walk-in" basis a possibility for me? Additionally, will I require any documentation for myself other than my passport and Global Entry ID?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Whenever I get a 404 after clicking on a web link I google it and usually find it that way.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
OMG you guys. This is some baaaaaaaad use of google (both for discovery and for translation). I am gobsmacked that members of this forum would be THIS lazy.

The primary page for VC says very clearly:

Aplicable a ciudadano mexicano o ciudadano estadounidense miembro de Global Entry o ciudadano canadiense miembro de NEXUS o residente permanente en México de nacionalidad estadounidense o canadiense.

This means:

Applicable to
Mexican Citizens
OR
US Citizens (Global Entry)
OR
Canadian Citizens (Nexus)
OR
Canadian/US citizen + Mexican Permanent Resident

The key thing is the "OR" statements between every single item. Just as in English...

For the FAQ: https://www.gob.mx/inm/documentos/pr...jero-confiable
For the Form itself: https://www.inm.gob.mx/viajero-confi...solicitud.html

Not sure what will happen next as they didn't give me an option to pay online...

-G
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by gabrielz
OMG you guys. This is some baaaaaaaad use of google (both for discovery and for translation). I am gobsmacked that members of this forum would be THIS lazy.

The primary page for VC says very clearly:
That's what it said when you made your post (January 2019), but that's not what it said just a few months prior to that. On October 21, 2018, the page read: "Si eres ciudadano mexicano, estadounidense o canadiense (perteneciente a los Programas Global Entry y NEXUS) y resides de manera permanente en México ..." and further down, in the requirements section: "Los candidatos deberán presentar: ... Tarjeta de Residente Permanente en México"

It's great to hear that it's no longer restricted to permanent residents, but nobody was being lazy.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by gabrielz

Not sure what will happen next as they didn't give me an option to pay online...

-G
Same for me. Filled out all the questions and submitted. I remember a message saying to watch for an email, but nothing yet.

Anyone get this webpage to work yet?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:14 pm

Okay, so which do we believe?

The page that says "o residente permanente", or the page that says "y resides de manera permanente"?

https://www.gob.mx/inm/documentos/pr...jero-confiable
vs.
https://www.gob.mx/inm/acciones-y-pr...jero-confiable
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:39 pm

I was told by a fellow traveler:

"We went through the entire process last summer for our November 2018 trip. All the way through getting an email to set the appointment up at the airport. We never followed through because we decided it just wasn’t worth the time because you have to do it at the airport and you can’t do it anytime you want. So basically they set the appointment up for you and the odds of you getting the time that you’re landing at the airport is slim to none"

anyone else get the appointment email? No bueno for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.