Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
(sigh).

It doesn't matter if the kiosk includes the word 'food' or not.

The RULES require you to declare ALL foods.

Unlike 'ordinary' travelers who might confuse 'declaration' with 'allowed', GE members are expected to know the rules. The rules say that you DECLARE all foods, even if you know (or think you do) that they are allowed.

Yeah, the odds of getting busted for not declaring a box of candy and getting caught are pretty slim, but there are some zero tolerance agents out there. Folks coming to this forum for advice need to realize that the RULES require you to declare everything. It's a personal decision whether or not you want to risk your TT privilege by taking a chance.
ESpen36, 1KChinito, HkCaGu and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by polarbears

In SFO they still say “food”.

I declared something just last week. I barely got to say “candy and snacks” before the agent said “welcome home” and waved us along (the new system without the agent after baggage claim).
Had similar experience at LAX a few weeks ago. Walked up with the big mark on my form, he didn't even ask, I didn't get a chance to say anything, just looked at us and waived us thru.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by polarbears
In SFO they still say “food”.

I declared something just last week. I barely got to say “candy and snacks” before the agent said “welcome home” and waved us along (the new system without the agent after baggage claim).
Looked like SFO changed the immigration and customs flow somewhat (at least for international terminal G arrival). You no longer have to hand over the declaration form before exiting the customs after luggage carousels.

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working. Looks like they are doing both immigration and customs duties now, and the attitude this time was horrible, but I wasn't going to argue my way out so I just said I will keep that in mind next time.

I don't know what to think of SFO now.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I always declare my food - whether its chocolate, cookies, spices or cheese. Every time i bring cheese they ask me if I have brought in meat. I never bring meat, but I think they just associate meat with cheese. I do pad my schedule knowing that 30% of the time I'll have to go through secondary inspection of my bag.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by LCUF
Looked like SFO changed the immigration and customs flow somewhat (at least for international terminal G arrival). You no longer have to hand over the declaration form before exiting the customs after luggage carousels.

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working. Looks like they are doing both immigration and customs duties now, and the attitude this time was horrible, but I wasn't going to argue my way out so I just said I will keep that in mind next time.

Thank you for sharing. Currently there are seven U.S. airports have unified immigration/customs screening. SFO is one of them.

Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:25 am

I'm a new GE member and used GE for the first time at YVR pre-clearance yesterday. Sure enough the term "food" was present on the list of food items. As suggested by other here I declared the food and got a big circle on the slip. I was carrying snacks. The officer briefly asked what food I was carrying. I explained and that was it. Added no more than about 5 secs to the process.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working.
First, did the officer specifically say I-94? The written I-94 went away 5 years ago and was an arrival/departure record, nothing to do with customs. I don't prepare a customs form just in case. I've only had one instance of the kiosks being down, and I filled out the form on the spot in front of the officer without issue.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Returned through DEN from NRT a couple of weeks ago. Selected "yes" for food, got the circle on the form, and when I presented it to the customs officer I said "I just have some candies and snacks." He said "thank you for declaring" and waved me through.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
First, did the officer specifically say I-94? The written I-94 went away 5 years ago and was an arrival/departure record, nothing to do with customs. I don't prepare a customs form just in case. I've only had one instance of the kiosks being down, and I filled out the form on the spot in front of the officer without issue.
Yes, the officer specifically said I-94, probably for immigration not customs, like you said, arrival/departure records. The flight attendants were still handling them out for visitors. He was saying that if the GE kiosks were all down and I hadn't filled out one I would be waiting at the back of the lines for the regular lines instead of the GE lines. Trying to teach me a lesson I guess, and with that attitude he was showing, I probably wouldn't be able to fill that out on the spot anyway. YMMV?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Returned NRT-HNL today. Declared food, got O. Presented slip to agent, who failed to ask any questions and waved us through. Asked him “Aren’t you going to inquire about the O? He said we would be asked after baggage pickup. Duly noted, presented slip as we approched baggage claim exit, showed my IPhone-stored list of all the food we had, and after one clarification question about the preserved plums, the agent waved us through.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 30, 2018 at 1:38 am Reason: Missed L in HNL
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 747FC
Returned NRT-HN today. Declared food, got O. Presented slip to agent, who failed to ask any questions and waved us through. Asked him “Aren’t you going to inquire about the O? He said we would be asked after baggage pickup. Duly noted, presented slip as we approched baggage claim exit, showed my IPhone-stored list of all the food we had, and after one clarification question about the preserved plums, the agent waved us through.
I declare food often at IAD when using GE. Usually it’s chewing gum and maybe something like chocolate that gets me to declare food. They ask me what is being declared, take my slip and wave me through before baggage claim belts.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I declare food often at IAD when using GE. Usually it’s chewing gum and maybe something like chocolate that gets me to declare food. They ask me what is being declared, take my slip and wave me through before baggage claim belts.
My past experiences were consistent with yours. Today’s, as described in my previous post, was anomalous.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:35 am

As mentioned a few posts ago, SFO is using unified immigration/customs. The customs officer at the booth directly past the GE kiosks takes the GE slip. I previously experienced this in August and again the other day. In both cases the officer asked about the O and I said (truthfully) "duty free cookies" and was on my way. YMMV I guess based on officer's mood and profiling.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: CX Silver
I have been much less lucky when declaring "food" and am regularly sent to agricultural inspection. This happened last week when declaring chocolate from Mexico, but happens to me with some regularity over the past 18 months. I asked two different officers in Philadelphia last week, both of whom said that, yes, I should be declaring chocolate or processed nuts or whatever.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:52 pm

Should you google image search for the APC kiosks, you will see this:

these are the "foods" that should be declared, no others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.