Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS/GE and F-1 Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
NEXUS/GE and F-1 Visa

I got my NEXUS membership approved in October and have since used it twice to enter the US, using the GE kiosks at YYZ. Both times I received the X and got sent to secondary.

The first time, the GE kiosk screen asked about class of admission and listed "B-1, B-2, and Other" as the only options. Being on F-1 (student) status, I selected Other. The CBP officer said that was perfectly fine and was just an issue on their end, and I was correct to select Other. He did some stuff in his computer and told me it would be fixed for the next time I use it.

The second time, about a month later, I try the GE kiosk at YYZ once again. This time the option "F-1 Academic Student" does appear, and I select it. Yet I get the dreaded X again! The explanation I heard from the CBP officer left me pretty baffled:

She said "You must have selected "other" on the kiosk screen, because F-1 wasn't an option for you". I told her that it was and that I did select F-1. She didn't seem too convinced, and told me that next time I should just go to one of the regular officers and not use the kiosk. "Tell them you're Global Entry and go through the crew lane, if you want, but the kiosk won't work for you since you're F-1".

I politely nodded and left, since I didn't feel it would be appropriate to question her. However, I'm left with a feeling of "she doesn't know what she's talking about". How can it be that my visa status prevents me from using the kiosks, when the kiosk even lists F-1 as an option? I've also used NEXUS successfully to enter Canada.

I'm traveling to the US next week and would like the process to be smooth - does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I've had the same issue as you. I went to a NEXUS office while in Canada to give them my F-1 information, and they said it would be fine after that, but GE never listed F-1 as an option. I always got sent to passport control, and I've never had an issue with that until just now, when I was sent to secondary and told that I violated the terms of GE/NEXUS by not adding it to my account... Luckily, it wasn't revoked, but the CBP officer was pretty stern.

My plan is to write in, since I have been able to see my student information in GOES since I went to the NEXUS office to add it in. At the very least, I don't appreciate being accused of a violation I did not commit.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Since starting this thread, I've tried using the kiosk another two times, and received the same issue each time. One time the CBP officer who spoke to me tried to fix something in the system, and the other time they just stamped my boarding pass and sent me along without saying anything (but still received the X both times). I also made a visit to the NEXUS office at the airport, where both the US and Canadian officers looked through my profile and said everything should be fine.

From now on, I think I'm just going to go through the regular lane and not try to use the GE kiosk, since it ends up taking longer... I hope someone fixes this sometime in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

After over a year of having NEXUS/GE and traveling increasingly more often, I wanted to give an update on this situation for anyone else who might be facing the same issue.

Since last year, I've stopped seeing the issue with F-1 not appearing as an entry status on the kiosk. There was a period of time where I was able to get through regularly without getting the X, but as of fall 2014 it's back again.

After speaking to a few CBP officers (upon receiving the 'X'), I've been told that the system is specifically configured to flag all F-1's going through the kiosk with an 'X' for a "Document Check". The reason for this? Apparently too many students were going through without their I-20 documentation and were getting caught for this. This has been confirmed to me by at least 3 different agents so it seems like it is the correct explanation. I suppose this means we have no choice but to suffer through it.

My strategy nowadays is to go through the kiosk, collect my receipt, and go directly to the nearest available agent. Do NOT go to secondary! If there is a crew/diplomats lane, use that. Some airports (YYZ Terminal 1 comes to mind) have a separate booth for GE users who have received an X. It seems they are well-aware of the issue with students on GE, and I never get asked any tough questions apart from having to show my I-20.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Can I use nexus to enter the US as an F-1 by land?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

As in the title. Is my passport necessary for a land entry to the US on F-1 status or would my nexus card suffice ?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 1, 2018 at 9:37 am Reason: Restore title after threads were merged
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Nexus will suffice.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Would the Nexus system be smart enough to know that the person is on F-1 instead of just a regular Canadian citizen?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
No it would not, but one of the conditions on NEXUS is that you advise them any time of a change of status, even to changing jobs, etc.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:03 pm

Student F-1 visa / NEXUS

I'm a Canadian citizen who will be studying in the USA on an F-1 visa. I have NEXUS membership. I was told by my school not to use NEXUS or GE to enter the US. Why is that?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I've seen quite a few people use J-1 or F-1 visas to enter the US. The kiosk is unable to admit us because of the I-20/DS-2019 check (and I believe the CBP officer needs to query SEVIS to check our status), so we always get an X - that just means you present your documents and receipt to an immigration officer. However all the travellers I know aren't Canadian. As non-Canadians we have paper Visas, which need to be scanned at a GE office before the kiosk lists the Visa - I don't know how that process works for Canadians since I believe you don't get a paper Visa.

