Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Absolute

My reference was an agent at EWR (since you still need to go through the booths with children) who told me he would let me off with a verbal warning, but that my bottle of wine was considered a violation; he had told me I could not use GE with duty free, although it seems like it was just him being upset with me.

He was quite clear though, that yes, wine/booze must be declared as "food", or whatever the wording is.
Odd, given the separate question about whether you have cigarettes, liquor, etc. in excess of duty free allowance. Would seem odd to be able to answer that "no" but still be in violation for not declaring that liquor as "food" (and what about chewing tobacco?).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:57 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Odd, given the separate question about whether you have cigarettes, liquor, etc. in excess of duty free allowance. Would seem odd to be able to answer that "no" but still be in violation for not declaring that liquor as "food" (and what about chewing tobacco?).
Given that he was incorrect about the usage of GE terminals, I take it with a grain of salt, but am very, very, hesitant to risk my status
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:36 am

Little confused......

I declared food at YYZ preclearance GE kisok, but the form did not have "O" printed.

CBP asked me about food and I said "yes I have food and declared at the kiosk" but the form was missing the ''O".

Long story short, I convinced the officer that I know how to declare foods and never messed about with my truthfulness when responding to CBP questions both in person, on paper and via machine.

Anyone else experienced such problem where the O is missing despite declaring it at the machine?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Interesting. O is on all of my declarations.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Do you think that maybe you selected YES, but then selected NO TO ALL by accident?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here to share experiences and offer practical advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs in order that they can travel with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

Please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
GE declaration with carton of cigarettes

<deleted>

I came through GE immigration and marked 'No to All' after reading the questions, specifically, the question about if you have anything over the allowance to import. I had bought a carton of duty free cigarettes. US customs laws allow one carton duty free. At the exit of customs, the agent asked if I had brought anything back and I told him about the carton of cigarettes. He told me I should have declared it (how?). He was professional and nice, and acknowledged it was fine for me to bring a carton back but told me to declare it next time. I'm very confused by this. Should I have clicked something else or was the agent misinformed?

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2018 at 8:19 am Reason: Note to moderators
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA
Long time lurker on flyertalk. I finally think I have something of substance to add. I have GE. On certain trips I buy art -- all over 100 years old, not for resale. I came back from a trip where I bought some things -- some already framed. I came through Terminal 1 at JFK and the set up had changed since I last flew through there. I had more than the $800 and some food, all declared and I wrote a list. First customs guy looked it over and said fine and kept it along with my GE slip and waved me and my baggage through. A second person stopped me and directed me over to the dreaded steel tables. Now I did have a lot of luggage because of the art. I was asked how much I spent. I could not remember exactly what I gave the other guy as I had written it out the day before with the receipts. So I over estimated. The customs person took out one of the blue forms and had me write the number and sign my name and emphasized the importance of me signing the document. I was asked if I was carrying over $10,000 in cash -- I said no, was asked how I paid, and I said card. I offered to show receipts but no, it was inspection time. The agent made some small talk which was an obvious attempt to be friendly but also to distract me. My carry ons and art bag were searched. I was about to open the checked suitcase but was told I could go.

As many have pointed out it is the accuracy of the declaration that is of importance, especially for GE. That was what was emphasized to me when I was asked to sign a declaration on the total amount spent right in front of the agent. Art over 100 years old is not subject to duty so I had no worry about the inspection, and there was nothing problematic. I err on the side of caution as GE has saved me a lot of time and I do not want to lose it.

I have gone through checks before when bringing in art but this was the first time I was asked to sign the blue customs form in front of an officer.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by arttravel
I came through Terminal 1 at JFK and the set up had changed since I last flew through there.
I've often wondered how this works with declarations at JFK now. I assume it's like the other terminals where the USCBP officer collects your GE receipt before exiting to the baggage hall. Perhaps filling out the blue paper form is now necessary since you otherwise wouldn't have a receipt since the officer collects them right after the kiosks.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've often wondered how this works with declarations at JFK now. I assume it's like the other terminals where the USCBP officer collects your GE receipt before exiting to the baggage hall. Perhaps filling out the blue paper form is now necessary since you otherwise wouldn't have a receipt since the officer collects them right after the kiosks.
Please discuss this topic in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ty97
He was professional and nice, and acknowledged it was fine for me to bring a carton back but told me to declare it next time. I'm very confused by this. Should I have clicked something else or was the agent misinformed?
Did you ask?

What's next -
"how much cash do you have"?
"$100"
"You should have declared that so we can determine whether you're over the $10,000 limit"?

I agree that you seem to have followed the instructions, and CBP wouldn't have a basis to discipline you for not declaring cigarettes within the allowance.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by drewguy
Did you ask?

What's next -
"how much cash do you have"?
"$100"
"You should have declared that so we can determine whether you're over the $10,000 limit"?

I agree that you seem to have followed the instructions, and CBP wouldn't have a basis to discipline you for not declaring cigarettes within the allowance.
If he had declared the carton the agent would likely have sclded him for declaring things that don't need to be declared (see the numerous "chocolate as food" posts here -- opposite situation as in that case you always want to declare).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If he had declared the carton the agent would likely have sclded him for declaring things that don't need to be declared (see the numerous "chocolate as food" posts here -- opposite situation as in that case you always want to declare).
I would declare all food and cigarettes.
Not all food and not all cigarettes are allowed (and cigarettes may still be taxable). Currency is currency, not ambiguity(* there are restrictions - must declare gold, is 10k per group not 10k per person)

Cbp explcitily says to declare all food, even if it's generally admissable like cookies

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1310/kw/
Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/
You must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

The following are generally admissible:
- Candy and chocolate
Flavored cigarettes not allowed. May be taxable
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...20excise%20tax
Bidis - essentially flavored cigarettes - are not generally permitted entry. For more information see the Tobacco Control Act.

In addition, cigarettes may be subject to Federalexcise tax.

​​​​
Old May 3, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: United Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Lufhtansa Miles and More, British Airways Executive Club.
Global Entry Declarations

I recently entered the U.S. through EWR using Global Entry. I answered NO to all of the questions on the kiosk. After handing my white ticket to the Customs Officer, he pointed to the duty free bag I was holding. He said "what's that." I replied that it was my duty free purchases that totaled less than $800. He told me that it had to be declared regardless. Is this true?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Retiredflyboy
I recently entered the U.S. through EWR using Global Entry. I answered NO to all of the questions on the kiosk. After handing my white ticket to the Customs Officer, he pointed to the duty free bag I was holding. He said "what's that." I replied that it was my duty free purchases that totaled less than $800. He told me that it had to be declared regardless. Is this true?
That depends on what you purchased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.