Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:42 pm

Is there a verdict on whether vitamins/dietary supplements (such as elderberry in the capsule form, or herbal treatments) are considered food?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by samosa

that is a loaded question. At pre clearance specifically, they have photos of your bag. The discretion to open your bag at secondary is there whether you declare or not. Yesterday I declared my one piece of chocolate. I gave my receipt, boarding pass, and passport and said just one piece of chocolate— the cbp officer said thanks welcome back as he looked at the photo (carry on and checked luggage photos are attached to your boarding pass scan)
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to roughly know what to expect and see if there might be a delay or not that I'd have to ready myself for.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nayef
I feel like we just had it lucky because we flew from YUL to IAD with two small things of hard Quebec cheese in the checked bag and my girlfriend had a Kinder Surprise egg (that are banned from the US) that she'd forgotten in her carry on, which obviously only went through Canadian security screening and so CBP wouldn't have known about it. We answered "no" to everything, completely forgetting that we had cheese in our luggage. The only thing we declared was a couple of bottles of alcohol and they let us through. It was only after we got back that I realized we were lucky.

So if we were to bring cheese or chocolate the next time (not Kinder Surprise eggs) and we declare them at US preclearance, would they automatically have to bring the checked bag out to check its contents? Or is it a matter of discretion? And if they do bring the checked bag, does that take time?
Another thing to consider. You're assuming CBP doesn't have a beagle sniffing the baggage downstairs. There is a possibility they already flagged the baggage for additional inspection and was waiting for you to make a declaration as to the contents within. So you could have ended up being caught making a false declaration.
samosa likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Another thing to consider. You're assuming CBP doesn't have a beagle sniffing the baggage. There is a possibility they already flag the baggage for additional inspection and was waiting for you to make a declaration as to the contents within. So you could have ended up being caught making a false declaration.
That's another thing I'm praying won't be an issue. Just keeping tabs on my email and logging onto TTP every few days to check my status.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The discretion to open your bag at secondary is there whether you declare or not. Yesterday I declared my one piece of chocolate. I gave my receipt, boarding pass, and passport and said just one piece of chocolate— the cbp officer said thanks welcome back as he looked at the photo (carry on and checked luggage photos are attached to your boarding pass scan)
Just curious: Are the photos on your boarding pass, or do they just show up on the CPB screen?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Just curious: Are the photos on your boarding pass, or do they just show up on the CPB screen?
They're just images that appear on CBP's computers.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
They're just images that appear on CBP's computers.
Thanks. Why would a CPB officer want to look at the outside of one's luggage to determine whether to send one for secondary?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks. Why would a CPB officer want to look at the outside of one's luggage to determine whether to send one for secondary?
It's an image of the inside. Presumably an x-ray or something else of the sort.

Edit: To be clear, CBP scans your boarding pass, which is linked to the barcode on your luggage tag. That's how they know which bag x-ray is yours.
seawolf and 747FC like this.

Last edited by Nayef; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Only on their screen. Basically this is my understanding of how it works (for Canada preclearance)

1. You receive BP from airline
2. CATSA security scans your luggage tag prior to x-raying your checked luggage
3. CATSA scans your BP prior to x-raying your carry-on luggage
4. GE declaration
5. CBP takes your receipt and chooses to pull up your luggage on screen. (I assume they may be able to get the actual x-ray if needed, but never noticed)

For the question about supplements being food, I think it depends on the type of supplements (and possibly discretion)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I think they might have access to x-rays too, but I assume they profile based upon the looks of the luggage. Box vs. Bag, brand, wrapping, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
Originally Posted by LASNRT
I have seen this consistently, most recently at the GE kiosks at the pre-clearance facility in Dublin, but also in SFO, LAX, LAS, DEN, IAD, EWR, and ORD. Same question, word for word, every time.
Tonight at BOS. I was asked the same "hidden" food question. I marked it "yes" and received an "X" on the printout. The officer asked what food I had with me and I told him. Received a "Welcome home" and was off to baggage claim.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raven_FL
Tonight at BOS. I was asked the same "hidden" food question. I marked it "yes" and received an "X" on the printout. The officer asked what food I had with me and I told him. Received a "Welcome home" and was off to baggage claim.
Yup, this is identical to what I get every. single. time.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
That's another thing I'm praying won't be an issue. Just keeping tabs on my email and logging onto TTP every few days to check my status.
I wouldn't worry about it. You are in the clear. If there was an issue, it would have been brought up during inspection. My point was more for next time.

Only on their screen. Basically this is my understanding of how it works (for Canada preclearance)
1. You receive BP from airline
2. CATSA security scans your luggage tag prior to x-raying your checked luggage
3. CATSA scans your BP prior to x-raying your carry-on luggage
4. GE declaration
5. CBP takes your receipt and chooses to pull up your luggage on screen. (I assume they may be able to get the actual x-ray if needed, but never noticed)

For the question about supplements being food, I think it depends on the type of supplements (and possibly discretion)
CBP scans BP which will indicate bags checked (if any) along with images. They then ask you to declare whether these bags are yours (and if applicable whether you packed them, aware of contents, bringing any items for anyone else etc etc).

Originally Posted by Raven_FL
Yup, this is identical to what I get every. single. time.
What does it say on receipt? Answering Yes to food question results in circle with refer to baggage control printed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
What does it say on receipt? Answering Yes to food question results in circle with refer to baggage control printed.
Actually I was referring to the “welcome back” from the customs agent. I should have been more specific. You’re correct about the circle (and not an X) - I’ve had the circle with “report to baggage control,” and never had an X.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue

Actually I was referring to the “welcome back” from the customs agent. I should have been more specific. You’re correct about the circle (and not an X) - I’ve had the circle with “report to baggage control,” and never had an X.
Apologies, I'd been traveling about 24 hours when I posted. Near the top of the receipt there was an X by the question number that was flagged. There was also a big circle on the receipt with the "report to baggage control" message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.