Overall it probably doesn't matter if GOES doesn't know about your Visa, since we have to get processed manually regardless (i.e. the GE kiosk only identifies that we're GE/Nexus members and gives you a receipt to prove it, and you get an X regardless of choosing "Other" or "F-1"/"J-1"), but I'm not in a position to test that theory.

I've only ever used GE at YYZ, but the process there was similar to any US airport: kiosk let me select the Visa, and gives me an X, since YYZ is special you then look for the GE/ABTC/Diplomat lane (usually there are immigration officers closer to the machines in US airports), and a CBP officer processes your entry manually just like anywhere else.

I did end up in secondary once when using GE: that seemed to be a software glitch since the first officer couldn't admit me using their computer - the officers in secondary basically prioritised processing my passport and let me out after a few minutes without asking any questions or even speaking to me.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by TorontoCanadaEh
Thanks! was wondering if anyone had more recent experience. I'll pm the last poster on that thread.
Any update on the situation as a Canadian Nexus holder, with a F-1?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jowt
Any update on the situation as a Canadian Nexus holder, with a F-1?
I was the original poster on the thread linked in post #2 . That was back in 2014, and I can say from personal experience that that situation did not change until at least mid 2016 (when I stopped using my F-1 OPT and switched to TN-1). Have a lot of friends who are in a similar situation (Canadian F-1 or F-1 OPT) and report they are still experiencing this problem, getting X on every entry. Seems not much has changed, but curious to hear if anyone else has a different experience.
jowt likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by asdf098
...Have a lot of friends who are in a similar situation (Canadian F-1 or F-1 OPT) and report they are still experiencing this problem, getting X on every entry. Seems not much has changed, but curious to hear if anyone else has a different experience.
I'll update the thread in August 2018, when I start to travel on a F-1
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:31 am

I am a UK citizen, GE member, and have been travelling regularly on an F-1 visa into JFK from 2016 to the present. When I got my GE in the US embassy in London, the officer told me this was being granted tied to the F-1 visa, and that I would not be able to use it for entering as W-T or W-B (which I have never needed to do).

I always use the kiosks, which show the F-1 option, and give me the X because of needing to check the I-20. I then get sent to the diplomat line, and processed speedily. They ask me what I'm studying and where, take my prints again, stamp the passport and I go on through.

This was fine until mid-2017 when this started being a problem. One officer told me (in typically blunt style) that I was "not allowed to use GE because you're entering on an F-1; these other people have priority over you" and sent me to the back of the line. When I got back to him again, he sternly told me not to do this again, but let me through. I asked another agent later, who laughed at me for trying to use GE with an F-1. Next time, the officer was more friendly, but confused as to why I was using GE—he genuinely thought I could not use GE with an F-1. I mentioned the website saying that it was fine, and that I was granted the GE on the basis of my F-1 and he was again confused, thought it was perhaps mistaken, but said, "just keep coming to the front of the line".

I will arrive again today, and hope this will be ok. It's not nice to be afraid to use a system you have paid for and to face a dressing down—or worse! What do you think is happening here?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by carserus
I am a UK citizen, GE member, and have been travelling regularly on an F-1 visa into JFK from 2016 to the present. When I got my GE in the US embassy in London, the officer told me this was being granted tied to the F-1 visa, and that I would not be able to use it for entering as W-T or W-B (which I have never needed to do).

I always use the kiosks, which show the F-1 option, and give me the X because of needing to check the I-20. I then get sent to the diplomat line, and processed speedily. They ask me what I'm studying and where, take my prints again, stamp the passport and I go on through.

This was fine until mid-2017 when this started being a problem. One officer told me (in typically blunt style) that I was "not allowed to use GE because you're entering on an F-1; these other people have priority over you" and sent me to the back of the line. When I got back to him again, he sternly told me not to do this again, but let me through. I asked another agent later, who laughed at me for trying to use GE with an F-1. Next time, the officer was more friendly, but confused as to why I was using GE—he genuinely thought I could not use GE with an F-1. I mentioned the website saying that it was fine, and that I was granted the GE on the basis of my F-1 and he was again confused, thought it was perhaps mistaken, but said, "just keep coming to the front of the line".

I will arrive again today, and hope this will be ok. It's not nice to be afraid to use a system you have paid for and to face a dressing down—or worse! What do you think is happening here?
Hi Carserus,

Just dropping a note to find out how your last entry to the US went - did it go smoothly, or did you experience a repeat of 2017? :/ I'm a GE holder and I'm about to apply for an F1 visa, so I am rather invested in how things turned out for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.