Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:51 pm

What do you do about packaged snacks that some agents consider declarable food and some (most) don't?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
In this case, there's no line and barely interaction with CBP. There are no questions (and no receipt in some locations now). At LAX, for instance, the CBP officer is standing with a tablet, manning the kiosks and waving people through as long as they get the green check mark screen. There's no stop after that, including at the exit to the customs hall.

Absent the questions, paper forms that can be collected at the exit, and any other interaction, it would completely be incumbent upon the traveler to reach out to CBP at the appropriate point in the process (duty desk, ag, etc.) if there were declarable items.
If bolded section means if a traveler is carrying $20K cash, it would be incumbent upon traveler to flag down an officer to declare despite officer waiving traveler thru and at no point asking "anything to do declare?" then I can't say I agree.
DoB840 likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 7, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by richarddd
What do you do about packaged snacks that some agents consider declarable food and some (most) don't?
Just declare it.

They will probably roll their eyes but you are being honest. Nobody can fault you for being meticulous in following the rules.

I declare vitamins.

Originally Posted by seawolf
If bolded section means if a traveler is carrying $20K cash, it would be incumbent upon traveler to flag down an officer to declare despite officer waiving traveler thru and at no point asking "anything to do declare?" then I can't say I agree.

Lots of double negatives in that sentence so a bit hard to follow. Can you clarify?

It is completely incumbent on the traveler to make a declaration.

I haven't seen this happen in the US but here in France customs agents have stopped me and others far outside of the customs area to ask me how much money I was carrying... in CDG at the RER train station for example...

In the US legally speaking they can stop you even outside the terminal... and many miles beyond. So my advice with currency-- declare it. Not something you want seized and/or risking criminal marking for.
GUWonder and princeville like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 7, 2021 at 6:00 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Lots of double negatives in that sentence so a bit hard to follow. Can you clarify?

It is completely incumbent on the traveler to make a declaration.

I haven't seen this happen in the US but here in France customs agents have stopped me and others far outside of the customs area to ask me how much money I was carrying... in CDG at the RER train station for example...

In the US legally speaking they can stop you even outside the terminal... and many miles beyond. So my advice with currency-- declare it. Not something you want seized and/or risking criminal marking for.
Wanted to clarify if officer takes your receipt and just waved you thru to exit (without asking anything along the lines of you have anything to declare), you would stop and say I have cash/liquor/food to declare? Just stating that I would exit as directed.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Wanted to clarify if officer takes your receipt and just waved you thru to exit (without asking anything along the lines of you have anything to declare), you would stop and say I have cash/liquor/food to declare? Just stating that I would exit as directed.
If you have cash in excess of $10,000 you are *obligated* to make a *formal* declaration- in the US and in most countries for that matter. That's the law. And for carrying money it is not usually a verbal declaration. It is usually a written form so that financial authorities can track it. Much the same as if you showed up at your local bank with more than $10k in cash, they would ask you the source of the income.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
If you have cash in excess of $10,000 you are *obligated* to make a *formal* declaration- in the US and in most countries for that matter. That's the law. And for carrying money it is not usually a verbal declaration. It is usually a written form so that financial authorities can track it. Much the same as if you showed up at your local bank with more than $10k in cash, they would ask you the source of the income.
I suppose for a GE you should know better but I think for general public they would just exit as directed despite being "obligated" as you indicated.

Going back to the post that started this (283) which is in reference to food, I would walk out as directed but I only bring back allowed food items such as solid chocolates (not kinder eggs) and potato chips (don't ask don't tell).
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 7, 2021 at 6:46 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:57 pm

I suppose for a GE you should know better but I think for general public they would just exit as directed despite being "obligated" as you indicated.
Err I think that international money laundering laws far supersede GE rules.

As someone who has traveled to 120+ countries I can assure you that this obligation is prominently shown at the vast majority of border crossings. Including in the US.

If you have any doubts about it, I would suggest you stop and ask an official.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The officer with the tablet at LAX isn't in a position to check anything. And, as I said, at least at LAX there is no paper receipt. At MCO based on the recent post and at AUA (as of May 2021) there are no questions, but there is still a paper receipt. In the case of AUA, an officer was standing next to the kiosks and collecting the receipts immediately.

With respect to how to declare items when there are no questions or receipt, it would be the traveler's responsibility to go to the appropriate place in the customs hall (for currency, duty, or agricultural inspection).
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:04 pm

So last few times I've used the GE machine, it simply took my photo and immediately printed a receipt. There was no time or opportunity to ask/answer any customs related questions.
What if I am bringing "food" or gifts or cash in excess of $10K? How should I go about declaring those? Or is it that GE travelers can no longer do such things? (Or, conversely, are we so privileged that there is no need to declare? )

P.S. Oh, I see this has been discussed. There must be an "official position" by the CBP? Is it that GE is not to be used if there is anything to declare?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tr3k
What if I am bringing "food" or gifts or cash in excess of $10K? How should I go about declaring those?
When you transport into or out of the United States currency and/or other monetary instruments in a combined amount exceeding $10,000, you must file a FinCEN Form 105 with the CBP. This may be done by using a paper form or electronically (FinCEN Form 105 CMIR, U.S. Customs and Border Protection).
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
When you transport into or out of the United States currency and/or other monetary instruments in a combined amount exceeding $10,000, you must file a FinCEN Form 105 with the CBP. This may be done by using a paper form or electronically (FinCEN Form 105 CMIR, U.S. Customs and Border Protection).
Ok, sounds good. What about food or general goods to declare, that normally would be declared on the form or using the machine?
DoB840 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, sounds good. What about food or general goods to declare, that normally would be declared on the form or using the machine?
I agree with what Majuki has written above.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If he asks you must answer truthfully. When the question is "do you have any food" I list every last cracker, cookie, whatever that I have taken from the plane and airport lounges. If they say we don't care about that it is their problem not mine.

If he doesn't ask then you are only required to declare what is required by regulations. Per CBP website:
All travelers entering the United States are REQUIRED to DECLARE meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, soil, animals, as well as plant and animal products
If you don't have anything in that category then there is no need to pro-actively declare it. Note "Food" is NOT included on the list (that was a question that appeared on GE terminals).

Of course there are other requirements like declaring purchases that exceed $800pp, alcohol that exceeds limits, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
I agree with what Majuki has written above.
That sounds like a pretty big drawback for GE. Essentially, can only use GE when there is nothing to declare - otherwise (i.e. a single cracker in the bag), it will take longer than going through the regular immigration. Seems like a pretty poor decision by the CBP, if so.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:29 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note

The Trusted Travelers forum is the place for discussing practical (not policy) issues directly related to programs such as Global Entry.

Please save the commentary for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future posts consisting of opinions and commentary will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.