Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 19, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
The word food is buried in the plants/meat question in GE kiosk.
Thank you. I'll look out for it next time. In my original post, I mentioned that I had a 2-hour connection. It ended up being a 20-minute connection, so I was definitely distracted and racing through the process. Made the flight though!
Old May 23, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
The word food is buried in the plants/meat question in GE kiosk.
Is this consistent though? I thought there have been recent posts here where the catch all word 'food' didn't appear?
Old May 23, 19, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
Is this consistent though? I thought there have been recent posts here where the catch all word 'food' didn't appear?
I don't enter US at many airports but it has been consistently there for several years at ORD, CLT, JFK, and YUL. Again the word food is buried in the question (middle of the 2nd or 3rd line of the plant/meat question). So if you read only the first line of that question, you will miss the word food completely.
Xyzzy and TWA884 like this.
Old May 23, 19, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
There have been times that it didn't ask about generic food but specific meat, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. I always answer "Yes" anyway. I don't mind spending ten seconds with an agent telling me "that doesn't matter."
Old May 23, 19, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I don't enter US at many airports but it has been consistently there for several years at ORD, CLT, JFK, and YUL. Again the word food is buried in the question (middle of the 2nd or 3rd line of the plant/meat question).
That's consistent with my experiences at JFK, PHL, MIA and LAX.
Old May 23, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
I saw a food question, but I think it read something like "Are you bringing in Meat products" So I clicked NO.

I don't recall seeing a question about ALL food, or any food, just meat. Granted, we were rushed and racing to catch a connection, so I might have missed something.
You are lucky that your being rushed and perhaps misreading the question did not result in you being caught in GE hell. (revocation).
Old May 23, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
I don't enter US at many airports but it has been consistently there for several years at ORD, CLT, JFK, and YUL. Again the word food is buried in the question (middle of the 2nd or 3rd line of the plant/meat question). So if you read only the first line of that question, you will miss the word food completely.
Yes, and I have seen this 'food' word now for the last 5 or 6 years pretty much since this thread and its predecessors began. My typical POE is LAX, SFO, ORD, or JFK. I've seen the question universally at other airports too. However, I remember for a few years - 2011 through 2014? - the question only included items that needed to be inspected for admissibility - meats, dairy, etc. - and didn't have the generic 'food' word. I also remember recent reports of people saying they didn't see the generic 'food' word. Whether or not the people read the entire question or accurately remembered is another matter. I think USCBP officers these days are used to seeing the O for food items to the point where there isn't as much scrutiny as there was back when GE debuted. Of the dozens of times I've declared food since the question has been in its current form, I think I've been sent to ag an average of 10% of the time.
seawolf likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 1:15 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I have seen this consistently, most recently at the GE kiosks at the pre-clearance facility in Dublin, but also in SFO, LAX, LAS, DEN, IAD, EWR, and ORD. Same question, word for word, every time.
Old May 24, 19, 10:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
we always say yes to ANY food

Especially at California airports where food items tend to be more strict.
Old May 28, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Plat, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
Especially at California airports where food items tend to be more strict.
California airports, from the perspective of what you are undoubtedly legally required (as opposed to a sleazy catch all that would probably not pass muster if ever challenged, if anyone wanted to go through that pain) to declare, are not more strict as to what you need to declare. They MAY be more strict as to what you would be allowed to keep after said declaration and inspection. Now, I will say that my experience is that I'm more consistently asked about "food" by inspectors at SFO, in particular, than most other airports in the US, including at LAX and SAN. My guess is that it is related to some sort of directive there, as well as a heightened consciousness of the differences in California's agricultural import laws than other countries.
Old May 30, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
California airports, from the perspective of what you are undoubtedly legally required (as opposed to a sleazy catch all that would probably not pass muster if ever challenged, if anyone wanted to go through that pain) to declare, are not more strict as to what you need to declare. They MAY be more strict as to what you would be allowed to keep after said declaration and inspection. Now, I will say that my experience is that I'm more consistently asked about "food" by inspectors at SFO, in particular, than most other airports in the US, including at LAX and SAN. My guess is that it is related to some sort of directive there, as well as a heightened consciousness of the differences in California's agricultural import laws than other countries.
Surprisingly my last trip through GE at SFO, with an O for snacks and candy, didn't even get a question from the receipt taker.
Old May 31, 19, 9:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Correction in that the word food is actually buried in the first sentence.
Old May 31, 19, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
My theory

My theory is based on convos with friends who worked for CA Dept of Agriculture - agents are trained that ANY food brought in could be a hazard to crops and so they are instructed to double check for any items that might have pests lurking.

My therory
Old May 31, 19, 11:10 pm

I've landed at SAN around the 2003 - 2004 time frame arriving from the UK and all residents and citizens bags were subject to an agriculture x-day. I went through a period of not flying direct to SAN on an international flight. More recently I've started taking the SAN - LHR flight and they don't seem to do that kind of inspection anymore.

I've also been stopped by agriculture inspection on the I-15 driving to San Diego from Las Vegas and asked if I was carrying any fruit.
Old Jun 1, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Plat, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
My theory is based on convos with friends who worked for CA Dept of Agriculture - agents are trained that ANY food brought in could be a hazard to crops and so they are instructed to double check for any items that might have pests lurking.

My therory
The California Department of Agriculture isn't stationed to look for anything at airports. Also, it is false that "any food" brought in can be a hazard to crops.

Originally Posted by blue_can View Post
I've landed at SAN around the 2003 - 2004 time frame arriving from the UK and all residents and citizens bags were subject to an agriculture x-day. I went through a period of not flying direct to SAN on an international flight. More recently I've started taking the SAN - LHR flight and they don't seem to do that kind of inspection anymore.

I've also been stopped by agriculture inspection on the I-15 driving to San Diego from Las Vegas and asked if I was carrying any fruit.
Yes, those ag inspection stops are open pretty rarely.

Search this Thread